Higurashi When They Cry Headed To PlayStation 3 And Vita in Japan

Stray Cat

... 19 chapters? I didn't realize how many extra chapters were made for the various versions and for the fandiscs. Looking around the higurashi wiki, they all sound kinda lame. Also would probably completely ruin the pacing if they tried to insert them between the original 8. I would not be able to finish the story if Matsuribayashi-hen was actually chapter 19.

I feel like the visuals for this game work best with handheld devices. If I had a PS3 I would want something more quality to look at

I just thought the character design was really strange...

Realize that there are already PS2, DS, and PSP ports, and they use entirely new art. This PS3 port will also use that new art. The art is kinda average. It's better than the original's but it's still not particularly good. 

Any chance we'll see a patch that'll add in the voices and art from these ports like what happened with Umineko?

It's possible but nobody seems interested right now. Basically, there's no good way to automate the process currently unless they port the engine. I believe this is actually what they did with Umineko but apparently Higurashi's fanbase isn't as dedicated. There was a voice patch for the first chapter, I guess they did it manually? Nobody seems to be working on the rest. It might get easier once MangaGamer releases their new version, but it will take a long time for them to release the entire thing due to how long retranslation is taking (I doubt they'll have chapter 8 done before 2016).

And there won't be localisation for at least 2 years... *sigh*

I wish I was born in Japan....

There's a complete translation available on PC now, but it's not very good. There's a fan-made edit patch for the first four chapters but I found that it still misses a lot of the problems (that, or I didn't install it correctly). The translation got better in each successive chapter, it seemed. MangaGamer is currently retranslating it, and that's taking ages. No update on progress in two months, and when they were updating weekly, it was like 1% a week... on chapter 2 of 8. Enjoy the finished product in 2020 I guess.

edit: While I'm in a bitchy mood, is this also a good time to complain about how stupid I think the title's localization is? :P I kind of wish it was "When the Higurashi Cry" or maybe "When the Cicadas Cry" instead but I guess 07th's Engrish is the definitive translation.

About "higurashi when they cry"

I also think that from an artistic standpoint it's kinda bad; "when the cicadas cry" would probably be my pick (note though that according to muh research that higurashi is a specific breed of cicada which tends to cry during the evening only and is comparatively rare.)

However, fitting higurashi in there is crucial to associate it with the higurashi anime. In all probability they just looked at the anime's localized title and went by that to begin with (well, that or the original engrish i guess...), which was probably a good business move. Though I'm not sure if anyone cared, but well still it could have been.

Also, fuck Alchemist. I actually really liked the spooky-eyes stuff they did, and while it might just be liking the first thing you see some of the caramelbox sprites are pretty iffy while none of the ps2 sprites make a real bad impression (though some of the new ones are glorious as well...)

About "higurashi when they cry"

I also think that from an artistic standpoint it's kinda bad; "when the cicadas cry" would probably be my pick (note though that according to muh research that higurashi is a specific breed of cicada which tends to cry during the evening only and is comparatively rare.)

However, fitting higurashi in there is crucial to associate it with the higurashi anime. In all probability they just looked at the anime's localized title and went by that to begin with (well, that or the original engrish i guess...), which was probably a good business move. Though I'm not sure if anyone cared, but well still it could have been.

Also, fuck Alchemist. I actually really liked the spooky-eyes stuff they did, and while it might just be liking the first thing you see some of the caramelbox sprites are pretty iffy while none of the ps2 sprites make a real bad impression (though some of the new ones are glorious as well...)

I'm not sure it was present from the beginning but 07th Expansion adopted the "When they cry" as the "sub"title for their games (it's the "When they cry" series now). Might explain why it's used in the english localization.

Fun fact: there is an official localization of the game in french and the title was entirely translated in "Le sanglot des cigales". Pretty cool title if you ask me.

As for the sprites, I admittedly can bear and almost like the good ol' Ryukishi ones. Contrary to Umineko. I don't find any of the various sprite sets clearly better than the other... So w/e.

• 3 weeks later...

Localization of this game is impossible. If it had any sort of gameplay like Corpse Party, DanganRonpa, Zero Escape, then it would have a chance but a pure visual novel is just impossible to release in USA.

As we all know, MangaGamer is releasing a new translation with updated art of their own. They confirmed it that it would be on a new engine and not on BGI, which was used for the previous release. If this new engine is easily patchable I am considering to make a voice patch for it. I cannot say anything before I see how the engine works though. (If someone doesn't know, I am Levani from Umitweak, so I have experience with inserting voices to visual novels) The ideal thing for me would be if they released it on Onscripter, just like Umineko. If it was on Onscripter, it would have already gotten a voice patch by someone else and wouldn't need my involvement but the world is not that kind.

Guy, you better not click that link, it will try to execute your Windows shell, you can guess the rest.

The link is perfectly safe. The problem is on your end, which means you're already infected with some kind of malware before you ever clicked on that link. I would run system scans immediately.

Anyone has a link to mangagamer's new sprites? I'm thinking of getting this, but still on the fence...

I don't know of a place that has collected all of them, but they periodically post them to their twitter and ask.fm. It would be impossible to find them on their twitter but here's their ask.fm: http://ask.fm/MangaGamerStaff