What was your first Anime?

5T4R

pretty sure anime is in reference to Japanese animation animaniacs and pinky and the brain are considered western cartoons.

Yeah, Pinky and the Brian doesn't count as anime. Sorry. 

As for me, technically my first anime was Pokemon. But the first anime to really get me involved in Otaku sub-culture was Kanon 2006. 

I wonder how much of a turnoff Kanon 2002 would have been.

That's a funny question. I never considered that before. I probably wouldn't have hated it, since what attracted me to Kanon was that it was a story that emotionally impacted me for the first time. Kanon 2002 might have still succeeded in this regard (maybe, I still haven't watched it so I don't know how bad it is). Before Kanon I only watched fighting shounen, so pretty much anything that could get me to cry would have impressed me.

That's a funny question. I never considered that before. I probably wouldn't have hated it, since what attracted me to Kanon was that it was a story that emotionally impacted me for the first time. Kanon 2002 might have still succeeded in this regard (maybe, I still haven't watched it so I don't know how bad it is). Before Kanon I only watched fighting shounen, so pretty much anything that could get me to cry would have impressed me.

I've seen enough of the 2002 version to say that it's pretty bad. The animation is very inconsistent.

The characters look dreadful, I'd say they look worse than the VN.

I've seen enough of the 2002 version to say that it's pretty bad. The animation is horrible.

Considering that Berserk is in my top 5 anime, I don't mind bad animation. But the fact that there is no way you can cram all 5 routes into 13 episodes without completely compromising the story, is probably what would bother me more. Also, unlike Berserk the art style of Kanon 2002 is ugly. Berserk at least has gorgeous artwork to make up for the lack of movement.   

My first anime was Shin Chan (Xiao Shin in chinese), easy to understand even if i didn't speak well chinese at that time.

Very funny, and nowadays, in comedy animes, when i see anime doing parodies of it, i felt very nostalgic.

The last i've seen with Shin Chan parody is in Dengi Gai! 

My first one was probably Pokemon during my 6th and 7th grades, although I started watching DBZ at around the same time. The first fansub I watched was Evangelion probably a few years after it aired when a high school buddy handed me some burned CDs with the entire series. It was two 700mb CDs that contained the whole series in .RM format, it was super low res and really blurry, but somehow it was the perfect gateway drug into the rest of the anime world. 

I am like most of you here. I watched Pokémon when I was young without realizing it was anime and not cartoons. It's the same in a child's eyes of the west. But what got me into anime is probably Code Geass, FMA Brotherhood or One Piece. They were throughout awesome and never lost attractiveness.  

I am like most of you here. I watched Pokémon when I was young without realizing it was anime and not cartoons. It's the same in a child's eyes of the west. But what got me into anime is probably Code Geass, FMA Brotherhood or One Piece. They were throughout awesome and never lost attractiveness.  

Ayyyyy One Piece XD

It was captain tsubasa/dragon ball/saint seiya/ranma 1/2 one of those for sure, dont know which one was the first one, I was 4-6 years old cant really remember, just watched them like any other cartoon on the tv.

I do know that my first real anime was Evangelion when i was about maybe 10-11 years old and then Akira. (I knew that they were anime and not just some "cartoon")