Let's talk old video games

springning

Here are some of my legacy games for the older consoles and handhelds:

GB Color: Pokemon Yellow Version. I'm still very very surprised they never made a remake called Pokemon: Lightning Yellow or something.

GB Advance: Megaman Battle Network series.

Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

PlayStation: Final Fantasy VII 

PC: Deus Ex

I prefer old graphics to new graphics, in general. I prefer simple stories in video games, not a fan of voice acting. Basically older is better.

Given the choice between the grayscale texture garbage of Skyrim and old Mario art, definitely prefer Mario.

Pretty much every console game I enjoy has been from before 2004, but I don't keep up to date much.

SNES, GCN, and N64 are my favorite consoles. I don't have any of them in my apartment though, so I don't play much anymore, sadly.

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but seriously... people spend so much effort adding all these things that I don't even want and then the game costs a lot or (as is often the case of visual novels) they simply won't localize because the costs of voice acting is too high. And it's not like video games are more fun these days. People just have weird high expectations that limit them from enjoying what they used to.

That's my perception at least.

Oh retrogaming is always awesome. Some games will never leave my heart. Some of them are: Super Mario for Nintendo 8 bit, Zelda:alttp (best game ever) for SNES, Pokémon for gameboy color, Age of Empires and Command & Conquer for PC. 

But what do you classify as an old game?

I also consider dusting of my old 8 bit Nintendo or SNES just to play it again. Memories.  :wub:

It's actually all I play (besides visual novels/dating sims and Project Diva)

Every year at some point I play through one of the original (2D) Super Mario games and Lode Runner.

I hold a classic gaming challenge night once every 1-2 months too.

The last one featured:

Archon

Warlords

Magical Drop 3

Money Idol Exchanger

Mustache Boy

Clu Clu Land

When I go to Anime Weekend Atlanta they have had a classic gaming room set up for the last 4-5 years.

Trying to remember what I played last time:

They had Sexy Parodius, I remember that.

Both Cotton Boomerang and Cottom Panorama.

Dracula X for the PC Engine.

They always have Magical Drop 3 and usually one other puzzle like Tokimeki Memorial or Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Oh and they had Sailor Moon, that was a surprise.

The year before they actually had a Vectrex.  First time I ever saw one in person.

Frontier Elite 2 (i Originally played this on my first computer. a Commodore Amiga 500)

Princess Maker 2 (you can get this on dosbox!)

Dune 2 the Battle for Arrakis (again another one from the a500, precursor to Command and Conquer)

Syndicate (Cyborg Combat!!)

Dark seed 1 + 2 (side scrolling adventure game filled with H.R. Giger artwork. Very spooky)

I could list old games all day lol

omg rollercoaster tycoon xD I remember playing that stuff all the time in my grade school's computer lab.

also oregon trail or something.

Oh God, I used to be able to 1-shot everything in the hunting minigame in Oregon Trail.  I mean, sure, I never could beat it, but I never starved to death, so that's a win in my book.

I haven't played any old school games since I was a kid, although two games I fondly remember from that period were both Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Aladdin for the SNES.

Damn, if only I still had that old console. :P

I haven't played Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

Here are some of my legacy games for the older consoles and handhelds:

GB Color: Pokemon Yellow Version. I'm still very very surprised they never made a remake called Pokemon: Lightning Yellow or something.

GB Advance: Megaman Battle Network series.

Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

PlayStation: Final Fantasy VII 

PC: Deus Ex

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is also my favorite game

Gothic is a german fantasy rpg from 2001 and really popular in germany, poland and russia. It has great atmosphere, a solid story and a pretty neat world design. The sequel Gothic 2 and it's addon night of the raven is even better. 

I frequently play both every 1~2 years.

Yea, that's pretty right. I just beat Gothic I again like, month ago. Polish version has great voice acting. Polish translations/voice acting can be really good, especially in older games and RPGs.

I have great deal of NES roms; and I play once in a while game from Kunio-kun series. Basketball, or football. Well, Goal 3 was one of the best games on NES after all. When my nieces want to play on computer, I specifically want to play with them togheter. And lots of NES titles allow that. Like Battletoads. Also, Metal Slug.

They like Touhou 12.3 the most, huh. Probably because is really colorful and full of different characters.

Heroes of Might & Magic III is the game which always sits on my computer, no matter what. This, and Quake 3 Arena. I think I have... 8 years old saves in HoMM. Wow.

I played recently XCOM: Ufo Defense, Comando, Age of Wonders. And I have old Bruce Lee game from Commodore 64, remade to work on PC.

Loads and loads of old games. Yup, some of those already have good graphics, which always looks pretty well, no matter how old it is. The style, the artworks are more important for me, than how water and wind works in game... And besides graphics, they offer interesting plots and music - something, which new games don't always have. Finding old, forgotten game might be better thing to do, instead of playing newest redintion of CoD or something like that, brr.

I played recently XCOM: Ufo Defense, Comando, Age of Wonders. And I have old Bruce Lee game from Commodore 64, remade to work on PC.

I have great deal of NES roms; and I play once in a while game from Kunio-kun series. Basketball, or football. Well, Goal 3 was one of the best games on NES after all. When my nieces want to play on computer, I specifically want to play with them togheter. And lots of NES titles allow that. Like Battletoads. Also, Metal Slug.

It's been a number of years since I played it (on VICE) but Bruce Lee is a good example of how a game can be fun even when the graphics don't really look like anything.  (What is all that stuff in the background?  Some of it just looks like random pixels).  The sumo wrestler you fight is green--like it's the incredible hulk became a sumo wrestler or something.  But I still think it's a fun game.

Metal Slug, of course, has some very entertaining pixel art and animation...one of the best games of the late 90's, I think

The Megaman X series, Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology, Pokemon Crystal(my favorite Pokemon game ever), the Sonic games for Sega Genesis, I'm sure there's more but I don't remember right now. 

I play these more than new games. They have a "charm" that new games don't have for some reason. 

I don't mind playing older games, since I grew up with those kinds of graphics xD  I know there are some good ones out there despite the graphics not being up to par with more recent games, so it's worth digging up.

Plus, I almost prefer old school rpgs since I have a bit of a motion sickness thing, lol.  I won't be naming older games I enjoyed since it'd be long... but it's very similar to Clepha's rpg retro games list.