Detective anime series

Do you like detective/mystery series, like Detective Conan, Kindaichi shounen no Jikenbo, Tantei Gakuen Q, Karakurizoshi Ayatsuri Sakon etc? I am especially a fan of Kindaichi, as it has longer plots, usually 4 episodes each, leaving room for more character development and plot twists.

By the way, I noticed that in Japanese detective fiction the murderers at the end are often portrayed a little sympathetically, at least compared to the victims who are usually complete scumbags. It's somehow strange, imo, that only a few of the cases in such anime contain really "evil" guilty parties without scruples, unlike for example in Western classic detective fiction, like Agatha Christie or John Dickson Carr, where the murderers are usually really deserving of the term "bad guys". What do you think, why do Japanese authors prefer sympathetic murderers and "evil" victims?

Personally I've consumed Detective Conan in some form at least 4 times, and I loved Hyouka, too (I've also read Shinrei Tantei Yakumo which had some... yeah... moments). By the time you get through enough of Detective Conan, you're kinda attached to the characters, the couples and the plot and if you've got time on your hands, it's not a bad read. Reading that made some other detective mysteries predictable, though, which is sad.... . Gosick's mysteries were a flop for me 'cause of the info I gained from Conan...(part of the reason I loved Hyouka)

It's more comforting to read about sympathetic murderers than someone outta Criminal Minds and it can kinda tell two messages for the price of one, which might be good considering Detective Conan is family programming. "Murderers don't get away no matter the circumstances" (through the detectives catching them) but "don't be an absolute jerk or you just don't know". Well, that's a rather rough, uneducated opinion anyway.

Yeah I just started watching Conan, like the first 8 or 9 episodes; I put it off for a long time but after seeing the "Lupin vs Conan" movie I decided it was time to give it a shot.

I also liked Hyouka, as well as the one called "Telepathy Shoujo Ran" (which is good, unless you have qualms about them solving cases with ESP)

I do not think the "ordinary person who has a good(?) reason for killing" type of reasoning is unique to Japan--I watched Columbo for many years on (A&E I think it was?) and it was often ordinary people who had never committed a serious crime but then something happened and someone backed them into a corner or blackmailed them etc, although sometimes it was just the typical motive of greed or fighting over a lover etc.

Seems like it takes a better detective to solve the "one-off" kind of crime, anyway... 

This is a bit off topic, I've never watch "Detective Conan" before, I heard a lot about it. Somebody care to explain if it's good? The reason I don't watch "Detective Conan" is because it is too long for me.

I love detective mystery kind anime, "Hyouka", "Gosick" & "Dantalian no Shoka". I would be please if there's more of this kind of anime.

I've always had a soft spot for Conan. Since it aired on tv when I was a kid over here. I remember I read something like 40 volumes of the manga before slowly drifting away from it. 

I feel kinda torn because 40 volumes seems to be a lot when i pretty much watched and read EVERYTHING available to me and I was only 5-10 years old.....