Rewrite, give me good reasons to play this ...

Reposting a question which got ignored/lost.

I need a few valid reasons to keep playing Rewrite.

It was recommended to me a while ago and I finally started playing it

I'm around 6 hours in... and when does it stop being boring and starts making sense ?

Some Characters are interesting, but by wanting to make the characters untypical they only made them inconsistent in the way they act, which is really disturbing.

I'm having a hard time to get a grasp of their personnalities (Yoshino, MC, Akane and Lucia for example) since they change their attitude in the blink of an eye for no apparent reason.

We also get hints that strange stuff is happening and still have to go through uninteresting slice of life fluff.
Come on game ! Take me to the real story, I don't care about stupid exams, drinking tea or whatnot.

Why ? Does this game need SOL ? Is it focused on SOL ?

In 6 hours : 3 songs your hear over and over again (to the point where I had to mute the game), meh comedy, 10-15 minutes of text relevant to the story.

The game is praised quite often on the forum, I really do not understand why.

It kinda suffers from the LB problem where absolutely nothing happens in the common route... Except Rewrite's common route is huge. All of the heroine routes are better than LB's, and the game shines in the Moon and Terra routes. 

The characters aren't reeeally inconsistent, you just know barely nothing about them. Their reasons and behavior is explained in their own routes. Yoshino's behavior is explained in the Moon route, if you don't realize it sooner, lol. Yes, things will happen. Lots and lots of them. Might not be your cup of tea, though. 

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't force yourself to read something you aren't enjoying. 

Seems like you need a VN with faster pacing.

I recall the egs score is only 76 or so. This doesn't mean much.

*Facepalm* Evertim ...

So, let me quote my first post : "I need a few valid reasons to play the game", which is actually different from, "I need a few valid reason not to play this game".

Maybe some things I've read are relevant for the rest of the story and are important without me knowing it yet.

Telling me not to play does NOT provide any useful information or arguments in favor of the game.

I'm surely not the only player who has faced this issue, so rather than telling me to quit, tell me why I shouldn't.

And if you still think I should quit, tell me why ? What does the game do well or not that I didn't yet see?

A fact is that rewrite has a terrible common route, but still has decent reviews; why ?

Also, thanks Kaguya for the answer.

PS: Think of it as an idea : "Why is X Vn worth reading" ? which was already something a member tried to do a while ago.

It was recommended to me a while ago and I finally started playing it

I'm around 6 hours in... and when does it stop being boring and starts making sense ?

Some Characters are interesting, but by wanting to make the characters untypical they only made them inconsistent in the way they act, which is really disturbing.

I'm having a hard time to get a grasp of their personnalities (Yoshino, MC, Akane and Lucia for example) since they change their attitude in the blink of an eye for no apparent reason.

We also get hints that strange stuff is happening and still have to go through uninteresting slice of life fluff.

Come on game ! Take me to the real story, I don't care about stupid exams, drinking tea or whatnot.

Why ? Does this game need SOL ? Is it focused on SOL ?

In 6 hours : 3 songs your hear over and over again (to the point where I had to mute the game), meh comedy, 10-15 minutes of text relevant to the story.

The game is praised quite often on the forum, I really do not understand why.

The thing about Rewrite's common route is that it is very much indeed pointless in terms of the overall arching plot.

The only things you get out of it include a comedic slice-of-life (which you definitely do not seem to be enjoying), a slight preview of the heroines' personalities, and some small foreshadowing of the supernatural stuff going on.

Rewrite becomes much, much more serious once you get past the common route and into the individual routes. If you can tank the common route for another ~10-20+ hours, it MAY be worth it, but it sounds like this just isn't your cup of tea.

? This is just a video of gameplay, this is not a solution at what i'm asking, try with a thousand words next time.

I can say that after 6 hours playing, you're still in the introduction of a >50 hours novel... so it's normal this slice of life climate.

They are constructing the base of the plot and the characters, even if it is with a kind of comedy that you dislike...

It's the same thing that happens in Grisaia no Kajitsu, but for me, that Common Route was boring as hell.

I tried to post a gameplay cuz I though it would be funny, but well haha

The plot starts next to the Common Route's end, when the month changes to November.

But if you don't like this comedy, don't read, as they said up there.

But I can say that you'll miss a really good story later... or not haha

I could describe it as "the world taking revenge on humans."

Edit: A thousand pictures is no good? =(

Rewrite is epic, but if you even have to ask such questions, you're clearly reading the wrong thing (for you).

Especially the "SOL" part. If you feel like so, you should also avoid all VNs by the same company.

It is true that there's some kind of genre-shift later, but without ability to appreciate the so-called "SOL" part, it will likely won't be as big of an impact for you as it is supposed to.

Also I haven't watched the video above, but there's no gameplay in Rewrite. Only some map-movement that is largely irrelevant in your case.

Slice of life in a game focused on Slice of life such as Clannad is completely fine, Slice of life in a game which does not focus on it is a waste of time. Unless it is justified.

And yes, it's a slice of life VN so far, I don't know why the "" is necessary.

And when I said gameplay I simply meant a small playthrough of the game. I know there is no gameplay per to say.

I'll keep "Rewrite is Epic" though.

Edit : I'll keep in mind what you said in your edit, thanks.

Slice of life in a game focused on Slice of life such as Clannad is completely fine, Slice of life in a game which does not focus on it is a waste of time. Unless it is justified.

I don't understand this.

Yes, Rewrite starts as a kind of slice of life, then slowly it becomes not-so-slice-of-life. That's how Rewrite is, and this is why it's Epic - because of how it executes this. Whether you like this approach or not is for you to decide, not us.

I only want to stress the fact that you're not supposed to think about this at all. You should read it if you like it, and shouldn't if you don't. Later parts depend on earlier parts. It's all mixed and I can't imagine liking it "partially" (maybe when it comes to some girl's routes but not the way we're talking about here). These latter parts will be "just OK" for you at best.

Basically it seems to me that you had some hopes about it but now you feel disappointed. Happens. But regardless of what reasons we may invent here, I don't think they'll make you truly like it.

Rewrite is focused on not being focused on something one, on mixing genres.

Edit2: that is, Rewrite is a comedy-drama-action-mystery-slice-of-life-fantasy-romance (<-- in no particular order)

Edit:

Come to think of it, let's stay on topic. If you wanna me to give you a reason, I'd say its a Booby-ending that is available after you clear everything else (don't remember exact conditions). Booby-ending clearly makes all other parts worth to suffer-through.

Well, the "slice of life" part is indeed explained, since we have some facts that happened in the past [of the story] that make Kotarou do normal things .-.

Btw, if you want good reasons to like the game, play through it. You'll find out by yourself. And be more polite, geez

I do experience those kind of moments when the common route is ridiculously dragging on for so long. But if we're going too look at the bright side, it's all part of the novel, every chunks of words we read. One tip is try to have a breather when you're really getting bored and get back to it when you're feeling fresh again.

Rest assured, Rewrite is your modern day badass novel. Well, that's what I thought when I had my first play through. :P

Want a good reason to play it?

The Slice-of-Life comedy filled common route.

Oh, wait. It seems you aren't enjoying it. Do you not see something fundamentally wrong here?

You can't ask for a 'valid reason' or a 'good reason' for these are all subjective. 

I, for one, never finished Terra route as I didn't like the shift in tone. I enjoyed most else, though I also had some issues with some routes (Kotori and Shizuru) and the supernatural parts of the common route, as I thought they were annoying (as it turned out, those parts are what was actually important for the rest of the game. Lucky me).

What this game offers:

Common Route

• Comedy;
  • Slice of Life;
  • Supernatural tidbits and tastes of what is to come.
  • Foreshadowing.

Girl Routes

• Romance;
  • Supernatural/Chunni (or whatever, not too proficient on these);
  • Action;
  • New perspective on old events and the common route - A look at the behind the curtain of what was going on during the almighty suspicious common route;

Moon Route

• Really strange romance-looking thing (nope, can't describe it better than this);
  • Climax for the Girl Routes;
  • Epicness;

Terra Route

• Explains what was actually going on with a shift in tone;
  • Explains your past, because god knows the other routes tell you sod all;
  • Explains more stuff I never got to see, so read it yourself and tell me about it.

^My best efforts at being objective and at describing things. Also a prime example as for why I never do it.

Want a good reason to play it?

The Slice-of-Life comedy filled common route.

Oh, wait. It seems you aren't enjoying it. Do you not see something fundamentally wrong here?

You can't ask for a 'valid reason' or a 'good reason' for these are all subjective. 

I, for one, never finished Terra route as I didn't like the shift in tone. I enjoyed most else, though I also had some issues with some routes (Kotori and Shizuru) and the supernatural parts of the common route, as I thought they were annoying (as it turned out, those parts are what was actually important for the rest of the game. Lucky me).

What this game offers:

Common Route

• Comedy;
  • Slice of Life;
  • Supernatural tidbits and tastes of what is to come.
  • Foreshadowing.

Girl Routes

• Romance;
  • Supernatural/Chunni (or whatever, not too proficient on these);
  • Action;
  • New perspective on old events and the common route - A look at the behind the curtain of what was going on during the almighty suspicious common route;

Moon Route

• Really strange romance-looking thing (nope, can't describe it better than this);
  • Climax for the Girl Routes;
  • Epicness;

Terra Route

• Explains what was actually going on with a shift in tone;
  • Explains your past, because god knows the other routes tell you sod all;
  • Explains more stuff I never got to see, so read it yourself and tell me about it.

^My best efforts at being objective and at describing things. Also a prime example as for why I never do it.

What? But rewrite is not worth mentioning at all without the Terra route. It's where all the amazingness happens :P

As someone who hated the common route with passion, I would say it's still worth a read for what comes afterwards. Would somewhat compare it to Muv-Luv, with the first game being about as awful and boring as it gets and Alternative being amazing. 

Of course, I wouldn't compare the Moon/Terra routes with MLA in terms of quality, but you get the gist of it.

What? But rewrite is not worth mentioning at all without the Terra route. It's where all the amazingness happens :P

Evidently I disagree, which is also why I think the question as a whole is badly worded or plain stupid.

Just because what may come after could be the best thing ever for you, that may not be the case for Maefdomn and certainly wasn't for me.

You can't ask for objectivity on something based on opinions. I did try to be objective somehow, but that wasn't much more than describing what happens.

I could also try and answer his questions:

Why? Because some people like common routes and the comedy. It also helps with setting the characters and stories to better the impact of what is to come after.

Does this game need SOL? It only needs it if you feel character development would be necessary for the individual routes, which I did. I cannot imagine this common route being presented in any other way than SOL.

Is it focused on SOL? Only during the common route. Afterwards you won't see too much of it anymore, if at all.

This is an honest, truthful opinion of mine: I think the common route is the best part of Rewrite. I thought it was funny, and I didn't like most of the heroine routes, and I didn't love Terra, either, although I thought it was decent. Lucia and Akane routes were pretty good, too, and Kotori route was almost good. But the best part of rewrite was probably that common route. I found it really entertaining.

Rewrite isn't really a "Key" game so I'm not sure you'd like it - it was written by the person who did Cross Channel and feels fairly different. If you want to read for another 10 hours to test whether the game is for you that's perfectly valid, though I tend to view such exercises as a waste of time these days - "If you just get through these 200 hours of tedious bullshit, the last 20 minutes will blow your mind..."   :rolleyes:

Completely agree with you that excessive slice of life in plot based novels is a bad thing.

The characters might seem inconsistent because there are things about their backgrounds you don't know yet, or perhaps you're overanalysing their behaviour. Assuming these 'sudden changes of character' are in the common, it should be within excusable limits given the light-hearted nature of that part of the game.

If you don't enjoy the common at all, you are going to have a very hard time playing through the game, which will require skipping over the vast majority of it, on-and-off rereading some sections, and reading new sections added by your new decisions each playthrough. This is by far the biggest problem I had with the game. It's reasonable enough that it might make you not want to play it, and I say that as a die-hard fan of "Rewrite".

When you say "some Characters are interesting", does this include Kotarou? If you don't appreciate the humour of the common route, I'd say there's a reasonable chance you don't like him, based on other people's opinions. I recommend you finish at least one full route (Kotori is the popular first-route-recommendation) before you decide for sure you don't like the characters. If you want to enjoy the game, you will need to at least appreciate Kotarou's character. If you dislike the protagonist, you'll dislike the game, especially the later routes.

If you really find the music that annoying, you're in for a rough ride. This game is long. You're bound to find it unbearable by the end.

Overall, I'd say you should consider dropping "Rewrite" either now or, if you're unsure, after completing a route. I, and many others, really love this game; but I can appreciate that it's not for everyone. Hope this helped.

@Tiago

I'm asking for reasons to other people than myself, so yeah I'm expecting other people's opinions.

Basically, I'm asking for people's subjective opinion. It would be a shame to stop the discussion because of that.

I'm interested to see why people liked or disliked the game.

Maybe in there I'll find good reasons or not to keep/stop playing Rewrite.

Many people brought up really good points and I'm thankful for that.

I could pose the same question to the Grisaia fans, I wasn't enjoying the common route, but it's the character routes that are worth reading.

I personally loved everything about the common route, then everything in the routes themselves. The tone changes, and you shouldn't compare reading the common route with the character routes, experience wise, since they give different experiences.