What Are You Watching: Movie and TV Show Edition

Zenophilious

Watched two movies today, the first one was Despicable Me 2, which I really enjoyed for how hilarious it was, even better than the first movie (though I blame GotG for me occasionally referring to Gru as Groot by mistake). The second was an indie holiday movie from a studio I've grown fond of recently (Arrowstorm Entertainment) called The Christmas Dragon...it was okay; it took a little too long to get moving forward storywise, the ending was kind of rushed and there were times it seemed to struggle with being a fantasy film, a Christmas film, and a kids' film. Still I wouldn't say it was bad as when it found its fun points it was fun to watch, the CGI dragons were as good as usual (they beat syfy and The Asylum easy), the music was nice and the movie was well shot.

Just finished The Dark Knight Returns, in which an aging Batman comes out of retirement to kick all kinds of ass. It's like The Dark Knight Rises, only good. 

In fact, its my favorite Batman story ever. Its a shame Frank Miller is batshit insane, but he wrote maybe two of the most enjoyable Batman stories with Year One and Dark Knight Returns. 

So many boobs.  I watched it with family...boy, did I regret that decision.  Leo was great in it, though, he played his role perfectly.  The guy deserves an Oscar for something.

I'll be disappointed when he does.

No need to break the streak, that would just kill the jokes about him not ever winning one.

Somewhat related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRKISr2vTU

Wow, Nightcrawler is amazing. This is without a doubt the best movie of the year. 

Great script, great tone and pacing, great camera work and most importantly: Perfect acting. Everything was tense, dark and the suspense doesn't fade one bit. The only thing I dislike, is the music. This weird techno-rock-hop doesn't really go with the movie.

Go watch nightcrawler. And in case you're living somewhere with a supported language, watch it in english.

Watched Big Hero 6 today, all together fun and awesome movie. The short just before the main film was pretty nice (and cute) too.

I've heard good things about Big Hero 6. It's one of a very few modern Disney movies I've had a want to see.

A freind of mine said it's based of a magna lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Easily one of my favorite movies. What were you confused on?

Saw the Final Cut, so the ending and the unicorn bit really confused me until I looked up its Wikipedia page afterwards and saw the explanation.  I understood everything that was happening up until the end, but it really threw me for a loop.

I never really got a chance to feel attached to the characters, so I felt more like a neutral observer, which, for me, isn't that good, since if I'm not attached to a character I don't really care what happens to them.  Like I said earlier, though, the set design and the overall setting of the movie was amazing.  Even though the story itself didn't really impress me, the work they put into making it seem real was astounding.

Ah, I think that's a little beyond me. I don't often get attached to characters in films. The running time (compared to games and VNs) makes it hard to do that. It's more about the quality of the story and how interesting the themes are for me. Overall it is a story about androids. Who can really relate to an unfeeling robot? But obviously, that gets thrown into question. We never really develop much sympathy for Deckard, but we slowly gain it for the replicants. They're the ones being hunted, perhaps for good reason even, but they appeal to something anyone can relate to - the drive to survive and live. In my opinion, while you can't get attached to the characters, there's a lot of room to feel for them. The ending alone is enough to propel Blade Runner into my top 10 movies of all time.

Everything about Roy Batty's death is just great. He went beyond what even a human would do by saving Deckard, the man who hunted and killed his friends. He ended up being the most human character, doing something most people wouldn't do perhaps precisely because he isn't. Alternatively, maybe he saved Deckard out of a sense of kinship? There's just so much too it.

Just finished watching 'As Above, So Below'. If you liked 'The Descent' then you might like this movie. Emphasis on might because it's definitely been there, done that as far as movie plots go. I'm not claustrophobic but all those scenes beneath the city of Paris made me uneasy and gave me goosebumps.That's probably why I personally try to avoid elevators as much as possible. It was an entertaining movie but when characters make dumb choices like going deep into the earth in search of treasure even though they know that there is a rumor that it's hell down there, then that takes me out of the movie whether I like it or not. The ending was kind of weird, so if someone can explain it to me then please do so.

Ah, I think that's a little beyond me. I don't often get attached to characters in films. The running time (compared to games and VNs) makes it hard to do that. It's more about the quality of the story and how interesting the themes are for me. Overall it is a story about androids. Who can really relate to an unfeeling robot? But obviously, that gets thrown into question. We never really develop much sympathy for Deckard, but we slowly gain it for the replicants. They're the ones being hunted, perhaps for good reason even, but they appeal to something anyone can relate to - the drive to survive and live. In my opinion, while you can't get attached to the characters, there's a lot of room to feel for them. The ending alone is enough to propel Blade Runner into my top 10 movies of all time.

Everything about Roy Batty's death is just great. He went beyond what even a human would do by saving Deckard, the man who hunted and killed his friends. He ended up being the most human character, doing something most people wouldn't do perhaps precisely because he isn't. Alternatively, maybe he saved Deckard out of a sense of kinship? There's just so much too it.

Watched Bridget Jones' Diary for the first time. It was pretty good! Pretty funny, the right guy wins, just perfect in that sense. Not that the movie itself didn't have a few problems, but a highly enjoyable rom-com. Those speaking skills tho.

Watched Nightbreed today.

Damn, what a fun movie. I think some of the monsters in it top some of the original cenobites. Maybe.

Ah, another Clive Barker enthusiast. I have yet to watch this one, but I'll be sure to get on it especially since that new director's cut edition seems to have come out recently. A reboot is in the works, hopefully they can bring back Doug Bradley back as Pinhead. So hard to find a horror film that actually scares me nowadays...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42664