An update about the Board Moderator Program

Hey everybody,

So the first group of Board Moderators (BMs) have been selected and recruited. It's a fairly big group: total BMs will likely total between 15-17 persons. I know that some people are concerned with that number (I had 8 PMs about it when I woke up, for example, and more continue to trickle in), so I thought I'd take a second and give the community a better picture of what BMs do.

The BM program has evolved quite a bit since I posted that call for interested parties. Here's a better idea of how it works:

What Hasn't Changed:

• BMs still commit to 4 weeks of service doing up to 60 minutes of moderating per week
  • Board moderators still work in teams under a global moderator (teams range in size from 3-5 BMs)
  • Teams of BMs are assigned to one of the sections of the forums (VN Discussion, Development Boards, Community Hub, Other Discussion) and work exclusively in that section (AKA: Fuwanovel did not just gain 15 global mods)
  • Global mods are still the only ones mediating and deciding respect violations (plus potential appeals to me)

What has Changed:

• The work you think of when you thinkof the word "moderating" (what I call "clerical" work, or more namely: moving/merging threads, dealing with double posts, changing titles, etc.) is now just a small part of what they do with their moderating time
  • BMs are now tasked with keeping tabs of people, projects and threads which deserve recognition in their section of the forums (AKA: lots more eyes across the board looking for people and things that deserve recognition). This will be a key part of the upcoming recognition system changes
  • The other key function of BMs is that they are given the responsibility to actively brainstorm (as a team) ways to improve their section of the forums and the community. While the improvement section is good (and will still be available), it was not utilized as much as I wanted it to be. Having dedicated brainstorming teams for each forum section will amount to huge increases in focused brainpower, especially in sections like the Development Board which have a lot of potential but which need a lot of innovation
  • The global mod team leaders have quite a bit of autonomy to train and lead their teams. If you take issue with how a forum is moderated, you can speak to the relevant global mod team leader directly as opposed to me, directly
  • Many of the PMs I received were concerned about moderating inexperience (which is valid!). I think we need to own that experience has to come from somewhere; and with a handbook and a global moderator's oversight, I think this is a good way to start out

Just a few more points to make:

Every time I've added a moderator in the past, I've received lots of PMs filled with concern over anarchy- or (conversely) police-state- mentalities. Just to be clear: BMs have clear direction in their handbook that they should prioritize communication when taking moderation actions on the forums and that they should not see themselves as secret police, censors, or agents of Tay's secret agenda. Furthermore, one of the chief tasks of the global mod team leaders is to make sure none of the BMs starts to gravitate to the dark side. Should you be concerned with a BM's actions, you can talk to their global mod directly (just as how you can contact me directly if you take issue with a global mod's actions).

This next point is really important: While I have a lot of reasons for experimenting with a large initial wave of BMs, like with all upcoming site changes, I consider this an experiment which will be closely monitored and re-evaluated in a few weeks. If it doesn't work, it'll be modified or scrapped. When my monitoring period is over, I will open a thread in the improvements board and encourage everybody to weigh in on their impressions on how well this does/doesn't work. Like I said last month: I can't be afraid to make mistakes as I try out new ideas in order to find what works -- especially if those mistakes are only temporary (a few weeks) and easily reversed. In a different vein of thought (and at the risk of repeating myself and/or beating a dead bathorse): the distribution of BMs was intended to mirror the workload and/or need for innovation for each section. Speaking frankly: when I need help on the site, it's often quite difficult to find willing volunteers. The upcoming weeks will likely be the most busy (and full of projects) time we've seen in more than a year, and so it follows quite logically that it's in our best interest to have volunteers at hand to make the changes happen.

I hope that this helps clarify the program's launch and the thought behind it. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, voice concerns, or speak your mind in this topic, and I'll try to make time to respond.

Thanks for your time,

Taylor

Current Roster (2 pending changes, will be updated as they come in):

Visual Novel Discussion 
Global Mod: Down
Flutterz
Mephisto
nohman

Development Boards
Global Mod: Kendjin

Emi
Helvetica Standard
GetterEmperor
TiagofVerela

Community Hub
Global Mod: Kaguya
OriginalRen
Heizel_Kokousei
Kimanor
Yukiru

Other Discussion
Global Mod: Nosebleed
Ceris
Madvanced
Katatsumori
Stray Cat

I don't have any concerns about Board Moderators corrupting to the darkside, but it does feel weird to know that these veterans who were once common folk like me are now in a position of authority :ph34r:. I'll get used to it though, it's not like anything will change in our everyday interactions~

Best of luck to this experiment of yours Tay, and of course, to the new Board Moderators! 

Good luck to the board mods in their new respective jobs!

Not convinced about this format, but I'd galdy be proven wrong.

Show me I'm wrong people =).

Ps: still waiting for my board admin job D:

Development Boards

Global Mod: Kendjin

Emi
Helvetica Standard
GetterEmperor
TiagofVerela

I ragequit. Ban me from the forums, have me sentenced to death, whatever, I don't care.

I've had enough of the name butchering. 

Just be sure to take chief Kendjin with me.

*ahem*

I am looking forward to working with everyone to improve the development section of the forums.

You'll see, by the end of the month I'll be a walking encyclopedia about those projects.

Other Discussion

Global Mod: Nosebleed
Ceris
Madvanced
Katatsumori
Stray Cat

Dear Tay

You spelt Katatsumuri's and Heizei_koukousei's usernames wrong and have brought deep shame upon their houses. 

Yours in sincerity, Rooke

PS: At least you spelt Tiag's name correctly :3

I ragequit. Ban me from the forums, have me sentenced to death, whatever, I don't care.

I've had enough of the name butchering. 

Just be sure to take chief Kendjin with me.

*ahem*

I am looking forward to working with everyone to improve the development section of the forums.

You'll see, by the end of the month I'll be a walking encyclopedia about those projects.

now i'm worried i'll get banned if i use incorrect grammar.

Just you wait, you little wretch.

...No, nevermind. Your avatar grants you immunity from all my attacks, blasted hell!

(You may think this is off-topic, but these are simply friendly reminders that misspelling peoples' names isn't a nice thing to do)