What Are You Watching: Movie and TV Show Edition

Zenophilious

Thought I'd start a thread where people could talk about the movies they just watched.  We have one for anime, so why not movies in general?  Feel free to talk about any movie, new or old.

Just watched Fido the other night.  It's about civilization after the zombie apocalypse and how zombies are essentially forced into servitude through these weird collars manufactured by some ridiculously powerful corporation.  It's not meant to be taken seriously at all, and is quite humorous if you've seen other zombie movies.  The main character actually names his zombie servant "Fido" and plays fetch with him.

Have a hankering to watch The Dark Knight again; love that movie so much, and I haven't seen it in a while.

EDIT: Just changed it to movies AND TV shows, since why require another thread to talk about TV shows?

Lol, I've been meaning to create this thread for a year. +1

Let's see...

In the last couple of weeks I've watched Nightcrawler, Big Hero 6, Interstellar, A Most Wanted Man, and Fading Gigolo. I enjoyed all of them except Interstellar.

Wow, I accidentally ninja'd you.  Cool, I guess?  I seem to have an amazing ability to do that.

Oh, how was Nightcrawler?  I was mildly intrigued by the trailer for it.  Didn't hurt that I thought it was a Nightcrawler superhero movie at first  xD

Why didn't you like Interstellar, by the way?  Don't plan on seeing it, I'm just wondering; don't really like Matthew McConaughey that much, even if he's actually trying to be a decent actor now.

Oh, how was Nightcrawler?  I was mildly intrigued by the trailer for it.  Didn't hurt that I thought it was a Nightcrawler superhero movie at first  xD

Why didn't you like Interstellar, by the way?  Don't plan on seeing it, I'm just wondering; don't really like Matthew McConaughey that much, even if he's actually trying to be a decent actor now.

Nightcrawler:

Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic. I've really been impressed with his more recent roles - End of Watch, Prisoners, and now this.

The movie itself has this bizarre, partly surreal atmosphere that that really characterizes pretty much the entire movie and makes it a hell of a good ride.  It doesn't take the twists you might expect and there's subtle details about Gyllenhaal's character that moves him from unnerving to downright horrifying. It had no trouble keeping my attention for two hours. It's one of those movies that leaves a really big impression, so much so that it's hard to really critique it.

Interstellar:

Eh... it's like a combination of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception - in a way that just didn't work for me. There's a lot of cool concepts and details in the movie, but it's narratively uninteresting and there's something off about the way the characters are written. I think it's the kind of movie that my opinion of will improve with further viewings, but I don't think it will enough for me to say I like it.

I went to see the new Hunger Games movie today. It was pretty good, even though I'm not a huge HG fan. Oh, I watched Dodgeball with my cousins this morning, too. For probably the 20th time, at least.

Yeah I also just watched it. 

That complete psychological breakdown at the end though. Damn.

Interstellar:

Eh... it's like a combination of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception - in a way that just didn't work for me. There's a lot of cool concepts and details in the movie, but it's narratively uninteresting and there's something off about the way the characters are written. I think it's the kind of movie that my opinion of will improve with further viewings, but I don't think it will enough for me to say I like it.

The music is amazing in that movie. I absolutely love Hans Zimmer's work, especially when he's paired with Christopher Nolan.

Yeah, the movie did have some flaws, but it sure did have it's fair share of epic moments, such as the docking scene. Holy shit that was intense.

mfw I saw that the lightsaber had a crossguard:

4fc7fb2a0e3d3.png

Yeah, my initial reaction was one of stupefied, ambiguous shock. Not sure how I feel about it.

It kind of makes sense given Star Wars' track record of people losing hands, but as someone on reddit pointed out... it would just redirect the clashing lightsaber to the hilt of the lightsaber and *poof* you're disarmed.

Yeah, my initial reaction was one of stupefied, ambiguous shock. Not sure how I feel about it.

It kind of makes sense given Star Wars' track record of people losing hands, but as someone on reddit pointed out... it would just redirect the clashing lightsaber to the hilt of the lightsaber and *poof* you're disarmed.

Yep, that sounds like it would happen; I paused the trailer right when his lightsaber extended, and just like you said, it'd hit the hilt, or you could just chop off the metal protrusions the lightsaber crossguards are coming out of.  I really don't think the people that thought that up realize how normal swords work  xD

Honestly, if they don't have people singing I'll go see it, just to find out if it's a train wreck or not.  I couldn't stand it if they got Star Wars characters to sing, that'd be a deal breaker for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Graduate yesterday. I saw clips of this movie before but this was the first time I watched the whole thing. Damn, that was an unsettling experience. I still can't determine whether it was a tragedy or a comedy.

Although the movie ends with Elaine and Benjamin fleeing from the control of their parents, do they really love each other? Is their elopement motivated by love, or are they just acting on urges to free themselves of the restrictions of Bourgeois expectations? What's more, Benjamin threw away his promising future for this girl. He may have strove for freedom, but in the end he is tied to Elaine whether he wants her or not.

I loved the song Scarborough Fair, it captures the overall feel of the movie so accurately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdmOV2RITk

no pls continue~

I recently watched Interstellar and I liked it a good bit. Definitely too many flaws to say I'm a serious fan, but it was a good time

still confused about the

whole 'humans evolved into higher dimensions" thing that was claimed at the end, right? Makes no sense to me

It feels to me like the first 2/3 of the movie was setting this grand stage and making all of these bold claims and taking all of these big steps and all that, settin something big up. And then they get to the end and it's like "lol wtf do we do with all of this?" "idk let's jsut find a way to end it and hope they liked the first part so much that they look past the last 45 mins"

I have a hankering to watch Spaceballs again.  Love that movie, it's so dumb it's glorious.

Everyone's a bunch off assholes in that movie, just sayin'.

I watched The Godfather the other day inside the theater that comes with my amenity building. The theater was awesome, the reclining leather chairs were the bomb and the TV was great too. Wasn't soundproof like the realtor promised, however. The movie was cool too.