What Are You Watching: Movie and TV Show Edition

Zenophilious

@Andromis

Roadside picnic is an awesome book. Back in the days I had a habit of reading every book by the author I liked. Picnic is the best of Stugacki’s . The rest of their work is a bit propaganda influenced.

:yumiko:

It always was bit strange to me that all the harsh Stalker concept came from that book. All that tough guys wearing gas masks and fighting mutants scavenging for everything , while the original Stalker is more like a Riko Reg and Nanachi from Made in abyss. That is just my impression. Well they also do all of the survival thing but you know...

On 2/19/2018 at 3:37 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I great movie with an incredible atmosphere IMO, but a very slow one. I hope you'll enjoy it, it's one of the more memorable ones I've ever seen. :)

After watching it, I will have to agree with you 100% it was an amazing movie even though it seems that it is one of those movies that either bores you 30 minutes in or keeps you interested and mesmerized the whole way through like it did with me. Everything about it from the cinematography, the style and soundtrack is amazing. It's a shame that people were critical of it once it first came out. But what amazes me the most about it is how in one of those typical examples of life imitating art, just a few years after the movie, Chernobyl would occur. The quarantined area around the area are referred to as the Zone of Alienation, the Zone of Exclusion or the Fourth Zone and scientists who study the forbidden region (and the guides who take people there illegally) even refer to themselves as “stalkers” in reference to this amazing piece of film.

On 2/20/2018 at 1:20 AM, BlackCatPrincess said:

@Andromis

Roadside picnic is an awesome book. Back in the days I had a habit of reading every book by the author I liked. Picnic is the best of Stugacki’s . The rest of their work is a bit propaganda influenced.

:yumiko:

It always was bit strange to me that all the harsh Stalker concept came from that book. All that tough guys wearing gas masks and fighting mutants scavenging for everything , while the original Stalker is more like a Riko Reg and Nanachi from Made in abyss. That is just my impression. Well they also do all of the survival thing but you know...

Roadside is one of those books that I recommend everyone that I know to read, it is an classic IMO. Also, I find it funny that you mention S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as it is what introduced me to both the book and movie and even though it is based very loosely on both it does reference many important plot points from the book, such as

Spoiler

the wish granter and the unknown force blocking the path to the center of the zone and also contains elements such as anomalies and artifacts that are similar to those described in the book as well, but that are created by a supernatural ecological disaster (Chernobyl) and not aliens like in the book.

All in all, it is an amazing book that will always be one of my favorites and the movie that was influenced by it is amazing as well.

P.S. You mentioned that you have read more of the Strugatsky brother's books, and even though most of them were propaganda influenced as you mentioned, is there still any that you would recommend?

Edited by Andromis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got back from watching Infinity War and really liked it. A well put together wham episode for the MCU.

Spoiler

Okay, I know it's probably not going to happen and morbid as it may sound, am I the only who thinks it might be more interesting if all the deaths that happened in this movie stuck? Then the sequels could take some different directions than expected: Guardians 3 could focus on Stallone's group that were introduced in 2 and maybe the main characters could be Rocket and Nebula trying to get over losing all their teammates, in Black Panther 2 it could be about Shuri or maybe M'Baku taking up the mantle, Spiderman 2 could be about Miles Morales or Ben Reilly which could lead into an MCU take on the Clone Saga.

• 4 weeks later...

Started rewatching Scrubs. My god, the show isn't THAT old, but it's making me feel odd. I looked up an image of Elliot's actress as she is now and felt the passage of time.

Still love the show, though.

Edited by Jun Inoue

I saw Fahrenheit 451 recently and man what a mediocre movie that was. They got some props for at least trying to modernize it somewhat but they did way too much. The acting was pretty poor across the board except for Michael Shannon who did his best. Michael B. Jordan was good for at least part of the movie but he made the switch way too early and it felt fake. I didn't like the changes they made to the plot it was just dumb and unnecessary. Plus, no fucking mechanical hound what the fuck?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got home from the movie theater. I watched "2001: a space odyssey" at an special event projection. I went for 2001 because everything else sucked, and I'm not disappointed at all, oh no. What a freaking brilliant movie. I first watched it like 10 years ago so I barely remembered how good it was, plus I think I was too young back then to fully grasp some things. 

So yeah, I left the theater in a state of euphoria. Truly a great experience and a masterpiece.

• 1 month later...

Watched virtually every Marvel movie, aside from The Incredible Hulk, because I don't give a shit about that one  lol  I originally watched Iron Man 1 when it first came out in theaters, and my next one was Infinity War.  I went back and watched all the others after IW.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:24 PM, Zenophilious said:

Watched virtually every Marvel movie, aside from The Incredible Hulk, because I don't give a shit about that one  lol  I originally watched Iron Man 1 when it first came out in theaters, and my next one was Infinity War.  I went back and watched all the others after IW.

Reactions? People tend to either enjoy the simple entertainment they offer or hate everything they stand for.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Reactions? People tend to either enjoy the simple entertainment they offer or hate everything they stand for.

I initially avoided them because I was afraid of Disney Disney-ifying them, and removing swearing, violence and sex jokes.  Infinity War put those worries to rest (Quill actually says that Thanos has a nutsack for a chin lol), so I decided to go back and watch the rest of 'em.

I liked them quite a bit, as a whole.  TDW and AoU were meh and meh-er, but stuff like The Winter Soldier, Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War made up pretty easily for them.  It helps if you just shut your brain off and just enjoy the spectacle.

• 4 months later...

Rewatching episodes of the Hong Kong drama, "Journey to the West" (1996). I only rewatched one episode the other day for the fun of it, but I found myself hooked enough by the story to keep watching. lol Probably not going to have too much time watching this though, what with my VNs, so I'm only watching a single episode every now and then.

• 9 months later...

I'm currently on a nightly showing of Stephen King's It duology, now around the last third of the Chapter 2 and sharing with a whole crowd of people the amazement with how awful it is. I didn't care that much for the first part but holy shit, how could they mess up it this heavily?

Literally, it's a Golden Rasberry-grade movie. Just with decent actors and way higher budget than the horrible script and bitter-laughable CGI scares deserved. 3/10 and a good 4-points drop from the Chapter 1.

Edit: 2/10 for the last 40 mins. That was just really bad self-parody. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Oh, hey, I was talking about series going downhill and turning into pitiful self-parodies last time. So... How are you guys enjoying the new Star Wars? :chaika:

Actually loved it. Not only was a great film, it solved quite a number of the issues and, well, absolutely shit, that the previous one started.

7 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Really? How so. Especially more than ep 8.

Well, I don't hate it as much as The Last Jedi, but it's actually even more silly/does even more harm to the canon. I don't really feel like writing an essay, but I was basically laughing bitterly at the movie jumping the shark every other second and contriving weird stuff like the dagger in the shape of Death Star wreck watched from that one point on the cliff (like, WTF???)... Basically, 90% of the stuff in this video. If I made one, it would probably be less perceptive (so, 40 minutes of whining instead of 75), but just as negative. :P

I liked some stuff, like Ray showing some personality and internal conflict for the first time on the whole trilogy... But it was drawn in the atrocious pacing and complete lack of logic and taste. But I'm also that old expanded universe fan that would be somewhat hard to please, and after TFA I was already aware these movies will only bring me misery. I just didn't expect it to be this intense.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

On 11/23/2014 at 2:16 AM, Zenophilious said:

Thought I'd start a thread where people could talk about the movies they just watched.  We have one for anime, so why not movies in general?  Feel free to talk about any movie, new or old.

Just watched Fido the other night.  It's about civilization after the zombie apocalypse and how zombies are essentially forced into servitude through these weird collars manufactured by some ridiculously powerful corporation.  It's not meant to be taken seriously at all, and is quite humorous if you've seen other zombie movies.  The main character actually names his zombie servant "Fido" and plays fetch with him.

Have a hankering to watch The Dark Knight again; love that movie so much, and I haven't seen it in a while.

EDIT: Just changed it to movies AND TV shows, since why require another thread to talk about TV shows?

Hi,

I like animation movies to watch. The last movie that I have watched is Boss Babby and I suggest you guys to watch this awesome movie. This is a fantastic animated movie ever.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...