Atelier Games Thread

solidbatman

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit I love Atelier so much that I now have every major game from Rorona (all of the Arland and Dusk series, basically) onwards bought. Why is Atelier so amazing? How can a game literally about partaking in tedious and repetitive work be this addictive to consistently play? Whoever thought up this idea as well as the premise behind this game itself is seriously a genius. You're not playing as the hero like in most RPGs, you're playing as.. that 'one random final dungeon shopkeeper who has every single epic item in the game for sale'. And that person just so happens to be a qt girl!

Then you add the music/OSTs on top of all that... Which, for me, being the huge music-o-phile that I am, leads me to think this series absolutely perfect if not ideal to actually spend my time playing (more of a "reading" person nowadays :<) casually.

I've pretty much played through the entire Arland series (will have to go back and get some of the last few endings), and now I'm currently playing Atelier Eschatology (Yeah, very clever Gust >_>). I like Escha's tail.

Also, I plan to play the older Atelier titles too just to get more alchemy experience. I really like alchemy after playing these games. :3

My favorite character:

BIQDk51.jpg

Well as stated before I am interested in the games. I own a PS2, PS3 and a 3DS. But preferably games for the 3DS or PS3 because I haven't started my PS2 in like 8 years. Who know it maybe imploded on the inside with dust.

But a random question. If I pick up Atelier Shallie releasing this month (I guess?) am I missing something of the former stories? 

How would you describe the game in other worlds. Is is a grindfest or something you play and enjoy and doesn't have to repeat things until you die? Batman maybe could do a tiny short review. I've watched some gameplays and reviews. I am a guy who doesn't like spoilers and sadly 8/10 reviews contains spoilers. 

The games look gorgeous and awesome. But I am still doubtful if I really want it. Ranting on.

Well as stated before I am interested in the games. I own a PS2, PS3 and a 3DS. But preferably games for the 3DS or PS3 because I haven't started my PS2 in like 8 years. Who know it maybe imploded on the inside with dust.

But a random question. If I pick up Atelier Shallie releasing this month (I guess?) am I missing something of the former stories? 

How would you describe the game in other worlds. Is is a grindfest or something you play and enjoy and doesn't have to repeat things until you die? Batman maybe could do a tiny short review. I've watched some gameplays and reviews. I am a guy who doesn't like spoilers and sadly 8/10 reviews contains spoilers. 

The games look gorgeous and awesome. But I am still doubtful if I really want it. Ranting on.

Amazon kept recommending this series to me over the past year or so, and I kept giving Amazon strange looks for it. I should probably listen to Amazon more often (that may be the sound of my wallet screaming in the background).

Anyway, the comments above about the music actually sold me on this. Based on solidbatman's advice to follow a sub-series from the start, I picked up Ayesha Plus for my Vita just now (hopefully it will download... ever... I seem to have bad luck getting the Vita to do that). We'll see how this goes!

Just posted over in the "what are you playing" thread that I started Atelier Ayesha Plus, but I figure I owe a dedicated post here:

Hooooooly crap this game is fun. It pushes all the right buttons for me - it's a perfect trinity of nigh-endless side quests, crafting, and exploring. I'm very grateful for the deadlines, since otherwise I would probably just do those things forever, and never make any progress on the main plot.

Rorona Plus is down to $20 at Gamestop so I got a copy.  Now I have both that and Ayesha to play at some point.  Is either better to start with?

It doesn't really matter which one of those two you start with. The game play is slightly different in each, and Rorona will be more of a character interaction story line, while Ayesha will be slightly more focused on the overall story (only slightly).

Just posted over in the "what are you playing" thread that I started Atelier Ayesha Plus, but I figure I owe a dedicated post here:

Hooooooly crap this game is fun. It pushes all the right buttons for me - it's a perfect trinity of nigh-endless side quests, crafting, and exploring. I'm very grateful for the deadlines, since otherwise I would probably just do those things forever, and never make any progress on the main plot.

One of us, one of us, one of us!

Never realized they got an Atelier thread here so I'll just follow this thread but I don't play video games very much because real life gets in the way.

I've actually only played the PS3 Arland series since NIS America localized them because other companies might not add Japanese voice tracks sometimes.

KT does dual audio for their releases after Ayesha (and they went back for the Plus version and did dual audio for it). 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up Atelier Ayesha today. It was a total blast from start to finish. It took me a long time to figure out all the intricacies of the game, especially all the ins and outs of synthesis, but I think I have it all down now, and am really looking forward to doing a New Game+, especially because I will know how to be much more careful with my time (and I will start with most of the items that reduce time consumption). I want to try to beat more of the really ridiculous optional bosses in this playthrough, which isn't something I often feel motivated enough to do in RPGs.

That said, the way the game ended was a pretty weird experience for me. I finished the last fight ~4 months before the deadline, but the game let me keep wandering around afterwards, and even unlocked a new playable character and a bunch of new side-quests, without giving me any clear indication of when things would be over (aside from the "I'd say she has about 3 years..." comment early in the game, which I figured was probably my deadline, but which was definitely not crystal clear). When the appointed day came, I had kind of ignored it and was wandering across the map, and the game just dropped me into a loading screen, and then started the "choose your ending" cutscene. Rather jarring.

I'm pretty unhappy with the New Game+ implementation, though. I hate it when games give me some but not all of my stuff in New Game+, because then I'm obligated to go optimize everything right before the ending so I can get the most advantageous start possible. Since they give me money but not items, if they did something nice like converted all my items to money, I guess it'd be ok... but instead I have to do that myself. I also felt like I had to go back and finish whatever panels I could in the ~4 days remaining, since all progress towards them was lost (though unlocked panels stayed unlocked), and I felt I had to go set up specific gear for all my teammates so I could carry over as much good stuff as possible (assuming that works, and it's not just Ayesha's gear that carries over). All in all, it probably took me about an hour of prep work just so I could start a New Game+. Ugh.

That negativity aside, I want to reiterate that I really, really enjoyed Atelier Ayesha. Fairly trivial concerns like the above are really all I have to gripe about. Vastly outweighing those:

- The massive, convoluted crafting system is nirvana for a detail-oriented person like me, and it actually rewards that attention to detail

- Art and animation are both fantastic

- Music is solid, though somewhat unremarkable

- The world is populated with super-cute girls

- Neither the story nor the combat was particularly deep, but both were good enough to carry me through the game and let me get the most out of the above positive points.

I'm looking forward both to enjoying my New Game+ and to playing more of the series!