What Are You Watching: Movie and TV Show Edition

Zenophilious

watched drive, really good movie. This song was awesome

Right?  I really loved the mid-movie genre shift.  I ended up buying the whole soundtrack after I saw it.

Re-watched an old Wallace and Gromit episode from a DVD that we had lying around.  That mean old robot just wanted to ski  :/

Right?  I really loved the mid-movie genre shift.  I ended up buying the whole soundtrack after I saw it.

Re-watched an old Wallace and Gromit episode from a DVD that we had lying around.  That mean old robot just wanted to ski  :/

It reminded me a lot to hotline miami for obvious reasons :P which was released 1 year after the movie so I'm sure it was inspired even if just a little by this movie.

And yeah that change in the middle of the movie was really good I wasn't expecting it.

Of course it inspired Hotline Miami, silly.  The developers explicitly thank the director of Drive, Nicolas Winding Refn, in the credits for Hotline Miami for making Drive.

I don't always like genre shifts, but the way Drive's was executed was really impressive, in my opinion.  The first half pulls you in and gets you attached to the characters, and then the latter half is so much darker and violent, yet even if you don't really like that stuff, you're still emotionally invested and want to know what happens.

As someone who is perpetually late to the party, I just saw Max Max Fury Road for the first time a few days ago. That is a ridiculously good movie. Incredible pacing, incredible cinematography, and some of the most compelling world design I've ever seen. One of my favorite things about it is that it doesn't ever stop for exposition. It knows exactly what the viewer needs to know and doesn't need to know, and picks the perfect times and means of informing the viewers of these things.

If it was an anime, it would be stretched to at least 13 episodes and stuffed full of meaningless dialog and exposition. Fury Road will become my go-to example for how to do a lot with very little whenever the topic of excessive exposition in storytelling comes up.

Saw Antman tonight. Pretty decent humor, the ending action sequences were very fun and novel, but overall forgettable. The sentimental moments were extremely flat and Corey Stoll felt incredibly miscast and his character was a boring cliche. 

Watched more of Babylon 5 Season 3, good to see Sherridan and co. finally take on a Shadow ship and they're doing a good job building up the growing threat of Earth's government and I wonder which is going to happen first: the all out war with the Shadows or when Sherridan and co. will have to confront Earth and subsequently Psi-corp head on. Also very curios as to what's going to happen with G'Kar's apparent enlightenment.

I started watching season one of Fargo.

The movie narrowly beats No Country For Old Men and The Big Lebowski as my favorite Coen brothers movie, so I'm happy to discover that (3 episodes in) the television show perfectly captures the feel and themes found in the movie. The humor, savage violence, and nihilistic bent is all there. Billy Bob Thorton's character is an absolute force of nature and it tickles me to no end to hear Martin Freeman (who is wonderful in the show) speak with an Wisconsin accent. I really shouldn't have waited as long as I did to watch this.

I recently watched "Wolf of Wall Street" and thought it was pretty funny and interesting overall. I am also watching the TV show "Orange is The New Black" under recommendation of a family member and so far it has been an interesting ride and I am not even done the first season. I am also waiting for Trailer Park Boys season 10 which looks like it's going to be another great season with the boys :D

More on Babylon 5: Awesome two parter in how Sherridan and co. deal with Earth for the moment and some good character building episodes too, but damn did the last one get dark especially considering how light it started, poor Vir...

Saw Ant Man, enjoyable superhero comedy overall though I kind of wish they'd made the main villain more over the top. Also saw Jurassic World, overall I enjoyed it though I wish there been more scenes with Chris Pratt's character than the kids, who I spent most of the flick rooting for the super dinosaur to chomp on.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I watched 13 Assassins and Big Trouble in Little China, the first was an enjoyable samurai flick (though that was weird twist with one character) and the second is a classic for a reason: it's the most subtle over the top comedy I've seen :lol:

Today I binge watched Daredevil (can't wait for the next season) and then watched the first Berserk movie...where I beheld the most gruesome thing in this entire series: the CGI. It's so bad it makes the CG used by the Asylum look good; it looks more dated than the CG for Babylon 5 (which was  a TV show from the 90s) or the Wing Commander FMV games. If a sharknado suddenly showed up the only reason it would look out of place is because it would look like a Final Fantasy CG scene by comparison :angry:

watching densha otoko pretty interesting series so far

EDIT:

well I dropped the series in the episode 8 because I can't stand the main character anymore, he cries and cries come on... but I saw there was a movie so I watched it and it was really good, it was actually believable how he reacted to everything (being an otaku), the last part where he cries it was actually pretty good and sad.

Romanzo criminale 2nd season ep 6:

I lold on how they decided to change the events of the book (which is based on real life history of rome's underworld) and kill off il nero (the black), a character based on Massimo Carminati, who became famous last year as the boss of the so called "Capital Mafia". When the TV series was made he was he was still acting in the shadows, they considered him unimportant enough to be killable.

Finished "Romanzo Criminale" (crime novel), after the execution of "il nero", the show started derailing pretty hard from real life events, like

Freddo (Crispino in real life) killed by Donatella at the end or the marriage between Dandi (Renatino) and Patrizia

that was total bullshit.

Anyway, great show indeed, if you're interested in "real" organized crime stories.

++++++++++++++++++++

After the end of RC I decided to watch another organized crime drama from my country, "la piovra" (the octopus), the main antagonist is one of the greatest villains ever and  vaguely (actually very vaguely) reminded me Hozuki Masaomi from Sharin no Kuni:

Gaetano "Tano" Cariddi, a shady businessman trying to use mafia power for his own goals:

d96c3062b0.jpg

It's long saga composed by 10 season produced between 1984 and 2001, despite being completely fictional, the description of "The Octopus" (Sicilian Mafia and corrupted powers orbiting around it) is very realistic.

Finished watching it for the first time this morning (I never even watched an episode before).

• 3 weeks later...

Watched The Breakfast Club on Sunday evening.  I thought that the beginning was pretty good, but about halfway through I started to get tired of the "we're friends after only a day, but we still have massive arguments before somehow making up and repeating the whole cycle over and over again" bit.  The ending was pretty bad, in my opinion, and failed to make it stand out from the typical cliche 80s movie.  Bit of a bummer, because I thought Bender's character was fairly interesting.

failed to make it stand out from the typical cliche 80s movie. 

It's one of the most quintessential 80s films, so I'm a bit amazed that you came away from it thinking this way. If anything, a lot of those typical 80s cliches you're alluding to is because of the Breakfast Club and its legacy. As for the ending, it is a little cheesy in a 2015 context, but so is most of the movie anyways. 

I'm aware that it existed before the stereotype, but I still kind of found it hard to enjoy, even knowing that.  Probably didn't help much that my family hyped it up a lot to me after they saw it as a midnight movie.  I enjoyed the first half, but I still don't think that the second really delivered on the expectations I developed from watching it.  I should have had more realistic expectations going into it, but I guess that just didn't happen.  I've mostly heard about 80s movies from my parents or through the cliches they started, so it's a little hard for me to know what to expect from them.

Watched Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time a few days ago.  Watching it again because I didn't really get what was going on in the beginning and I found it rather hard to understand what a few of the characters were saying at times.  Not that into cars, and I haven't seen any of the other Mad Max movies, but it was pretty enjoyable, even if I thought the plot could have been a little better.  They certainly nailed the action scenes, though, and the main characters were pretty damn interesting.