mahou shoujo (magical girls) where to start

colekitt

Hey guys so I've been watching anime for roughly five years and i could never really get into the whole mahou shoujo thing. But I understand that it's a big part of anime so I would like to start watching it but I have no clue where to start. So if you could tell me some good anime with mahou shoujos in it that would be great. (I'm also willing to take the risk that this will devolve into arguments over who is the cutest.)

It helps if you understand that mahou shoujo exist to be tentacle raped, as was established with some of the first h-manga to come to the US. 

This is graphic, do not open unless you don't mind a rather disturbing glimpse into one of the Japanese's more... disturbing habits.

The general order of events goes like this:  young girl meets cute but perverted little beast>beast transforms her into mahou shoujo to fight monsters/bad guys>bad guys defeat mahou shoujo>tentacle rape>mahou shoujo recovers and beats bad guys>rinse and repeat until mahou shoujo mindbreaks>lots of little tentacle monsters.

Edit: Yeah, sorry... I know.  It probably says something about me that the first thing that occurs to me when someone says 'mahou shoujo' is 'tentacle rape'... but I've played a LOT of eroge.

Edit2:  In my opinion, there is no such thing as a 'good' non-comedy mahou shoujo anime, ther than Madoka.  They are the worst example of overuse of cliches there is in anime, other than sentai-anime (which is basically power rangers anime, under different names).

Magic Users Club: pretty good six-episode series that combines magical girls with a science fiction story and a crazy love polygon. It also includes some dirty comedy... probably around a PG-13 level on the MPAA scale. If you finish and like it, then consider watching its sequel TV series.

Lyrical Nanoha: the franchise is a distant spinoff of the Triangle Heart adult VNs, none of which are translated. It officially started with a TV series in 2004, then continued with two more seasons and some spinoff manga. The first two seasons have also been condensed and adaptated into theatrical movies. What makes it different? The title character is eager to become a hero, and makes efforts to learn her powers. There's a lot more science fiction and fight scenes than you might expect. Again, the mature content is around PG-13 level.

The Pretty Cure franchise started over a decade ago with Futari wa Pretty Cure, and has become a multiverse since then. It has most of what you expect from a magical girl show: girl heroes fighting evil, shiny items which exist as merchandise in the real world, and characters becoming friends. There are a few male love interests, but they rarely play major roles. It has villains and fight scenes, but unlike the other two, it's basically a kids' franchise. Its rating would be PG at most.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya is a pretty good one, and don't worry if you watched and didn't like other fate anime it doesn't really have anything to do with them and I too thought that they sucked but I still liked this one.

Zettai Boei Leviathan is also very good true it could be debated over if this anime is mahou shoujo anime or not.

Madoka is a great anime especially the #3 movie (Witch is a sequel to series) true it's different from classical Mahou shoujo anime.

If you are searching for anime that are not mainly Mahou shoujo genre but do have some mahou shoujo in them there are many more anime that I could suggest you. Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? is one very great anime and one whole arc is about mahou shoujo.

It helps if you understand that mahou shoujo exist to be tentacle raped, as was established with some of the first h-manga to come to the US. 

This is graphic, do not open unless you don't mind a rather disturbing glimpse into one of the Japanese's more... disturbing habits.

The general order of events goes like this:  young girl meets cute but perverted little beast>beast transforms her into mahou shoujo to fight monsters/bad guys>bad guys defeat mahou shoujo>tentacle rape>mahou shoujo recovers and beats bad guys>rinse and repeat until mahou shoujo mindbreaks>lots of little tentacle monsters.

Edit: Yeah, sorry... I know.  It probably says something about me that the first thing that occurs to me when someone says 'mahou shoujo' is 'tentacle rape'... but I've played a LOT of eroge.

Edit2:  In my opinion, there is no such thing as a 'good' non-comedy mahou shoujo anime, ther than Madoka.  They are the worst example of overuse of cliches there is in anime, other than sentai-anime (which is basically power rangers anime, under different names).

You do realize that he asked for anime right? And probably not for hentai ones?

Madoka Magica.

Pretty much the embodiment of happy endings for cute little girls.

Yeap. That's definitely where you should start.

Don't watch Cardcaptor Sakura. That's a bad example for a Mahou Shoujo. Especially Nanoha. Like why would you watch that. Sailor Moon too. Like, it's so old, that it's bad. The new adaptation is worse at best.

I hope you didn't take that seriously.

All the things in the spoilers are pretty much standard recommendations. Shugo Chara too. Didn't watch it though.

Madoka Magica is a really happy show. Trust me. It'll fill you with despair happiness.

okay seeing as everyone is being so helpful do you know where i could find a torrent for the nanoha series.(I ask this because when i use my torrent sites i get about four thousand results and i have no idea what is the beginning.) also a big thank you to everyone. 

Uh. Well somehow I forgot to mention one of the best entry points in magical-girl. I support zhurai's recommendation: Card Captor Sakura is really excellent.

It's a sort of hybrid series: there's fighting elements but they're really mild compared to Precure or Nanoha, it's aimed at kids but there's a certain amount of subtext for adult viewers, it has an episodic monster of the week structure but it includes lots of varying elements that keeps it entertaining for people not used to that and has more off-structure episodes than usual... And its well-written, really fun and has great slice of life.

All in all a series to watch for sure.

Uh. Well somehow I forgot to mention one of the best entry points in magical-girl. I support zhurai's recommendation: Card Captor Sakura is really excellent.

It's a sort of hybrid series: there's fighting elements but they're really mild compared to Precure or Nanoha, it's aimed at kids but there's a certain amount of subtext for adult viewers, it has an episodic monster of the week structure but it includes lots of varying elements that keeps it entertaining for people not used to that and has more off-structure episodes than usual... And its well-written, really fun and has great slice of life.

All in all a series to watch for sure.

all of this also beautiful character design and for its time high quality animation.

I gotta say I'm not too fussed on the whole Magic Girl thing but there are a few good ones out there.

It's been said a lot but Madoka Magica is a pretty good anime, I really liked it because it starts out all innocent and happy and everyone has their reasons for becoming a magic girl and their hopes and dreams and then thing just slowly get darker and darker. I LOVE IT!

That aside though, if you prefer the genre of MAGIC BOY then totally go check out "Kore wa Zombie desu ka?" because that's full of laughs and "interesting" entertainment.

I'd like to point out the following older shows that I really liked.

Tokyo Mew Mew.

This is a Sailor Moon clone with cat-girls.  I ended up liking it better than the original Sailor Moon.

Mermaid Melody Pitchy-pitchy-pitch.

This is a combination of a magical girl show and an idol show.  With mermaids.  How could I not be a fan of a show like that.

Super Doll Licca-chan.

In this show, it is their dolls that transform and fight.

Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel.

This is a magical girl show with more than the usual emphasis on comedy.

There is also a VN for it, which I am certain I am the only person outside of Japan to have ever read.