[Post Game] Fate/Stay Night

Down

Ok, it's high time we have a topic to discuss all kind of matters around F/SN.

Warning: Free-range spoil is highly probable inside this topic and F/SN is a rather spoiler-sensitive game.

Here is a link if you didn't play the game and want to know what is F/SN, now you should better skedaddle out of here.

This guy will be monitoring the thread:

1345751334300.jpg

What do we do here?

We discuss anything related to F/SN (hurr). Like who's the most badass character, what's your favorite route, various theorycrafting, who's best girl, Tohsaka's anus...

We wait for F/HA to finally be translated (...)

Let's start with this: what is your favorite route and why? I think even Saberfags will agree that Fate is not the best route, but there's still quite a debate over UBW vs. HF. Hardcore TM fans tend to prefer HF but there are still people out there going for UBW.

As for me, it goes HF>UBW>Fate. It's not about the heroins at all - but the amount of epicness and plot revelations in HF is just THAT much outstanding. Even some of the bad ends are great.

Favorite Route: UBW

Route with best writing: HF

Best Heroine Ilya

Because she needs a route that doesn't involve her mind controlling you or something of the sort. Heaven's feel should've been Ilya's route, but that damn route stealer sakura that nobody likes had to take it. I mean, the title of the story was Heaven's Feel. Heaven's feel = Ilya. Where did sakura even come from?

In all seriousness, Tohsaka = best heroine. As you can probably tell, I don't like Sakura. Saber was also difficult to relate to. She's a paradoxical existence that exists before the event that allows her to exist in such a manner has occurred. Shirou was being an idiot with his "omgerdz she be a gurl I must protectz the gurl with the big invisible sword", but Saber wasn't helping matters by declaring she wasn't human every 30 seconds. Tohsaka however, is just full of awesome. Smart, composed, pretty, and understandable/relatable. Even Shirou would agree about how awesome Tohsaka is despite how idiotic he is 99% of the time.

Most badass character: Kotomine Kirei

Ok, I know he's sort of supposed to be a bad character, but that doesn't make him any less badass. I feel that Kotomine is the character that typemoon did the best job in creating. His backstory is absolutely epic and I mean come on he's the most twisted priest character ever written. Oh yeah there's also the fact that he could fight against a servant (like Caster's master... forgot his name) and he's in fate-zero.

That reminds me, I need to go watch fate zero.

Oh yeah. Theorycraft. The protagonist is a girl, and she summons the servant of King Arthur who's a guy, instead of Shirou being protag and summoning saber. Go.

Oh yeah. Theorycraft. The protagonist is a girl, and she summons the servant of King Arthur who's a guy, instead of Shirou being protag and summoning saber. Go.

Not sure if "Theorycraft" implies what I'm going to say, but this was the original premise of FSN! It was only after producers questioned the appeal of a female protagonist that the roles were reversed, and we ended up with a female Saber. : )

PS: I'll be posting a walkthrough for FSN tonight. Any feedback is appreciated!

PPS: And I'll be back to this topic. I freakin' love FSN.

Me, Meph and Mikel were talking about this one on chat. LOL

Anyway, I won't use the spoiler tag since this is a post game thread anyway.

The heroine I like the most is Ilya and the best route for me is UBW. I will agree though that when it comes to revelation, HF wins hands down but there is something in HF that I don't like, I don't know why. To be honest, I don't know why Ilya has to die in almost all routes :< IIRC the only routes where she survived is the Fate and the HF's best end.

Aside from that, I also like Archer (Emiya) because of the reality marble. I like UBW as a skill or power. The one I hate the most is Gilgamesh for killing Ilya brutally :<

TL;DR: ILYA

Favorite route: UBW/HF. Both are tied for me, I just cannot choose!

Favorite heroine: Tohsaka Rin, but do note I am saying that with high reluctance, because none of the heroines in Fate compare to the heroines in other materials by Type Moon.

At the same time, let me be clear that Rin is also above many non Type Moon VN heroines in my eyes, but when compared to what Type-Moon can accomplish...yeah.

Most badass character:

25035729.jpg

FOOLISH MONGRELS, WHO ELSE DID YOU EXPECT?!

BOW DOWN BEFORE THE KING OF HEROES, PEASANTS!

Favorite abilities:

Avalon.

Unlimited Blade Works.

Gate of Babylon.

Favorite weapon:

Jeweled Sword of Zelretch~

180px-Jewelzelretch.jpg

Going to re-read the entirety of F/SN after April <3 Then finally get around to finishing Fate/Extra~

So much love for Ilya. Too bad her route was cut. Being homonculus+grail vector is suffering.

Besides, I don't understand why so much people hate Sakura. She has great character development, interesting sides, boobs. I just don't get why she's so much hated, she has nowhere near irritated me as much as Saber sometimes has. That might be because I like twisted characters, but well.

Most badass character: Kotomine Kirei

Agreed B)

The protagonist is a girl, and she summons the servant of King Arthur who's a guy, instead of Shirou being protag and summoning saber. Go.

That's Fate/Prototype for you sir. Go watch the 10 minutes long trailer and cry because it will never ever get beyond the stage of a 10-minute trailer.

By theorycrafting I meant stuff like 'can shiki kill servants' although this one includes Tsukihime. (He canonnically can't btw).

Oh, so am I alone in liking Saber? I knew that people didn't like her, but damn.

Favorite route is easily Heaven's Feel, because like someone already said before, it has the most plot developments. To be honest it it really felt like the romance and heroines in F/sn were just tacked on... Saber's the only one of the three that I really do like.

I think that ideally for me F/sn would've kept some of the old stuff from Prototype (Ayaka as the protagonist, non-genderswapped Arthur as Saber, Perseus as Rider [even though I like Medusa], Misaya's design for Rin), while changing... well, pretty much everything else that changed. And removing the h-stuff/romance.

Favorite character... I guess either Saber, Rider or Ilya. There actually aren't a lot of interesting characters to be honest :| F/sn's strength lies in its premise and plot, and the Holy Grail War is easily one of my favorite concepts ever. So much that in another forum that I go to we frequently make Fate RPs and come up with our own Servants... heh, it's fun.

I'd like to reread F/sn once the Realta Nua translation is completed, though, since right now I'm seeing Fate/zero as infinitely better and I want to know if that's not just because it's the more recent Fate thing I've seen.

Oh, so am I alone in liking Saber? I knew that people didn't like her, but damn.

Nah, don't worry, there are lots of Saber fans out there. Way more than Sakura fans at least. Hell, it's the cash cow of Type-Moon after all.

none of the heroines in Fate compare to the heroines in other materials by Type Moon.

You just made me realize this is true. Both the whole Tsukihime cast and the KnK cast are definitely superior to the Fate heroins.

I'm seeing Fate/zero as infinitely better and I want to know if that's not just because it's the more recent Fate thing I've seen.

It's because the premise of Fate/Zero is so amazing. A Holy Grail War, but without dumb characters doing shit in the way (Shirou...) and with actual tricks. Sadly I think Urobuchi took things a little too far and there are things I didn't really like in the second half.

For reference, I think Heaven's Feel is definitely better than F/Z.

]Nah, don't worry, there are lots of Saber fans out there. Way more than Sakura fans at least. Hell, it's the cash cow of Type-Moon after all.

Oh yeah, definitely, but... those are the people that like shit like Nero or Mordred, or just Arthuria Syndrome (aka genderswapping things for no good reason) in general... :| I like Saber, but I really think that we could do without a clone of her in every single Fate work.

It's because the premise of Fate/Zero is so amazing. A Holy Grail War, but without dumb characters doing shit in the way (Shirou...) and with actual tricks. Sadly I think Urobuchi took things a little too far and there are things I didn't really like in the second half.

For reference, I think Heaven's Feel is definitely better than F/Z.

I think that the thing with F/z is that it changes the premise from "what would happen if heroes from history met each other?" to "what would happen if people with incompatible world views met each other?", while still being in the context of the Holy Grail War (and well yeah also because it doesn't have Shirou lol). The only thing I didn't like about it was the end, since it's just so inconclusive if you haven't read F/sn (and it's disappointing even if you have).

How did you think Urobuchi went too far, though?

Not sure if "Theorycraft" implies what I'm going to say, but this was the original premise of FSN! It was only after producers questioned the appeal of a female protagonist that the roles were reversed, and we ended up with a female Saber. : )

PS: I'll be posting a walkthrough for FSN tonight. Any feedback is appreciated!

PPS: And I'll be back to this topic. I freakin' love FSN.

Cant wait to see your walkthrough. Im waiting to finish all the routes and a walkthrough will come in handy.

Oh yeah, definitely, but... those are the people that like shit like Nero or Mordred, or just Arthuria Syndrome (aka genderswapping things for no good reason) in general... :| I like Saber, but I really think that we could do without a clone of her in every single Fate work.

Type-Moon fanbase also has its bad elements too. Can't be helped.

That reminds me of something I read about Fate/Extra, in an official interview or something:

"Red Saber has the same face because they wanted to trick people into thinking that she was Arturia, and then surprise them when they played the game."

which is the most half-assed excuse i've ever heard.

How did you think Urobuchi went too far, though?

Urobuchi likes to make his characters suffer. He always crushes the dreams of upright justice or strong ideals. Sometimes it turns out great (I'm thinking about Lancer) but sometimes it's really frustrating because it's just going to the full opposite of "shonen ideals" without balance. Here i'm thinking about the Rider/Gilgamesh fight, that was seriously underwhelming. I'm also thinking about how Kariya and Tokiomi both ended up doing nothing. And about Kiritsugu, because his development started great but ended up disappointing (as you pointed out, the end is, well...inconclusive).

I like his works, I like this type of writing for stuff like Madoka or Saya no Uta, but that's not what I would have expected of Fate/Zero.

I'm not sure I told what I wanted to convey correctly. I did some thinking about how Urobuchi's writing after some rather violent debates about Madoka and Fate/Zero, but i'm not sure yet of how to explain what I think. I'd like to read more of his works, actually. I think he wrote some VNs, i'm going to look that up.