Upcoming Video Games: News, Trailers and More

Stray Cat

People are really jumping to conclusions something fierce here.

this cannot be more accurate lol

You cannot possibly have even the slightest inkling of how accurate that is. Is there any reason to assume that this won't be done in a reasonable and fair way?

yes, knowing how square enix is handling things specially with their rpg, should we talk about Dragon Quest Builders? or how bad the last ffs were? if you want good reviews about them watch spoony's reviews. 
I didn't make that up about the game being episodic, they said it... and about Resident evil they don't want to show any info about the game because they know fans are going to complain also they already clarified that this was a remake different from what they did with RE for example. Again watching their last games I can tell how bad is going to be, just look at operation racoon city, RE6 or umbrella corps (I don't like revelation is not a bad game but not a good RE imo.)
You are basing your arguments in pretty much hope alone... how is it fair releasing a game in episodic way specially an rpg that we already know the story, the characters just everything about it? they are doing the exact same thing with hitman too  

We know nothing other than that they will sell it in parts. I dunno, that doesn't sound like it will be inherently bad. There are ways to do that right, and there are ways to do that wrong, and since we know absolutely nothing about how they're going to do it, I'm going to take a completely neutral stance on it. The "guilty until proven innocent" attitude some people take about these kinds of things really rub me the wrong way. It's like you want to be outraged and are finding any excuse for it.

I will love to see this companies treating their customers like CD Projekt RED does but that's something is not going to happen anytime soon... free dlc, not bs first day dlc etc etc

Also I'm not complaining about episodic games (i'm not a fan of them) but in an rpg it doesn't work, there isnt one major rpg that was released in episodic way because it doesn't work it goes against what an rpg is (only on MMOGs)

I will love to see this companies treating their customers like CD Projekt RED does but that's something is not going to happen anytime soon... free dlc, not bs first day dlc etc etc

Also I'm not complaining about episodic games (i'm not a fan of them) but in an rpg it doesn't work, there isnt one major rpg that was released in episodic way because it doesn't work it goes against what an rpg is (only on MMOGs)

Or maybe because episodic thing was never used in RPGs?

And that's not the first time they do episodic RPG (the FF 13 trilogy can be seen as one big story separated in 3 parts.

all of you are talking about sequels, is like saying that the witcher 1 2 and 3 are parts or ff13 well yes they are but they are actually sequels, with ff7 is not the same is just a game divided in many parts that once was released as 1 game, that's is not the same thing....

They stated that the game was too big to be released on one disc and all kind of nonsense really, we are talking about square enix here is not an indie company who doesnt have the budget to do this and they are doing a remake of one of the most beloved games out there with a huge fanbase ready to support it, they do this because 1) they want to finance it with the money of the first parts, that's the worst thing a big company like this one can do and 2) to gain extra time to do it. None of them seem reasonable excuses to use this. 

“If we dedicated our time to a single release, parts of it would become summarized,” “We’d have to cut some parts … so rather than remake the game as a full volume, we decided to do multiple parts.”

“The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning,” added producer Yoshinori Kitase. “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

There is so much BS on those statements.

People are really jumping to conclusions something fierce here.

this cannot be more accurate lol

You cannot possibly have even the slightest inkling of how accurate that is. Is there any reason to assume that this won't be done in a reasonable and fair way?

Are you kidding? They said they are gonna make a remake, and every single thing they've announced till now completely goes against that.

First they say they might have to tweak the fighting system, since "it doesn't go well with modern graphics", which is a stupid lie that only speaks of lazyness. Suddenly it's not tweaking, they are going full free-action mode, robbing the game from one of its most characteristic things. And just hours ago, we are told that they are making the game episodic, which again doesn't really make sense and smells really hard of ka-ching ka-ching money money.

It's not that we have reasons to assume it won't be a fair remake, it's that SE has already done a couple things that make it impossible to call this a remake, as it seems they don't know what the word means. Furthermore, the actions and statements from SE the past years also speak volumes on how out of touch with their classic fans they are. The new FFVII game is proving to be an obvious project to bring the new-gen FF fans into playing old ones, all while trying to deceive the more critic fans so that they'll be able to sell the game to everyone. SE was already really untrustable, but the few things they've already announced loses them the right to fair doubt and hoping for a good project.

Although the worst, by far, are the people going with the classic "haters gonna hate", ignoring any valid claim / criticism about how hard is SE trolling the fans. And the neutral position is not "innocent until proven guilty", it's reviewing what SE does and says about this project and thinking about it then, which is what most people are doing, and why so many people are already extremely disappointed in SE. They've neglected their fans for so, so long, and when it looks like SE is doing what they promised ages ago, they are perverting the idea so much. It's a really poor joke.

People in this thread are confusing 'remake' with 'remastered' - 'remastered' means keeping the game the same and just updating sound and graphics, on the other hand 'remakes' can end up being significantly different from the original. For example, note that Grandia 2 was a 'remaster.' Also the original FF7 is still on Steam for those who want to reminisce about the days when Square produced good games.

Episodic may be good or bad, by itself it doesn't actually say much. There's no reason it can't be done in RPGs but it all depends on whether it's done well.

Updating the battle system, well, JRPGs have stagnated to bad results and companies are desperately searching for ways to appeal to the modern gamer. Square-Enix is a mainstream RPG company and so they need to make JRPGs relevant to mainstream fans, I can understand why they're doing this.

For a company who's last good game was in the PS2 era, remaking a fan favourite to this extent is a pretty ballsy move. If they stuff this up they likely won't be forgiven :P 

Anyway, I'm much more interested in FF15. I mean, we've only been waiting for it for a decade, and FF7 probably won't come out anytime soon anyway.

Edited by Rooke

People in this thread are confusing 'remake' with 'remastered' - 'remastered' means keeping the game the same and just updating sound and graphics, on the other hand 'remakes' can end up being significantly different from the original. For example, note that Grandia 2 was a 'remaster.' Also the original FF7 is still on Steam for those who want to reminisce about the days when Square produced good games.

Episodic may be good or bad, by itself it doesn't actually say much. There's no reason it can't be done in RPGs but it all depends on whether it's done well.

Updating the battle system, well, JRPGs have stagnated to bad results and companies are desperately searching for ways to appeal to the modern gamer. Square-Enix is a mainstream RPG company and so they need to make JRPGs relevant to mainstream fans, I can understand why they're doing this.

For a company who's last good game was in the PS2 era, remaking a fan favourite to this extent is a pretty ballsy move. If they stuff this up they likely won't be forgiven :P 

Anyway, I'm much more interested in FF15. I mean, we've only been waiting for it for a decade, and FF7 probably won't come out anytime soon anyway.

Mostly agree on what you say, but this is why I said in my post that taking the fighting system is a problem since it's such a huge part of FFVII's spirit. A remake is indeed "different", but supposedly strives to maintain the same spirit, while updating and/or improving things overall. But SE has flat-out cut a vital aspect of the game, and who knows what else they'll do, in their quest for "modernizing the game for the new-gen of gamers".

Remake does not mean "identical game with updated graphics" and I'm glad Square-Enix is trying to find ways to improve the gameplay.

edit: I say this as one of the so-called "true" fans who have played the game in 1997 and should be the most up in arms about this. I just haven't seen anything objectionable about it so far. 

Remake does not mean "identical game with updated graphics" and I'm glad Square-Enix is trying to find ways to improve the gameplay.

edit: I say this as one of the so-called "true" fans who have played the game in 1997 and should be the most up in arms about this. I just haven't seen anything objectionable about it so far. 

c7d5f083102b6fe9286ab23a68908dd2.png

Sadly, they are not trying to improve the gameplay, but delete it completely and use a newer, much disliked one. What you are saying is precisely why so many people are disappointed. With the lazy (and cheap) excuse of "turns don't work with new graphics", SE has completely dropped the idea of trying to find ways to improve the gameplay.

FFVII Remake pt. 1: last boss fight is Rufus 1v1, motorcycle escape scenario cliffhanger.

pt. 2: lost boss fight is Jenova Birth on ship to Costa del sol

pt. 3:

pt. 7: Ancient Ruins and Black Materia & events leading up to Aeris's

~congratulations, you have completed FFVII Remake: Disc One.~

stay tuned for FFVII Remake: Disc Two to be released in MMCVII (2107)

stop arguing guys, let's just pre-order this amazing thing https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/294104/the-2015-holiday-surprise-box-pc-download

what would you get? nobody knows! 

humble bundle you have some serious competition now :Teeku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cmqwbZa6_w

Edited by Deep Blue

stop arguing guys, let's just pre-order this amazing thing https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/294104/the-2015-holiday-surprise-box-pc-download

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've heard many bad things on SE's mystery box, though. I wonder if I should try...

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've heard many bad things on SE's mystery box, though. I wonder if I should try...

Screen-shot-2012-07-18-at-12.02.16-PM.pn
now seriously talking, they are going to give you thief gold, deus ex the fall, the last remnant, front mission,anachronox (all this games were given away in a bundle for 5 bucks) or something like that. Last year they did the same as they always do, just wait and you can grab more games in a bundle for even less money.

As with Rooke, I'm more interested to see Square Enix do something new rather than see them trotting out the same old story and characters (as much as I love them, I've seen that story already).

While the Final Fantasy series has been more miss than hit lately, the combat system in Lightning Returns remains probably the most entertaining RPG combat system I've ever played. Final Fantasy VII's combat system, judged today, is honestly rather repetitive and boring. At the time, it was usually great (though I certainly took no pleasure in grinding my Knights of the Round materia to Master just to go fight Emerald Weapon), but that was a long time ago, and it turns out not all changes are bad. I'm with Decay, that it's obviously not out of laziness that they're rewriting the combat; it just remains to see whether they're successful in producing something better. Not all change is good, either. I'm still salty about the Lufia 2 reboot, for example, which for me completely failed to recapture the magic of the original. So, I remain cautiously pessimistic about the FFVII remake, and cautiously optimistic about FFXV.

Really? No one posted it yet? Well Done Bamco! We're getting Berseria on Steam in English!

I'm not quite fond of little boys, would be much better to pair our female MC(she looks and sounds awesome with some bad guy or at least someone as badass as her...) Hope this boy won't ruin my experience, cause playing as "mama" is... xD It will be only available on PS4 and PC.

http://blog.talesofgame.com/en/tales-of-berseria-is-coming-to-ps4-and-pc/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdgBpP90Gb4

Edited by Maxel

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Just like I predicted that bundle was a piece of crap and now you can get a bunch of square enix game for 9 bucks

Square bundle was:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Life Is Strange Episode 1
final fantasy 13 
Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris
thief

https://www.humblebundle.com/ :

for  1 dollar
The Last Remnant
Life Is Strange Episode 1
Tomb Raider I, II + III
Murdered: Soul Suspect