Fuwanovel's Fanfic Competition

Rose

Welcome to Fuwanovel's Fanfic Competition!

2tNeWm1.jpg

Greetings and salutations! I am Rose and I'm here to announce that I'll be making a fanfic competition. This is a kind of test run for this project as I wish to know how well it'll go, if people will be interested in participating or not. Depending on the results, I might do more editions with different novels, prizes and rules. Since it's a test, I decided to make it in a pretty simple format. Even then, I'm aiming to be as fair as possible with everyone so we'll be using the same visual novel, genre, chapters and time limit for all the participants.

The visual novel used for the fanfics will be Katawa Shoujo, the genre will be romance and they must be one-shots (One chapter limit) with a maximum of 2000 words, they also have to be originally yours. Breaking any of the previous rules will result in an instant disqualification. To participate all you have to do is post a reply here with your one-shot in it, but to keep the thread cleaner, do it in spoilers regardless of it's size. After that, everyone will have until 11/02 to post their one-shots, otherwise the participant will be disqualified.

The time limit for the fics to be judged will highly depend on how many participants we get and the size of their works, but a minimum of 10 days deadline is to be expected. And as I'm talking about the judgement, I'll be asking now: I need help with this. Even if I'm pretty confident when it comes to this kind of stuff, I feel like it'd be fairer with everyone if there were 3 judges. So, if anyone is interested in helping, please send me a PM so we can talk more about it.

Now, a competition gotta have a prize. The winner will be awarded with a steam copy of any visual novel up to U$10. I know it's not much, but with this you can get your hands in a novel such as Planetarian or the infamous Hatoful Boyfriend by simply writing a good fanfic. 

I'll be answering any doubts as soon as possible, so feel free to ask anything and also comment on what you think about the competition.

AQnU6bl.png

I'm interested and wish to participate; just a few questions:

1) Is this for purely original works? I've recently written a few short pieces and those have already been seen by others.
2) Is there a word limit?

3) In the Katawa Shoujo context, must the one-shot occur during the time that Hisao is at Yamaku?

Thanks very much!

Hi.  Found this thread via the /r/katawashoujo post, and am now thinking of participating.  Question:  is there any technical definition of "one-shot" that I need to be aware of (hard length limits, etc.)?  Any general restrictions as to content?

Edit:  Consider this my application; I'll participate

Mutou Gets Fired

“Hey, Mutou—”

I look up from my box and its contents.  “Kobayashi?”

He’s standing in the doorway, leaning on one foot, holding onto the jamb with the other hand.  It’s like he ran here and stopped himself by grabbing on.  His face relaxes somewhat.  “Ah.  I see you already heard.”

“Yep.”  I return to picking my personal possessions out from the rest of the contents of my desk and loading them into the box.  “I got the email too.  ‘All funding has been terminated.  Please take your belongings by the end of the day.  Keycards—’”

“You can stop now.”  He’s wandered into my office, hands pocketed, as I’ve been talking.  “I’m shocked enough as it is.”

I look back up to him quizzically.  “Really?”

“Aren’t you?”

Continuing my task, I shrug slightly.  “No.  I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop for a month or so now.”

“Hmph.  You always were good at spotting patterns before the rest of us.”

It always feels awkward being praised by a colleague like that.  I try to smile to show some appreciation, though.  “Thanks.”

“So… you must have plans already, then?”

“Hmm…  Not as much as I should.”  I go back to loading.  “I’m thinking of going into teaching.  It’s got to be more stable work than this.”

“Hah.  You’re probably right, there.  Less stressful, too.  Beats the scramble for grant money I’m facing now.”  His face shows an uncharacteristic amount of worry.  “But what about your research?”

“Oh…”  I sigh and box my tiny framed photo of Mayumi.  “I’m sure I’ll get back to it eventually.  It’s not a very sexy area of physics, so I doubt anyone will poach it anytime soon.”

There’s a lengthy pause while I grab my last few items and double-check the drawers.

Finally he speaks again, and softly.  “Teaching.  Funny, I can’t really picture you doing that.”

Smiling faintly at the photo resting in the box, I close the flaps.  “I have other reasons, too.”

“Reasons…?”

I put on my coat and heft the box onto my hip under one arm, then walk toward the exit, stopping next to Kobayashi so I can pat his shoulder.  “Reasons.  That’s a story that’ll have to wait for some other time, though.”

“You sure?  Sounds perfect for now, actually.  A bunch of us are going to drown our sorrows down at the pub in about half an hour.  You wanna join us?”

A drink?  Goodness knows I could use one.  Or three.  But I would just as soon skip the boo-hooing.  “I… I better not.  Bad habit for a family man to get into.”

“Habit?  It’s just today…”  The disappointment on his face is clear.

“Some other time, okay?”  I do my best to look cheerful.  It was never my strong suit, though.  “You have my contact info.  Keep in touch, huh?”

“Oh, uh… sure, sure!  See ya ’round, Mutou.”  He pats my shoulder in return and puts on a cheerful expression too.

I’m sure he’s feeling as insincere as I am at this moment; it’s not clear we’ll ever meet again.  But never mind.  I just want to get away from here right now.  I shake his hand and then hurry on.

Quickly making my way out of the facility, I dutifully drop off my keycard as ordered, and do my best to avoid any long goodbyes.  Nervousness stays with me till the bus picks me up; luckily, I don’t see anyone I recognize.  Getting out quickly helped there, I suppose.

Though it’s an unaccustomed early hour for it, I catch my usual train, and sit under a heating vent to counter the cold as it carries me ever closer to home.

Home.  Where I’ll be breaking the bad news to Mayumi.  How will she take it?  Even though she’s not in science, she knows how it is as a career from my occasional rants about it.  I did that even before we were married, so she knew what she was signing up for, going in.  Still, though.  With a relatively new baby at home, this won’t be a pleasant prospect.  It wouldn’t be even if the baby weren’t—

No.  Don’t think about that now.  You’ll just overwhelm yourself.  Think about something else.  But what?  Hmm.  How about teaching?  Well, it’s not like I was lying to Kobayashi.  I have been thinking about it, and how I kinda miss it.  A little.  It doesn’t have the prestige of hard science, but prestige isn’t everything.  And helping the next generation by imparting knowledge directly to them is noble too.

Ah, my stop.  Lucky I didn’t miss it today.  That would annoy me even more than the other times it’s happened.

After exiting the train station, I begin the walk home.  I’m still not completely sold on this neighborhood, even after a couple of years here, but I must admit that being near the train line has its advantages, like now — one less bus ride.  On the other hand, it just means I’ll be facing Mayumi with the bad news that much sooner.

Well, here’s home.  No point in delaying now.  I continue to our floor, then our door.  Fumbling with my keys single-handedly for a moment, I drop them with a jangly thud.  What a fitting punctuation to this trip.  I squat down to retrieve them, and the sound of footsteps approaches from behind the door.

It opens just as I’m standing back up.  “Akio?  You’re home?  At this hour?”  Mayumi’s eyes meet mine, and the cheer on her face says she suspects nothing amiss; she’s just glad to see me.

That warms my heart, but makes me feel all the worse for what I have to tell her.  “Yeah.  Uh.”  I make a move to enter the apartment, and she reacts by reaching for the box.

“What’s this?  A present for me~?”  That teasing tone I’ve come to love.  She carries it to the side table and starts opening it before I can catch her.

“Uhp— that’s…”

The curious look on her face as she scans the contents makes my heart sink.  “What’s all this…?”

I give a tired sigh.  “It’s my stuff from work.  The project was defunded.  Everyone was sent home.”

She creases her brow at me, looking disappointed.  “Aw~.  So suddenly?  And you were making good progress, weren’t you?”

“Mmm, more or less, yeah.”  I avert my gaze and feel my ears burning.  Why is it suddenly so hot in here?

“Tsk.  I’m sorry, dear.”

My coat half-off, I look up at her with mild surprise.  She’s sorry?  “You are?”  I shut the door and change into my slippers as I finish hanging up my coat.

“Sure!  I know how passionate you are about your work.”  She approaches me, places her hands on my chest, and leans into me, looking up at my face sympathetically.

I sigh again, this time in relief, and embrace her.  “I was worried you’d be… I dunno…”

“What?”

Hesitating, I shake my head.  “Well, you know… we have a child now, and…”  I shrug a little.

“Don’t worry.  We’ll be all right.  We’ll make it be all right!”  The cheerful smile she gives me buoys me like nothing else could right now.

“Hah.  I guess I shouldn’t have worried about your reaction, at least.  You always have been good in a crisis.”

“You know my philosophy.  As long as we have love, we can handle anything.”  She inches up on tiptoes, her eyes half-lidded, her lips expectant.

I oblige, gladly.  It’s a kiss I needed right now more than I realized.  Even if I have to hunch way down to make it happen.

Breaking it off momentarily, she puts on a mock-annoyed face.  “Tsk.  Why do you have to be so tall?”  She kisses me again, less annoyed-looking.  “And dark?”  And again, with a slight smile.  “And handsome?”  Again, beaming.

I feel my cheeks heating up with each kiss.  “Mayumi, c’mon…”

“What~?”  She delivers one last peck, then relents, going flat-footed again and stepping back.  “Don’t you feel better now?”

“Well, yes.”  I can’t help but smile back.  “But we do have to think seriously about what to do.”

She sighs and puts her hands on her hips, gazing off toward nothing in particular.  “True, true…  I suppose it could be time for me to go back to work.  It has been almost a year now…”

“Actually… I’ve been thinking about going into teaching.”

Her eyes swing back to mine.  “Really?”

I nod.  “I liked it well enough whenever I did it back in grad school.  And it’s probably more stable.”  I almost sound rehearsed as I say this.  Maybe I shouldn’t have practiced this conversation in my head so much.

“Thinking more about future generations now that you have a kid, hmm?”  That mild teasing tone again.

I shrug as airily as I can manage.  “Maybe!”

She raises her hand.  “Mr. Mutou, Mr. Mutou, I have a question!”

Chuckling, I grin at her playfulness.  She must be doing all she can to help my mood.  I look sidelong at her, skeptically.  Finally, I relent, pointing to her.  “Yes?”

She lowers her hand and clasps both behind her back.  “Why are you so dreamy?”

The abruptness of it makes me blush again.  “What is thaaat…”

Her face looks more serious.  Slightly.  “You will have to deal with that kind of thing, you know.”  She slowly turns on her heel and holds up an index finger as she strolls into the living room.  “Better get used~ to it…”

She may have a point there.  Real teachers must have to put up with that quite a bit, though I’m doubtful about how likely I am to induce it.

I follow along after her.  “Speaking of future generations, how is Kenta?”

“Oh… pretty well today.”  There’s a note of concern in her voice.

I nod.  I can’t blame her for that tone, or for that qualifier, “today”.  We’ve only been living with the diagnosis for a couple of months now, following what was supposed to be a routine check-up.  Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Type 4, they said.  The words are etched into my mind by now, along with all the details.  Thin skin, easily bruised; fragile blood vessels; shortened life expectancy.  Genetic; no cure; treatment is supportive and palliative only.  In other words, not much can be done but being careful, and delicately patching him up as best they can if something decides to go wrong.  No one told me this explicitly, but from checking into it myself at the time, I know I might expect to outlive him.  It’s a depressing thought.

“Akio…?”

I snap out of my brief reverie.  “Ah, sorry.  I was just wondering if… if a teacher’s salary will be good enough from now on…”  Not entirely true, but not entirely false, either.

She folds her arms, looking determined.  “I told you, didn’t I?  We’ll figure it out!”

“But—”

“No buts!  If we both have to work, or we have to take more training for better lines of work, or whatever, we’ll do that.  As long as we have love, we’ll handle it.

Giving a smile, I pause.  “Hey.  Thanks.”

“Huh?”

“For being so great.”

She gives me a crooked smile back.  “Flatterer.”  Purposefully, she turns for the kitchen.  “Now go and change, I’ll make something special for dinner, to cheer us up.  And finally we can have dinner at a normal time.  I won’t miss those long hours of yours!”

“Good point…”

She dons her apron and begins tying the back.  “You know, this cooking might take awhile, so I could use some help… and it would be a shame if someone kept interrupting me with lewd advances…”  The gleam in her eye tells me this playful sarcasm is more of a suggestion.  “Or vice versa…”

Maybe everything will be all right, at that.

I'm interested and wish to participate; just a few questions:

1) Is this for purely original works? I've recently written a few short pieces and those have already been seen by others.

2) Is there a word limit?

3) In the Katawa Shoujo context, must the one-shot occur during the time that Hisao is at Yamaku?

Thanks very much!

1 - As long as it is originally yours, you can use it to participate.

2 - Thanks for mentioning this, I forgot to give a word limit. Although one-shots don't really have one, I'd like to keep this at 2000 words maximum.

3 - Nope. The only thing you have to do is write something around Katawa Shoujo. It's your fiction so you can even have yuri romance between any of the girls, or even create a completely new character to write about, although that's inadvisable to go for this kind of approach when doing a one-shot.

Hi.  Found this thread via the /r/katawashoujo post, and am now thinking of participating.  Question:  is there any technical definition of "one-shot" that I need to be aware of (hard length limits, etc.)?  Any general restrictions as to content?

A one-shot just as the name suggest, is basically a one chapter story, but there is no real consensus about their size. I've read some with 500 words and I once found myself trying to read a 20.000 word one. As for content, you're free to use anything as long as in the end, it's a romance around katawa shoujo.

I want to participate!!

I take Lilly’s hands and place them into mine. There is a strong contrast between her soft, pale hands and my own. I weave the signs and she feels my movements.

[What do I sound like?]
I ask the girl sitting next to me, trapped on the rooftop for the next few hours. She has a cane folded by her side, and we are both leaning on a sturdy fence. Her beautiful golden hair still shines in the dark sky.
We have a strange way of communicating, which we just discovered in these past few hours. She gives me sign language, since I can’t hear her. And since she can’t see my own sign language, I use tactile signing. We join hands when I talk, and I watch her hands when she talks.
Her fingers cut through the air, and I take in the words visually.
[i think you sound quite pleasant.]
I usually keep quiet, but I had to make some sort of noise when Lilly came to the roof. I was alone, and had propped the door open. She bumped into the door and trapped us up here. On the night of the festival, too. She had been searching for her classmates to help with the festival, and I had come here to be alone. The crowds bothered me too much. They feel uncanny because they should be making a noise, but they end up sounding like everything else- silent.
I move my hands over hers again.
[i wonder how your voice sounds.]
She responds with her hands. [Well, that question is quite hard to answer. Normal, perhaps?]
I notice her smile and giggle. She stops signing and moves her hand up to her mouth, as if to tell me she’s laughing. I appreciate the normal human gesture. Most people give me exaggerations because I can’t hear them.
[i bet you speak in a sophisticated way. Even your sign language is fancy.]
[is it? I learned to speak and sign at the same time, so I would not know.]
[so why do you know sign language and tactile signing? I can’t see it being much help.]
[i have a relative who is deaf, actually.]
I wonder about Lilly’s family. She’s blonde, tall and beautiful- exotic compared to anyone else at Yamaku. Her long, wavy blonde hair flows down behind her like a golden waterfall. Her eyes are the most striking detail. They are large pools of blue with a pale-like essence to them. Empty, but full. Looking into them, I feel trapped in their allure.
[by the way, you’re not completely Japanese, are you?]
[No, I am not. I am half-Scottish. How can you tell?]
[You don’t look like the average Yamaku student, Lilly.]
[My, my. Is that a bad thing?]
No, it’s not. Even in the darkness, Lilly is undeniably beautiful. I’m glad I still have my eyes.
[No. I think you look quite pleasant.]
I trace the words onto her delicate hands, and Lilly’s pale complexion glows red with her blush. She moves her hands away to start her signing.
[This is revenge for my poor way of describing your voice, I presume?]
[You were right. It’s a hard question to answer. How can you describe something the other person has never felt?]
[i guess we must trust each other, then.]
She gives me a warm grin. Her smile is nice, but it also reminds me how cold the rooftop is. Neither of us brought a jacket, and the nighttime is just settling in. I notice that through her smile, Lilly is shivering.
[Lilly? Are you cold?]
[Yes, I am. But I will be alright.]
[You’re hands are freezing!]
Instead of letting her sign back, I keep holding onto her hands. She accepts this gesture, and we shuffle closer together to fight the cold. Her shoulder touches mine, our uniforms cold. We lock fingers together, our only source of communication now connected and preoccupied. As we sit down, our view of the night sky is breathtaking. The city lights stretch far and wide, and the stars are twinkling brightly above Yamaku. I try to capture every detail.
I glance at Lilly next to me, but she is looking at nothing in particular. Her head is bobbing left and right for reasons unknown. Her wavy hair seems to be dancing.
Our hands are warm, and I’m reluctant to disturb the peace between our fingers. I need to ask though. Lilly notices my hand movements, and she focuses on feeling my hand signs.
[Why are you bobbing your head, Lilly?]
We stay shoulder to shoulder, her sign language pointed at my direction.
[Well, why are you moving your head?]
[i’m looking at the stars.]
[For me, there is some nice music coming from the festival.]
… An awkward silence moves between us. I take her hands and keep the conversation going.
[We really live in different worlds, huh?]
[Yes, in a way. But we share a world, too.]
[Why do you say that?]
[We are still capable of talking to each other. And we are both locked on this roof, correct?]
[Don’t you ever feel like something is missing?]
[i think it is unfair to think like that.]
It’s hard to see what she means. I’ve always felt disconnected from the world, especially since I’ve come to Yamaku academy. I see people happily talking to each other, embracing each word as it reaches their ears, understanding each sentence. I look down at my own hands. These are what speak for me, but no one will ever hear it. They will only care about my ears.
I grab Lilly’s hands again, which are fairly warm now. I type out my message.
[Why do you say that it’s unfair?]
[it is like saying this world is not enough for you.]
[but what if you could see? What if I could hear?]
[Then we would have never met, even if it was by accident, and we would be missing this wonderful night. Would you prefer that?]
[No, I…]
As our hands are clasped together, the sky explodes into shades of red, blue, and green. Lilly seems distracted by the lights, even if she cannot see them. There must be a sound coming from the fireworks, too.
The fireworks brighten Lilly’s face in front of me, her pale complexion capturing every ounce of light. She illuminates the night around us, but only I can experience her glowing perfection. She removes my hands so she can weave signs.
[These fireworks are beautiful, wouldn’t you agree?]
[Yes, I think so.]
Almost as beautiful as you, Lilly. I keep that thought to myself.
She inches closer to me and starts signing again.
[Then we are not missing a single thing.]
She finishes her signs and moves her hand gently to my face. She gently guides her fingers through each detail of my face. Nose, mouth, chin. I close my eyes as she brushes past my eyelashes, and into my dark hair. She rests her hand on my cheek for a moment, a smile on her face. Her hands move back.
[Now I can see you.]
She takes my hands, but not to begin signing. She guides my hands to her face, still glowing in the residual light of the fireworks. She rests my hands on her cheeks, closing her pale eyes. A smile forms in between my hands, and she begins to hum softly. I can feel the vibrations of her song move from her skin to mine. I can feel it slowly at first, but picking up speed as her head sways to follow the rhythm. She finishes her song, and the vibrations stop. She releases my hands, and I let go. I would do anything for that wonderful feeling again. Lilly is signing again.
[And now you can hear me.]
I take her hands into mine.
[You make this quiet world so loud, Lilly.]
[Oh, my. I never imagined you would be such a romantic.]
She’s blushing now, but keeps her hands with mine in between us. They’re still trembling from the crisp night air, which is only getting colder and colder.
[Romance isn’t going to keep us warm, will it?]
Lilly feels each of my movements on her hands, and laughs as she interprets the sentence. She looks up, peering at my face. I’m almost certain she can see me, behind those muted eyes. She starts to sign, but doesn’t break her gaze.
[No, but this might.]
She moves her hands away from each other, and they grasp the air around them. Is she looking for something? She leans forward, and her hands meet my chest. Her arms move around my sides, meeting again at my back. She leans in her head towards my chest, hugging me tightly, her ear on my heart. I can feel her body warmth, her golden hair tickling my face and arms. I rest my chin on her head and pull her closer, my arms meeting at her lower back. The cold, quiet night disappears, as I take in Lilly’s warmth and let her hair tickle my nose. Lilly is listening to my heartbeat while I take in her beauty.
The silence of the night doesn’t bother me anymore. The only feeling I need is Lilly’s touch on my chest. I can feel her breath as she nuzzles deeper into our embrace.
After some time, Lilly moves away again, and she holds my hands as she sits across from me again. She leaves my hands on her lap as she signs.
[i quite like romance. You seem very skilled.]
I exhale from my nose. It’s the only way I know how to laugh.
[Are you asking if I have a girlfriend, Lilly?]
She blushes a little.
[Yes, I believe I am.]
[No, I don’t. Do you have someone like that?]
[Possibly.]
[You’re quite the romantic too, Lilly.]
She relaxes, as if she was scared to even utter the words. So was I. Lilly is beginning to sign again.
[i may not need to know, but could try to describe how I look? I’ve always secretly wondered.]
I pause for a second, summing up the words that would make sense to someone blind. Lilly is patiently waiting, her hands out waiting for me to grab them.
[Well, it’s like feeling the sun on your skin. Intense… but comforting. Everything stops to enjoy the feeling. The radiance is… overwhelming at first. But the feeling is too mesmerizing to move. I forget every other sensation, and that time is yours and yours only, and all I can do is admire how breathtaking you are…]
Lilly is blushing, her pale face becoming warm and rosy. I’m blushing too, even if she can’t see it. She doesn’t sign to me, but reaches for my face again. She makes her way from my bangs, past my eyes, and onto my nose. She brings her face close to mine, and I can feel her breath. She brings her face next to mine, cuddling my nose with hers. Our lips are so close to meeting. Our breathing is shallow, and she wraps me in another hug. I’m lost in her stunning eyes again.
I move my face a few centimeters closer. She does the same, closing her eyes as I do. Our lips meet. Every thought I have is lost in her lips, and we no longer need to talk. All that’s left is the need to be in the moment, away from the world. Away from Yamaku.
For a split second, sight and sound are left behind. Beaten by a simple kiss; a connection between a blind girl and a deaf boy, living in separate worlds, stuck on a rooftop together. Their story seems almost fated to not happen. But through the droning silence and constant darkness, they have found each other.

I will participate 

This story begins with a talented teenage girl with short coal black hair and purple eyes named Mitsume Kana who was on her way to a piano competition. Kana wasn't the best at plying the piano but that didn't stop her from enjoying the wonderful tunes that she and many others considered art. Unfortunately, on the way to the competition Kana's father lost control of the car and crashed into a telephone poll. Both Kana and her father were in critical condition but manged to live long enough for help to arrive, however: Kana lost her dominate arm (Left) and had her legs broken. The doctor said she should be able to walk again, but they couldn't tell yet. The father miraculously only had a few broken ribs and a broken arm but was mentally shot after hearing what happened to Kana. Kana didn't blame her father for what happened but it was safe to say her days of playing the piano were over, which got to him the most.

After six months of being in the hospital Kana applied to a school named Yamaku High School that was made for disabled children. And now Kana is there on her first day behind the school gate in her remote controlled wheelchair. Now that the stage is set and the curtains have been raised the story now may truly begin:

Kana looks at the school from a distance for moments on end with her purple glass like eyes: thinking about various things that both mattered and didn't matter at all. Kana then grabbed the side of her stump that was covered by her long sleeved uniform that was tied into a knot at the end: It ached in pain for a moment even though it was fully healed. i'm just Nervous. Kana thought to herself before putting her hand on the Joy stick of her wheelchair and entering into the school grounds.

"So pretty..." Kana said speaking her thoughts out loud as she looked around. It was beautiful: all the greenery, the buildings it was all so pretty and well maintained. Unfortunately Kana wasn't looking where she's going and paying attention; she was bound to hit something or someone.

"Kyaaaa!" "Speak of devil and he shall appear" is an appropriate saying because Kana did just that and crashed into someone as they let out a scream. And before Kana knew it the said person landed on her lap and headbutted Kana's nose with the back of their head.

"A-a-are you hurt!?" Kana yelled flustered while holding her nose and with her eyes closed. It was odd: Despite Kana taking a direct hit to the schnoz, it didn't hurt all that much. Kana was way more concerned for the person she hit as a matter of fact.

"Ow... Yeah i'm fine." The person said in a clearly identifiable girl voice. Kana opened her eyes and confirmed her suspicions: it was indeed a girl. She had a slender type of body like Kana's but leaning more towards petite then anything else, she also had lovely long red hair that was tied into twin tails that looked soft to the touch: Kana's first instinct was to pet it but resisted the urge. The girl turned to come face to face with Kana: she had pretty ocean blue eyes but her expression was pissed and in a pout. Kana's expression was simply "Oh shit" after noticing. The girl snicked a little and the fearful expression disappeared quickly, allowing Kana to relax a little.

"What's your name?" She asked

"Uh.... Yes! Mitsume Kana!" Kana reply's after a second or two, obviously confused.

"Kana? That's a pretty name. My name is Alice, Alice Heartstone." Alice said with a soft smile while shaking Kana's one hand without hesitation. Kana didn't know what to think at the time, but normally when you crash into someone they would be angry. Instead Alice seemed, happy. Another odd thing was that Alice extremely light: Kana felt almost as if she could lift her up with her single hand with no problems at all.

After introductions were given it turned out they were both first years but Alice knew her way around the school more, so she showed Kana around all while never leaving her lap. At the end of the day they parted at Alice's room: Alice did enter her room oddly but Kana thought nothing of it at the time. It was a strange first day to say the least, but Kana really enjoyed herself despite circumstances. Alice just had that sort of quality: A bright, funny personality and as sharp as a whip too. And so the the day ended as a huge success and the beginnings of new friendship were formed. 

The next day Kana and Alice met each other at homeroom, however: Alice's right leg was bandaged up and she was using crutches; but she was also smiling. It turned out that Alice had very fragile bones and something that would normally leave a bruise or a sprang for a normal person would result in bones breaking or fracturing for Alice. So when Kana crashed into Alice the other day her leg just, gave in so to speak. Kana was shocked and the guilt swept over Kana like a sudden storm. Alice told her not to worry about it and that stuff like this would have happened eventually, but it didn't cheer Kana up all that much. As a matter of fact it brought up a question: How can Alice be so cheerful and carefree? It was a question Kana almost asked but didn't. The two talked and enjoyed the rest of the day with each others company, but Kana still felt massively guilty despite Alice's many attempts to cheer her up.

"This is kinda backwards..." Alice said letting out a sigh while holding the 200 yen Pistachio ice cream she bought with Kana, in hopes to cheer her up and sitting in a bench next to Kana who was parked right next her.

"What do you mean?" Kana asked looking at Alice, cluelessly after licking her sweet strawberry Ice cream.

"Me trying to cheer you up!" Alice said in a loud tone as she raised her arms high. The Ice cream in it's waffle cone holster was now leaning too far to the right and physics being the unforgiving bitch that she was went into action: The ice cream was now on Alice's head.

"COOOLD!!!" Alice yelled frantically while trying to get the Ice cream off. Kana let's out a giggle that eventually turned into laughter. Alice was so expressionate, it was fun to watch: even if she was mad at you. Kana after laughing thought about what Alice said, and it was true: it was backwards. Kana let out a smile and handed Alice her Ice cream.

"Hold this." Kana said handing it over and taking out her clean handkerchief. Kana then started to wipe off the ice cream on Alice's head, gently. It was actually quite a messy situation but Kana was able to get rid of all the visible Ice cream on Alice's head.

"There." Kana said with a gentle almost mother like smile after putting her handkerchief away.

"Thank you... But i'm eating your ice cream." Alice said before taking a big bite out of Kana's ice cream.

"Whyyy?!" Kana said almost in tears while shaking Alice by the shoulder.

The day went by fast after the comedic yet heartwarming scene between two new friends passed. And as days went by their friendship grew slowly and before they knew it days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. And a couple of months away from becoming second years the two were practically inseparable: Their injures were also fully healed now and both of them were able to walk again. They knew each other well and told each other stuff they thought they would never talk about.

On one of those days Kana told Alice that she felt: a shell of the person of her former self. Once Kana lost her arm and was unable to fully play the piano again, she was lost. Playing the piano was all that Kana had and now it was gone, no: obliterated. But Kana kept it all inside, she didn't tell her parent's or anyone for that matter and acted like nothing was wrong: How could she tell anyone? Her dad took it so hard how could she tell him? But Kana also felt like she couldn't stay there. That's when Kana heard about  Yamaku High and applied. All just to get away. As Kana told her feelings she sounded and looked surprising calm, not sad in the least bit, but: she felt as if she could burst into tears at any moment. Alice and Kana were in the music room at the time and Alice sat down in front of the piano before responding to Kana. 

"I'll be your other hand then. So can you teach me?" Alice said looking at Kana with a expressionless face and her hands over the keys. Kana didn't know how to respond, but now she really felt like bursting into tears now, not out of sadness, but out of happiness. Happiness out of Alice's kindness. No one in the right mind would say such a corny line; it could even be considered offensive depending on the person, but Alice did and without fear, it was just her.

"...Yes." Kana replied with a smile while taking a seat next to Alice and diving straight into a music lesson.

The two continued to spend more and more time with each other; even when summer came around they stayed at the school just to be around each other. After a fun filled and admittedly chaos filled summer came and went the infamous "Music Sisters" (the nickname they gained after causing too much ruckus while practicing music over the summer) became second years and started the year hitting the ground running. Fond memories were created in that year: Food fights (started by the two of them), Test of courage in the Library (Both got scared off by Hanako who happened to do some late reading with a flashlight at the time), Sleepovers (They Never got any sleep), Facing the conspiracy theorist guy (You know who and you can guess how well that ended) and so on. As events and days went by Kana's feelings for Alice grew till she confronted them. Kana loved Alice, that was the truth. Her smile could make Kana smile. Kana would instantly relax at Alices presence. And even though Alice was stubborn and try to do everything herself she loved her. Even when they would fight and would get mad at each other sometimes, Kana loved her. After some time Kana finally confessed her feelings in the most cliche spot: the roof. 

"You wanted to talk to me, Kana? And why the roof?" Alice asked seemingly unexpecting anything.

"I-I wanted to tell you...." Kana stopped and took a deep breath and exhaled. Kana looked like a mess: she was in a full blush, had messy hair and was fidgety but she knew she had to confess her feelings even if Alice rejected them, she knew that... But that didn't make it any easier. Kana grabbed what little courage she had and-

"Are you confessing your love to me?" Alice interrupted while pointing at herself with a rather innocent expression. Kana nearly fell down out of pure shock and gave a blank look. WHAT IS THIS A ANIME COMEDY?!!! Kana thought to herself. Kana nearly went over to the nearest solid wall and beat her head against it repeatably just to get a clear head. Of course this wasn't a anime so she didn't.

"Y-yes.. I love you, Alice" Kana said in a full blush with timid body language, but looking into Alice's eyes the whole time with resolve behind them. Alice seemed shocked. She just stood there for moments while processing the information before she replied with a rather emotionless expression.

"You know about my condition. You know chances are it can't be cured and I most likely will die in a few years" It wasn't something pleasant to think about but it was  she was told and was considered the truth.

"I know." Kana said with hesitation with a smile and while taking a step forward

"... You know we can't do what lovers normally do." Alice responded with her arms crossed and with a light blush.

"I know, but I love you. And I want to be with you" Kana said taking another step closer to Alice now in front of her and grabbing her hand both firmly yet gently

"How do you feel about me?" Kana asked surprisingly straight forward.

"... I love you too" Once those words left those small yet tempting lips Kana couldn't control herself and kissed Alice gently while taking in every once of her being. The End (or is it?)

Sorry if this goes a little over the 2000 mark, but I already had to cute out my orignal plan for the ending and this was kinda the shortest ending I could go for. :/ If I get disqualified: oh well. I just hope you enjoyed it. *bow of respect*

I got my submission ready. It is my first time writing something so it probably wont be really good. But i like to try anyways. Also English isn't my first language so there might be some grammer mistakes in there. But i really enjoyed writing it. And i hope u guys will enjoy reading it.

Goodbye my love.  (A pseudo Lilly neutral end one-shot.)

As we stand at the airport gate, waving our last goodbye’s to Lilly and Akira. I can’t help the feeling that this is it. I wished Lilly the best of times in scotland and hope that everything works out between her and her parents. But i cant seem to get around the fact Akira was so bitter about them. I hope she has made the right choice.

As i look to my side i can see Hanako with slightly teary eyes trying to hide herself from the crowd. This must be a hard day for her too. Seeing her best friend part away for what might be an eternity.

Hisao: Well im going to miss them too.

Hanako: Y-yes i hope Lilly calls soon.

Hisao: Me too. But there is no point standing here at the gate. They have already boarded the plane. If  we hurry me might make it back to the bus in time.

Hanako: That m-might b –be for the best.

Suddenly i remember the envelope Lilly gave me before while we were talking at the coffeecorner just earlier. She told me to open it after they boarded the plane.  I open it and i am greeted by a small postcard with a goodbye theme on it. As i open it i read the text: Hisao, you and hanako have been trough alot today, please use this for a taxi.  As i look in the envelope i am greeted by 2 five-thousand Yen notes. Wow this is really nice of Lilly, i know Lilly’s family is well endowd but 10000 Yen is still alot for just a taxi. As i look further in the envelope i notice there is stil something in there. Its a folded paper crane with the words; “I will miss” you written on the side.

Hanako: H-hisao whats wrong?

It seems hanako has noticed the tear rolling down my cheek. I quickly wipe it off and collect myself.

Hisao: I i Just... Im just going to miss Lilly alot. And there was something in the envelope that reminded me of her.

Hanako: I am s-sad about her leaving too. But she promised to s-stay in t-touch.

Hisao: I doubt it will be long before we hear from her indeed.

Hanako: Y-yes i hope so.

Hisao:But also some good news, we don’t have to run for the bus since Lilly left us 10000 Yen for a taxi.

Hanako: Wow T-ten t-thousand Yen that’s alot. She really should not have d-done that.

Hisao: Yeah really nice of her. Well i guess we can afford to give the taxi driver a tip then huh.

During the taxi ride back to yamaku both of us remaind mostly quiet. As the driver pulls up to the front gate he calls out.

Taxidriver: Here we are Yamaku front gate. That will be 4550 Yen.

I hand the driver one of the banknotes we recieved from Lilly.

Hisao: Here u go sir, u can keep the change.

Taxidriver: Thank u very much, and you too young lady.

Hanako is a bit startled by the taxi driver looking at her even though he cant see her scars from this angle.

Hanako: YYy-you’re welcome.

Hisao: You’re welcome and  goodbye.

Taxidriver: Bye.

As we have only just excited the taxi. The driver slams on the gas and races away. With screaming tires and a little dust cloud kicking up from his antics.

Hanako: EEeeeK!!

Hisao: Wow he must be in a hurry for his next ride.

Hanako: Yeah i-i think so too. Im glad he did not drive like that d-during our ride with him.

Hisao: Hey but look we still got five thousand Yen left after paying the driver.

Hanako: Thats nice, b-but what do we do with it. Do we give it back to Lilly?

Hisao: I think she ment for us to keep it. But we can ask her when she calls right.

Hanako: Y-yeah seems like a good plan to m-me.

Suddenly i feel a growl in my stomach, reminding me of the fact i only have breakfast and it is already well in the afternoon.

Hisao: I Have gotten quite hungry though. I only ate breakfast today. How about you?

Hanako: M-me too. I-i am quite hungry as well.

Hisao: What do u say we head to the shanghai and grab something to eat?

Hanako: W-well if its just the shanghai i think it will be nice. B-but what about Lilly’s money.

Hisao: Well if she wants it back we can always fill in out of our own pockets right.

Hanako: O-ok then.

A quiet walk up the hill follows. As it is vacation time not many students from yamaku are around. And i can see Hanako easing up a bit, she must have been really anxious from the hustle and bustle at the airport. Eventually we end up at the Shanghai and are greeted by our well known librarian.

Yuuko: Hello and welcome to the Shanghai.

Hisao: Hey Yuuko, can we take our regular spot?

The place is practicly empty with the exception of an old couple drinking tea quietly.

Yuuko: Yes ofcourse i will be right with you.

As Hanako and i walk to our usual booth. I offer hanako the seat where her scars face the window.

Hisao: So Hanako what would you like? Im thinking a chicken sandwich and a cup of coffee.

Hanako: I guess ill have the same. Only rather tea then coffee.

Hisao: Hmm maybe your right ill have some tea too. In honor of Lilly.

Yuuko: Hello, can i take your order?

Hisao: Yes a pot of vanilla black tea please, Oh and two sandwiches.

Yuuko: Ok ill be right back with your order.

Hisao: So Hanako i guess this will be one of our last days here as well. Since i will be leaving to visit my parents in a couple of days. Will u hold up with me and Lilly are away?

Hanako: Y-yeah i think i will. Naomi and Natsume will still be there until we go on the trip to Kyoto.

Hisao: Yeah you are right i almost forgot about the newspaper club. Are u still enjoying your time with them?

Hanako: Naomi can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. B-but generally she is a n-nice person. I-i really like it there with all of them and i am l-looking foward to the trip with them.

Hisao: Thats great to hear Hanako. I was feeling a bit bad about leaving you alone at the dorms, especially at this time. But im glad u have some plans coming up for the vacation.

As i finish my sentence Yuuko slams down a tray filled with our sandwiches and a pot of tea. A little bit spills out of the pot.

Yuuko: Sorry sorry. I will get a napkin.

Hisao: Its fine Yuuko thank you. We will manage.

Yuuko: Ok sorry again. Have a nice lunch.

Both Hanako and i don’t care for much conversation while we are eating so we quietly eat our meals and drink our tea.

Hisao: Ahh that was good, im stuffed.

Hanako: Yeah me to. I hope i can walk back to the d-dorms normally.

We pay the bill to Yuuko and head back to Yamaku. The walk back takes us longer then usual becuase we stuffed ourselfs with the sandwiches and walking has become quite uncomfortable. As we arrive a Yamaku. We both say our goodbye’s and head to our dorms to call it a day.

I wake up feeling rested for the first time in 2 days. However i am still a bit worried not having heard a single thing from Lilly since she has left. I wonder if Hanako has heard something from her. I guess i will go see her today. I want to say goodbye anyways since my parents will be picking me up tonight after they are finished working.

I take a quick shower and get dressed. As i am taking my medication for the day i am startled by a soft knock on the door. Who could this be. Almost everyone is gone. It has to be Hanako.

I open the door and see Hanako standing there with a small bag in her hands.

Hanako: H-hey Hisao.

Hisao: Hey Hanako, what brings you here this early?

Hanako: Well i made breakfast for us and i w-wanted to say goodbye before i left to Kyoto with Naomi and Natsume.

Hisao: Thats really nice of you. I wanted to go say goodbye to you as well since i am leaving tonight too. So this is a nice coincidence.

Hanako: I-i was thinking we could eat in the tea room is always nice t-there.

Hisao: Great idea. Ill just take my last pills and be right there.

We arrive at the tea room and hanako starts unpacking quite an elaborate breakfast.

Hisao: The breakfast is looking great hanako you really put some effort into it.

Hanako: T-thanks.

Hisao: Ill go make some tea then while u finish setting up.

We both contently enjoy the meal in silence. But eventually Hanako is the one to bring an end to it.

Hanako: H-hisao i was thinking maybe we could play a last game of chess before we say goodbye.

Hisao: Good idea Hanako. It has been a while since our last match. I wont go easy on you this time though.

Hanako: Y-you will be lucky if u strike one piece.

Hisao: Haha, we will see about that.

Hanako pick up the small bag and retrieve’s a chess board out of it. I notice it is the one i gave to her on her birthday.

Hisao: You brought out the nice board for this occasion?

Hanako: Yeah i f-felt we needed to at least play a game on it once.

Hisao: I will be careful with the pieces then.

As Hanako makes her opening move. We are suddenly interrupted by the loud beeping of a mobile phone. I scramble trough my pocket for my phone and open it.

Hisao: Sorry Hanako i have to take this.

Hanako: N-no problem.

Akira Satou, that is weird why would Akira call me. I hope everything is ok back there in Scotland.

Hisao: Hello Hisao speaking.

Lilly: H-Hisao its L-Lilly.

I notice a tremble in her voice that usually isn't there which causes me worry right away.

Hisao: Lilly u sound upset, is something wrong?

Lilly: W-well yes ...b-but  i don’t really k-know where to start.

Hisao: Its ok just tell me everything from the start.

Lilly: W-well there has been a big fight between A-akira and my parents. During dinner the debate of our youth came up again. Akira accused them a-again of leaving me in japan for the s-sake of the company. it all got out of hand and Akira stormed out the house raging. But what happened after that has hurt me even more. My parents were talking about the incident in another room. And i managed to over hear them speaking. It became apparent that what Akira had said all those years was true. They did leave m-me for the sake of the company.

Hisao: What,...no this can’t be true.

Lilly: I-i am afraid it is. I am staying with Akira now in her apartment downtown. I don’t think i can bear to see my parents again. After lying to me like that. I also feel so guilty for not believing Akira all those years.

Hisao: Its not your fault you couldn't have known. But what will you do next?

Lilly: After the holidays i will be returning to Yamaku. I guess ... you and Hanako are the only family i have left.

Hisao: Stay strong, we will be there for you when u return Lilly don’t u doubt that.

Lilly: Thanks Hisao, i will speak to you soon. Goodbye.

As i let the overwhelming amount of information sink in. I see a troubled Hanako looking at me.

The only thing i manage to get out is.

Hisao: Hanako, guess what, Lilly is coming back.

It starts off somewhere in the realm of Lilly's neutral ending. 

Yeah I'll participate.

One question: Would you prefer it center on one of the main six or can we use secondary characters, say, Suzu for example.

Edit: Unfortunately, it looks like I will not be able to participate. This doesn't mean my writing skills (hue) are wasted however, as I'm currently working full-time on this. http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9947. I wish everyone good luck with their own works.

I got my submission ready. It is my first time writing something so it probably wont be really good. But i like to try anyways. Also English isn't my first language so there might be some grammer mistakes in there. But i really enjoyed writing it. And i hope u guys will enjoy reading it.

U can find it here: http://docdroid.net/jwxu

It starts off somewhere in the realm of Lilly's neutral ending. 

I gotta ask you to use the system imposed in the first post. Get your one shot and put in a spoiler together with this same reply of yours that I'm quoting. If you don't know how to do it, just press the edit button, then add the spoilers by pressing the black board with "SP" written inside it on the options above the reply options, and just copy-paste the fanfic inside the spoilers brackets.

Yeah I'll participate.

One question: Would you prefer it center on one of the main six or can we use secondary characters, say, Suzu for example.

As long as it is within Katawa Shoujo, you're allowed to do anything. Personally, I'd prefer for people to use the characters that are present in the novel routes, as I do have knowledge about Suzu for example, but it's pretty limited. However, if you choose to do so, I'm willing to go and make a in-deep research about the side-character of your choice, so I can judge your one-shot properly.

As long as it is within Katawa Shoujo, you're allowed to do anything. Personally, I'd prefer for people to use the characters that are present in the novel routes, as I do have knowledge about Suzu for example, but it's pretty limited. However, if you choose to do so, I'm willing to go and make a in-deep research about the side-character of your choice, so I can judge your one-shot properly.

Mmh. I will probably end up using Suzu because I've been meaning to write a one-shot of her for awhile now.

Mmh. I will probably end up using Suzu because I've been meaning to write a one-shot of her for awhile now.

No problem. Rest assured, even if I don't know much about her right now, I'll do my research so I'll know enough about the character to properly judge your one-shot.

No problem. Rest assured, even if I don't know much about her right now, I'll do my research so I'll know enough about the character to properly judge your one-shot.

Hmm. I was planning on having it after her pseudo route (http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6192) So it'll use some character developments from that. Not too many though, It should still be judgeable on writing ability and the general feel of the piece alone.

Hmm. I was planning on having it after her pseudo route (http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6192) So it'll use some character developments from that. Not too many though, It should still be judgeable on writing ability and the general feel of the piece alone.

Don't worry, it'll be. But since you're using one the characters, I gotta know her to judge your work.