Katawa Shoujo

Tay

8478413112_da33b8e069_c.jpg

Katawa Shoujo

Summary

Hisao Nakai is a normal kid living a normal life. A senior in High School, things seem to be going his way until, in the middle of a love confession, his heart seizes up and he collapses. Upon waking, Hisao is informed that he has a heart arrhythmia: a condition which will require major lifestyle changes if he wants to stay healthy.

Katawa Shoujo is the story of a boy, force-transferred to a school for disabled kids, and his special friends who open his eyes to what life is truly about.

Ending Guide

Katawa Shoujo is divided into five story arcs (one for each of the central characters), or "routes":

• Lilly
  • Hanako
  • Emi
  • Rin
  • Shizune

You will encounter each of these girls several times in the course of Act 1, and depending on your choices, the game will select a route for you to take. Act 2 (through the end of the game) will be different for each story arc, or "route".

What this means, of course, is that Act 1 is extremely complex in terms of choices (and the computer variables and flags associated with them). This complexity makes for an awesome story, but is difficult to explain in a textual walkthrough.

Consequently, please consider the following advice: 

I recommend playing through Act 1 making the choices that come naturally to you, and observing each of the girls carefully. By the end of Act 1, you'll more or less know in your heart which route you want to start with. If you made choices by listening to your heart, you'll probably have already ended up in the route you want!

If that's not the case, or you're playing through the game again and want to follow a different route, please see the individual route walkthroughs: they will guide you from the beginning of the game until the end, and will faithfully see you through to your chosen heroine.

Thank you for using this walkthrough. Katawa Shoujo is the first visual novel I ever played, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Also... Lilly forever!

Route Walkthroughs

PROLOGUE 
Katawa Shoujo opens to a prologue of sorts (a snowy confession) which leads immediately into Act 1: Life Expectancy. 

8477323143_a2d4717087_o.png

Lily

Good and Neutral Endings

Spoiler

*If a specific choice is indicated, it means that particular choice is necessary to avoid bad ends or to successfully start this character's route. All other choices are marked as "Your Choice." These words indicate that you can choose whichever of the answers you'd like, and that while the following scenes may differ between them, the choice itself will not hamper your progress towards a desired route/end.

Act 1
1. Your Choice (Introductions)
2. Library
3. Your Choice (Defense/Attack)
4. Introduce Yourself
5. Cute
6. Talk with Hanako
7. Your Choice (Exercise) - Depending on whether you chose "Yes" or "Maybe", follow the next sub-guides:

"YES"
7a. Give Lilly a Break
7b. Take it easy

"MAYBE"
7a. Give Lilly a Break

8. Sorry, I'm in bad shape
9. Go into Town

Act 2
10. Tell the Truth

Act 3
11. Your Choice
12. Your Choice
13. Address it
14. Your Choice

Act 4. 
** Lilly's Route Has 2 Endings: Good Ending, and Neutral Ending. Which ending you get depends on the following choice:
Talking about the Letter --> Good End
Dropping the Subject --> Neutral Ending

8478413068_665cd72093_o.png

Hanako

Good and Neutral Endings

Spoiler

*If a specific choice is indicated, it means that particular choice is necessary to avoid bad ends or to successfully start this character's route. All other choices are marked as "Your Choice." These words indicate that you can choose whichever of the answers you'd like, and that while the following scenes may differ between them, the choice itself will not hamper your progress towards a desired route/end.

** If you want to get the Hanako Bad ending, please follow the guide at the END of this route guide

Act 1
2. Library
4. Introduce Yourself
5. Cute
6. Talk with Hanako
7. Your Choice (Exercise) - Depending on whether you chose "Yes" or "Maybe", follow the next sub-guides:

"YES"
7a. Give Lilly a Break
7b. Take it easy

"MAYBE"
7a. Give Lilly a Break

9. Go to the Library

Act 2
10. Forget the Council!

Act 3
11. Admit it
12. Go into town

Act 4
** Hanako's Route Has 3 Endings: Good, Neutral, and Bad. Which ending you get depends on the following choice. The bad ending is not possible if you've followed the guide posted above. To get the bad ending, follow the guide in the spoiler tags below this guide.

Trust Lilly --> Good Ending
Trust Myself --> Neutral Ending

Bad Ending

Spoiler

These decisions will lead you to the Hanako BAD ending.

Act 1
2. Library
4. Introduce Yourself
5. Cute
6. Talk with Hanako

"YES"
7a. Give Lilly a Break
7b. Take it easy

"MAYBE"
7a. Give Lilly a Break

9. Go to the Library

Act 2
10. Help the Council

Act 3
11. Deny it
12. Let's do nothing

Act 4
Bad ending should happen automatically.

8477323197_1f0070a232_o.png

Emi

Good and Neutral Endings

Spoiler

Act 1
2. Your Choice
3. Your Choice (Attack/Defense)
4. Your Choice
5. Your Choice (Cute/Not)
6. Read my Book
7. Yes
8. Give Lilly a Break
9. Go for it!

Act 2
10. Your Choice

Act 3
11. Your Choice
12. Your Choice
13. Your Choice
14. Talk to Mum**

**If the choice you're given is downplaying the issue or Letting Misha know, choose to let Misha know. This will still give good ending, but will bypass Act 4

Act 4. 
[ Good End ]

Bad Ending

Spoiler

Act 1
2. Your Choice
3. Your Choice (Attack/Defense)
4. Your Choice
5. Your Choice (Cute/Not)
6. Read my Book
7. Yes
8. Give Lilly a Break
9. Go for it!

Act 2
10. Your Choice

Act 3
11. Your Choice
12. Your Choice
13. Your Choice
14. Downplay Issue

8477323117_6d87247929_o.png

Rin

Good, Neutral and Bad Endings

Spoiler

*The bad ending can be reached in Act 3. See note on choice 17. (Depending on choices made, this may appear as in Act 2)

Act 1
2. Ask about Deafness
3. Defense
4. Apologize
5. Not Cute
6. Read my Book
7. Maybe
8. Your Choice (Lilly a break vs. Did my part)
9. Sorry, bad shape
10. Interest in the Art Club

Act 2
11. Your Choice
12. Your Choice
13. Your Choice 
14. Your Choice
15. Your Choice (Me? vs Emi?) (Depending on your choice, you'll have two short path options)

"Me?"
[You will transition to Act 3]
15a. Your Choice ("Support" vs "Understand")

"Emi?"
15a. Your Choice ("Want to be with her" vs "Can't leave her")

16. Your Choice ("Why stop artist?" vs "Support Rin")
17. Your Choice ("Explain!" leads to Rin's BAD END) (Other 2 choices lead to Act 4)

Act 4
**The choice you make in Act 4 will determine whether or not you get the Good or Bad ending:

But if you found someone like that? --> Good End
Aren't You Happy? --> Neutral End

8478412986_33f4aa64c6_o.png

Shizune

Good and Bad Endings

Spoiler

Act 1
2. No Questions
3. Attack
4. Your Choice
5. Your Choice
6. Wait for Misha and Shizune
7. Maybe
8. I did my part
9. Dodge the Subject

Act 2

Act 3
**The choice you make in Act 3 will determine whether or not you get the Good or Bad ending:
Refuse --> Good Ending
Comfort Her --> Bad Ending

Act 4
[ Good/Bad Ending]

Note: Katawa Shoujo features notifications on choice screens which will help you see whether or not you've made a choice before. This will help all of the 100%-Driven players out there. As an added resource, please see this incredible flowchart, made by Feuver. If you're missing scenes, I'd focus on getting all the bad ends -- especially in Act 1 (they're probably what you're missing).

Attribution

This guide was based heavily on both Feuver's flowchart as well as information gleamed directly from personal experience as well as the official Katawa Shoujo site. A big thanks to Four Leaf Studios, the creators of the game, for the wonderful memories and powerful stories they've left us