What's Your Favorite Death In A VN? [500th Post Celebration Thread]

Funyarinpa

You might think that I might be jumping the gun. Yeah, 500 posts aren't too big a landmark, but to be honest, being able to change my title to any sort of stupid phrase at will is, frankly, quite a big deal for me. ( And worry not Nosebleed, I shall be conducting the poop train proudly for the rest of my life).

I've had a great time here since I joined way back in March, and after 499 posts of majorly nearly completely consisting of forced, lame puns and spoiler-tagged ranting B-grade shitposting, I wanted to create an interesting thread for once.

We've probably all played a VN which includes people dying. There is probably at least one particular death you liked, either because you finally got rid of that one fucking asshole, or the scene/the aftermath was really exciting, or it contributed something to the story.

What is your favorite death in a VN? Death is a pretty big spoiler no matter what, so it's obvious that pretty much everything you post except the name of the VN is destined to be kept in a spoiler tag. 

My favorites(probably):

VIRTUE'S LAST REWARD

Luna END. That was an incredibly potent scene...

That should be enough said if you've read VLR, and if you haven't, get out of this tag. NOW.

EVER17:

Sora "Good" End.

IMHO Sora is the most underrated character in Ever17, and I think her character is deeper than people think it is. I love her personality, I love her appearance, I love her route... except the FUCKING """""GOOD"""" ENDING.

Why?

It's just merciless that Takeshi would die with Sora in HIMMEL after all they were through.... I was incredibly saddened during that scene, but it was also meaningful enough to convey the love they felt.

Beautiful.

9 HOURS, 9 PERSONS, 9 DOORS

Safe END.

After all you've been through, after all the truth had packed up its belongings and had gone, after Snake had been reborn, so to speak, from his coffin, it's only natural to be hopeful.

Seeing the betrayal take place, seeing Snake's last fight, surviving three bullets and continuing to fight, dragging Ace down to the depths of hell with himself...

I feel sad even thinking about it.

This is about as hard as someone asking my favorite VN. There are so many great death scenes out there that I'm not going to bother listing them. 

I will say that I love to see heroine deaths in general, just because I dislike most heroines I see in VNs. This one is not my favorite and isn't too high on the list, but it was probably the death scene that I liked the most, just because it was from the first VN I played. To this day, I still think this is a perfectly satisfying conclusion to the game, even if it's supposedly a bad end. I am, of course, referring to Tsukihime's 33th bad ending~

That would of course be 

the murder of Gregory Edgeworth aka Case DL-6

from the Ace Attorney series. This incident influenced the story, universe and a lot of the characters from EVERY game in the Ace Attorney series, including the spin-offs. 

It was also a blast to uncover this mystery yourself and is, til this very day, my favorite climax in storytelling history.

Evolimit ***huge spoiler

Evolimit600446044.jpg

Dmitri's standing death after Avalanche and Earthquake sacrificed their lives to wake Kou/Phantom Killer up from his insane rampage.

Houkago no Futekikakusha  ***huge spoiler

Protagonist's death leading into the final ending.

Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa ***huge spoiler

Mishio Eiri and the protagonist, of old age on the same day.

In Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Beatrice's "death" in the ending of the 4th chapter. She had been such a bitch, and I hated her, god how I hated her, I really didn't think I would end up feeling bad for her, and pity her. Yet, she was at such a state, hopeless, asking to die... that same strong and evil Beatrice who didn't hesitate to kill 6 people and fill their stomachs with sweets.

My favorite WORST DEATH EVER moment in a VN:

Grisaia no Kajitsu.

Sachi's Bad End.

Like seriously, that was the most WTF IS THIS shoehorned bad ending I've ever read. Poor Sachi  :(  :(  :(.

Totally had no effect what so ever on me just because of how stupid and poorly it was done.

This is about as hard as someone asking my favorite VN. There are so many great death scenes out there that I'm not going to bother listing them. 

I will say that I love to see heroine deaths in general, just because I dislike most heroines I see in VNs. This one is not my favorite and isn't too high on the list, but it was probably the death scene that I liked the most, just because it was from the first VN I played. To this day, I still think this is a perfectly satisfying conclusion to the game, even if it's supposedly a bad end. I am, of course, referring to Tsukihime's 33th bad ending~

Damn you Kaguya, Tsukihime gives me feels and now I have to thing of another death... Well Fate/Stay Night has quite a lot of bad ends that lead to dead ends but I specially liked one from Heaven's Feel.

The one where Shirou dies after the fight with Alter Saber and she says that no matter the result of the fight between Sakura and Rin, the person that would bless them in this world is no more.

Hm, that's an interesting question... Well, I'd have to pick

Muramasa huge spoilers

Hikaru's death in the true route. Everything leading up to it - and that wonderful last battle - just set things up really well; but most of all, the way Muramasa's principle was used - and how the last twist was just tactfully confirmed instead of getting showed in your face - made for an epic finale. It was incredibly satisfying, but also depressing, leaving you kind of empty at the same time. It kept true to its own philosophy to the very end, and that's what made it such a memorable read.

I'm not sure if you would consider it a death or not but Rewrite.

Tennouji has lived his life meaninglessly. He found a purpose that required him to throw everything he learned to care about out the window. Learning he had failed, that scene at the top of the hill between him and kagari was powerful. He will always be that single nameless soldier that no one remembers.

subarashiki hibi

14841457695_fe2b87d54d_z.jpg

the death of mr savior in which dreamed it. wouldve been a good ending

Aw you seriously beat me to the punch on this one. :<

But my favorite is and always will be for:

Subarashiki Hibi (Spoilers!)

While Tomosane's "death" (well, the death of his "fragments" in the real world) was the single most epic death scene in SubaHibi, I could put Kimika's and Takuji's shared suicide in Invention's "If" route on almost equal standing. What's great is that Takuji rejected his delusion here so they could "go together". :') Kimika is actually one of my favorite characters alongside Yuki and Ayana.

WY5rUqi.jpg

Even Zakuro's suicide "speech" scene in Insects is made out to be pretty epic as well (especially since Dreamy Fish plays during the speech part <3). SubaHibi is just epic, nuff said.

Mine so far (I haven't read many VNs that deal with death) would have to be Maou. I seriously thought he'd have a change of heart, and it was gratifying to see he held true to being a true villain until the end. Even Houzuki from Sharin no Kuni was shown to be a good person on the inside despite the way in which he carried himself lending no reason to believe so. He took years of Kyousuke's and Haru's happiness together for their "part" in the destruction of his mother's and father's lives, respectively