The Fuwanovel List of Notable OELVNs

nohman

How do I download the game? I thought I got the 'patch' but couldnt get it working :o

It's indeed a tad confusing what the project page and what the download page is, so here you go :). The patch should be included in the latest version and was just a fix for some little features Ren'Py has. Nothing really important.

I noticed when I start the game theres 2 parts/episodes - "Death Rule" and "The Last Code", which one do I read/play first? Thanks :)

They are both two independent stories set in the same universe and written by different authors. That means the objectives and personalities of the characters differ between the two stories. It doesn't really matter in which order you read them, but better give both a try.

"The Final Rule" is from the co-author, has a cast that is totally nuts and psychotic and doesn't focus much on the backstory or characters. Expect lots of action and atmosphere here. My personal favourite part of the VN.

"Lost Code" is from the main-author, has a normal and humane cast and focuses more on the overall backstory and characters. It's good, but I thought it stumbled in the end a bit, as the relationship fuss felt a bit off and was either too shallow or too long for my tastes.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First off, great work! and onto the main topic at hand...i've only read two titles from there "Katawa Shoujo" and "Long live the queen"(which i didn't finish because i couldn't quite get into it) i didn't know of many more oelvn's aside from those two and the ones i did know weren't particularily good so i'm glad this topic and list were made and i'll be sure to check out some of these.

Ps: Loved Katawa Shoujo and would've loved to see more Vn's by Four leaf...sadly haven't heard of anything from them (anyone?)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
15 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

No harm done, but I don't imagine the OP trying to update this list after 4 years. ;) 

I have faith that Nohman will return one day, even if its been 4 years since his last login... His Bill Murray avatar is as iconic to fuwa as the old school fuwa site theme. 

• 1 year later...

I would for sure recommend Pale Cachexia by @Argent Games. I have written a review about it too and it is even @Zakamutt approved as evidenced by screenshot below.

Review: Pale Cachexia - Eine atmosphärische Suche nach einem Heilmittel gegen Kachexie – Visual Novel.Info (visual-novel.info)

(Translation in top left)

SPdTgpJ.png

Thank you a lot for this thread. I have been interested on OLEVNs for a while and the only one (outside of the popular ones) that I went for and pleased me a lot was SOUNDLESS (https://vndb.org/v21745). 

I also enjoyed Katawa Shoujo, Doki DokI Literature Club (c'mon it's pretty cool for a short free game) and Everlasting Summer. And I'm not counting games like Milk Inside a Bag of Milk exactly VNs, but I feel narrative heavy games like these are really great in the west. I just feel we still have a bit to evolve in terms of bishoujo games. I don't feel a lot of OLEVNs are able to play with the bishoujo game structure as well as the likes of Subarashiki Hibi or Muv-Luv for instance.

Maybe because Doki Doki Literature Club and its influence kinda gave the west some bias on what a bishoujo game is and some artificial need of subverting its structure. I think most eroge writers in Japan are usually seasoned players, so they understand the structure deeply — thus they can effectively subvert it in clever manners. Or just use it cleverly in general, without actually having to subvert anything.

Still, feels like we are getting more quality releases at a steady pace. I hope this niche keeps growing.

Edited by Frost51