Good, Bad, Interesting Anime Adaptations of a VN

JRaiKetchum

Hi Minna-san!

Probably to one topic I have the most interest in when it comes to VN's are the anime and/or manga adaptations. So I am curious, what games that you have seen adapted into anime that were *mimics Demetri Martin* good, bad, and interesting. Please feel free to explain your reasoning.

I will start it off with mine

*grabs a Large Pad on an easel*

Good: Kanon (2006). The staff at KyoAni left no stone unturned and remained as faithful as they could. They found a way to tell everyone's story and give each heroine merit. Combined with the high visual and audio quality that is commonplace in their works. (If you want to see a good example of their quality shining through, check out AIR, their first solo production which made kagikko cry out for Kanon)

Bad: Tsukihime. The staff completely derailed the plot. The story was a jumbled mess trying to weave together the plots of each character from the two different "sides of the moon". The adapatation was so bad that Type-Moon now requires that they are part of the planning process for any adaptations.

Interesting: Yosuga no Sora. It was the first time I had seen a series trying to preserve the same structure as a VN. I personally enjoyed in the previews where they would mention which point the branch occurs. And being broadcasted on satellite channels ment that they could push the boundaries to keep as many scenes in as possible.

Ja, ne

-Rai

Good - Steins;Gate: even though a few small things had to be cut out, the subbed anime stayed true to the VN's identity. The dub is still good, but some of the jokes are slightly changed in order to cater more towards American audiences. As always sub > dub. Nothing quite matches the experience of the visual novel, though. 

Ugly - Shuffle!: not much to say except that (just like in the VN) Asa-senpai is both the standout heroine and standout character in general. Everyone else is pretty meh

I see. I heard complaints about pacing. Is that true? Or is there some deeper reasons? I know it is the 2nd work done by Key that was not handled by KyoAni due to scheduling conflicts (first one being the first Kanon series by Toei). That one also interests me since my friend is a huge fan of the series.

-Rai