Clannad Kickstarter soon - Sekai Project

Rose

Welp they'll be drowning in money after those two kickstarters so they better start doing some original work then.

Also I wish people would stop using 'epic' as an uninspired synonym of 'very good'.

Well, Meikyuu and Rakuen are basically confirmed at this point. According to koestl, if everyone who signed the prefundia donates, there's no way they won't reach the stretch goals.

Clannad is pretty much the closest thing to a romance epic in the world of visual novels, though. It has an insanely large script (I think Key's biggest) and a story that spans many years. 

Anyways, according to Dovac, Sekai Project is still bleeding money, due to the way the projects are ran, they don't seem to be able to just say "okay, anything above x amount of dollars raised on kickstarter goes into our slush fund." They basically don't use those dollars on anything but the games they were raised for, and only when the product is released are they allowed to use the leftover money. And since they've yet to actually release any of their kickstarter games... you get the picture. 

As Decay alludes to, I think they were referring to the scale of Clannad rather than it's quality.

I might be wrong in thinking that an epic is huge not only in length but also in scale (as in: scale of the setting and the stakes of the story)? Clannad is a rather intimate romance/drama, after all.

Re: epic: one interesting part about CLANNAD is that apparently its script is "just" 3.16mb, making Grisaia no Kajitsu significantly longer at 3.73mb. (and CLANNAD about 1.5x as long as the "standard" JVN). I think a decent part of the perceived length of CLANNAD is due to having to skip and play through the choice labyrinth... though yeah Grisaia is long w. That said Higurashi Kai weighs in at 3.24mb so yeah.

Script size is generally considered more important than linecount for translation purposes though. Still, it's interesting and might have contributed to the perceived length.

No, Clannad's actual game script is definitely larger than Grisaia's. The Grisaia script's file size is inflated due to how the engine works.

Where did you get that information, though? Granted, Moogy isn't the most trustworthy source ever but he mentions whether stuff includes speaker tags in footnotes and Grisaia doesn't have one.

The TLWiki page itself says that the file size is inflated: http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Grisaia_no_Kajitsu

This list on Giant Bomb claims that Clannad is 1.3 million words and Grisaia is around 1 million, but I don't know their source: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/jagged85/lists/top-25-longest-game-scripts/89583/

The TLWiki page itself says that the file size is inflated: http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Grisaia_no_Kajitsu

This list on Giant Bomb claims that Clannad is 1.3 million words and Grisaia is around 1 million, but I don't know their source: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/jagged85/lists/top-25-longest-game-scripts/89583/

Grisaia is still 3.73mb in raw text though as Zakamutt stated. The inflated size only applied to the in-progress translation (which put the script to 5,913 KB according to their chart, which is 5.9mb(?) sorry I suck at conversions)

"Please note that the game is 3.73mb as raw text. Our scripts are somewhat inflated due to speaker tags and encoding."