Atelier Games Thread

solidbatman

I don't have a PS3, so I was planning to play the series starting from Totori or something. Or Rorona. Or Meruru. Whichever comes first among the three. I planned to buy them in the PS Store for the Vita. That time's yet to come though. I've a lot to buy as well. I'll find a way to buy it.

Rorona comes first. 

I have both Rorona and Ayesha for PS3 on a shelf collecting dust.  :makina:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hoh... apparently the Arland Atelier Trilogy Plus just came out in NA PS store for $79.99 https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/the-arland-atelier-trilogy-plus/cid=UP4108-NPUB50351_00-ARLANDTRILOGYPLU

The only time the games ever went on sale (at least digitally) was during Golden Week earlier this year for 24 bucks a pop ($72 total), $16 if you had PS+ ($48)

What are the odds of this bundle ever getting a discount :makina:

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Doesn't seem like there's a strong Atelier following here but GRAGHGHGG Atelier Escha & Logy Plus is out!!!

Legal 18+ Wilbell here I come

... if this game came out last month. Already spent $$ on Danganronpa1&2 ._. so I'll probably get this sometime later this year

Oh Yeah! There hasn't been anything really exiting to play ever since I finished Gahkthun after Christmas, so I've been eagerly waiting for Escha & Logy. 

I need the cutesy stuff to heal my bored mind and having a main duo sounds pretty exiting, from a romantic standpoint. 

Nice, didn't know it was out; I'll be picking that up soon, in that case; after I finish Stella Glow, probably. Given the way Gust's Atelier release lag times have looked for the past games, I guess we should expect it to be another year or so before we can expect Shallie Plus. I guess it'll be a while before I can play a whole Atelier series (unless I go Arland, and Rorona just didn't grab me the way Ayesha did), but I guess that's fine.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread for Atelier Firis, which came out a few weeks ago. After really enjoying Ayesha Plus a while back, I've been periodically jonesing for an Atelier game. I tried Rorona Plus a while back, but it didn't really click with me (I think the time pressure of its assignments felt a little too stressful), and when I saw this one had come out I decided it was time to give the series another go. Just started the game and got through the tutorial time period last night, and it's looking to be a lot of fun.

JRPGs filled with cute girls are nice and all, but really, it's the gather-and-create alchemy gameplay that makes me burn through the time on these games, and Firis really looks to have nailed that both by changing some things up and by adding some more little twists to the alchemy process (unless the feature I saw was present in Sophie or something, which is possible, since I skipped a few entries in the series).

At any rate, looking forward to sinking a lot of time into this. With Persona 5 coming out so soon, starting this game may not have been the best decision, but Persona will just have to wait while I travel the world cooking up ALL the recipes.

Edited by Fred the Barber

I tried Rorona quite a few years ago on the Vita. Once in a while, I am in the mood to just chill even if I know the game loop is kind of samey, and everything feels like a sidequest. The mellowness did bore me after a while, and I ended up not finishing the game. That said, every time a new title is released, I feel drawn just because of how pretty everything looks :wahaha:. Is the Atelier series one of those cases where you play one, you've played them all? Do they have to be played in any particular order? If not, what would be regarded as the best one so far? If there is one that has more of a story that would be cool. I am keen to give it another go, though often I just end up quitting way too fast.

Thanks 8).

2 hours ago, InvertMouse said:

I tried Rorona quite a few years ago on the Vita. Once in a while, I am in the mood to just chill even if I know the game loop is kind of samey, and everything feels like a sidequest. The mellowness did bore me after a while, and I ended up not finishing the game. That said, every time a new title is released, I feel drawn just because of how pretty everything looks :wahaha:. Is the Atelier series one of those cases where you play one, you've played them all? Do they have to be played in any particular order? If not, what would be regarded as the best one so far? If there is one that has more of a story that would be cool. I am keen to give it another go, though often I just end up quitting way too fast.

Thanks 8).

I'm not an expert, so I'm going to summon His Saltiness to help out answering this, since I think he's played more of these than I have: @solidbatman what do you think?

I'll take a stab at it, but keep in mind my answers aren't going to be that well-informed, since I've only played all of Atelier Ayesha, a little bit of Atelier Rorona, and even less of Atelier Firis.

Ayesha, while it does have an overarching story (she's trying to find and save her sister) feels mostly like you're doing side-quests. It's a very laid-back game, except if you get really into the time management aspect, which I think the game system simultaneously encourages without being too pushy about it. Yes, you have to get a lot of stuff done within the game clock time, and if you really like crafting ALL the things like I do, then you'll have to be a little bit careful with your time to make sure you don't screw up and miss one of the goals. But it's not like you have to try that hard, and you certainly will have plenty of time to do all of the stuff you want to.

From the ones I've played, they do all feel kind of the same at a high level, but in the little details they're pretty different. I felt much more free to explore and go on self-assigned missions in Ayesha than I did in the time I spent with Rorona, but it's possible that's just because I never really got out of the early game in Rorona. We'll see how it is with Firis, since I'm intending to stick with this one.

So, actually, after a few more hours with Firis last night, the experience of traveling feels really different from Ayesha: Ayesha had your typical world map with little areas you had to clear to move on. In Firis, for the first major traveling step at least, you actually walk through a big, contiguous area, full of monsters, gathering points, and points where you can pitch your tent-cum-atelier and either synthesize or rest to recover HP/MP but also LP, which is consumed both when you gather and slowly just when walking around.

That probably doesn't sound like that big of a change, but it actually feels really different, for a couple reasons:

• you get to take a break and craft stuff whenever you feel like it (you no longer can only synthesize at a home base), since it's super easy to find a place to pitch your tent.
  • you can also drop off your materials very easily (just find a spot and pitch a tent), so you're no longer as tightly constrained by your basket size
  • it makes the world feel a lot bigger, since you end up spending "weeks" of game-time (and no small amount of actual time) traveling across these big field areas. I actually resumed last night at the start of the first field area, played for about 2.5 hours, gathering, monster-hunting, crafting, and basically exploring every nook and cranny, and I still haven't quite gotten out of the first field area o_O
Edited by Fred the Barber