Hacking: Will it destroy the world...?

babiker

So, game theory just released their most shocking video yet, talking about how, with every step technology takes, we humans are becoming more... Fragile, easier to harm.

So, what do you guys think we should do? Should we just stay silent and let technology blast its way forward, regardless of the massive possible harms? Maybe we should just be a little smarter and use as few devices as we need. Or we can just all pack up and leave for the desert , seems like the safest option to me :P

You talk like it affects the entire world. Most of our documents are still made and registered only in good old paper, and smartphones aren't even a thing in my town. Silly USA/EU residents. 

Regardless, this guy's videos are always weak. The benefits of globalization beat the possible damage any cracker could cause by a lot, really. Specially since one of the only reasons we are currently living in mankind's most pacific era is that, because of globalization and the advance of technology, trading with other countries becomes much easier and much better in terms of cost than waging war, which is a very, very new concept. Here, we are just getting used to the idea of people from other countries being worth more alive than they are dead to us. 

In my opinion Technology is the only thing giving this world any worth, without it we are no different then animals. Technology is the only hope of this world, giving away on it just because there might be some negative effects too along side all the good ones is stupid in my opinion.

Where do you think we would be if cave mans decided to not leave the caves because houses are not as stable as caves?

and smartphones aren't even a thing in my town.

Where Da hell do u live? Seriously I'm in Saudi and its weird to find a guy without a smartphone, even the not-so-rich people seem to get their hand on em somehow

In my opinion Technology is the only thing giving this world any worth, without it we are no different then animals.

So we were all animals before like, the 18th century? Or by technology do u mean all forms of scientific advancement, not just stuff with electricity?

So we were all animals before like, the 18th century? Or by technology do u mean all forms of scientific advancement, not just stuff with electricity?

Yea I mean on all scientific advancement from the time cave mans left caves and started building houses and using fire to build tools out of metal etc. That might be very old and primitive technology but it's still a technology. And just as new technology it held it's own risks at a time and if that stopped us from advancing forward we would newer come this far in a first place. But regardless of how far we get new technology will always make a world a better place if even just slightly at a time. 

You talk like it affects the entire world. Most of our documents are still made and registered only in good old paper, and smartphones aren't even a thing in my town. Silly USA/EU residents. 

Regardless, this guy's videos are always weak. The benefits of globalization beat the possible damage any cracker could cause by a lot, really. Specially since one of the only reasons we are currently living in mankind's most pacific era is that, because of globalization and the advance of technology, trading with other countries becomes much easier and much better in terms of cost than waging war, which is a very, very new concept. Here, we are just getting used to the idea of people from other countries being worth more alive than they are dead to us. 

And now that I re-read your post, I see that you took it as an attack on technology in general, its more on a personal level, things like death from a hacker in anyway is new to me.

Any of you guys played Mass Effect? One of their key themes was that technology grew too advanced and so civilization would eventually destroy itself with its creations and whatnot xD.

The video goes on to list all of these harms but it doesn't list any benefits so it's easy to be convinced that we should just halt technology, but I agree with Kaguya that advancing technology would bring about much more benefits than it does harms sooo yes let's be silent and let technology blast its way forward  :ph34r: 

Will technology blast forward int he future? Yes. Will people take advantage of this to cause chaos through hacking? Yes. Can we really do much to stop it? In my opinion, no.

Technology will blast forward regardless of how dangerous it is, but like others have said: pros > cons.

Technology warfare is merely another way in which humans will create more mayhem, but technology itself is also another way in which we can create great things. 

However I do personally believe that technology needs to slow down to a degree, we churn out more pointless things than we need, but this may just be part of the human condition so my belief is a moot point. 

On a more serious note... one of the things a lot of people fail to grasp is that most of the world's population can no longer live without technological development.  Whether it is new medicines to counter ever-evolving diseases, new ways to keep the trucks moving without gas so we can keep the food flowing to the cities, or new forms of weapon to keep the crazies properly suppressed or dead (preferably the latter) human civilization is screwed in the long run.  Heck, if we don't wean ourselves off of the petroleum addiction, we are going to collapse before I die of old age.

More examples

Altering food crops genetically to be more nutritious with less oxygen (counter for side-effects of global warming)

Birth control implants to keep population growth within sane limits.

Undersea or space colonization advances (to get around the fact that one third of the world's land is going to be underwater by the end of the century) 

Technology to counter desertification (preferably turning back the clock entirely...)

More efficient energy production and storage (well duh, since energy is the cornerstone of civilization in modern times)

To be blunt, we are the point where we have no choice but to do our level best to maintain our current momentum or watch the metaphorical ground crumble beneath our feet.  Infotech is no exception.

Edit: Oh, and yes I know the ideal counter for global warming is nuclear winter... but how likely is it that someone will have the moral courage to use nukes to counter climate change?  lol

In my opinion Technology is the only thing giving this world any worth, without it we are no different then animals. Technology is the only hope of this world, giving away on it just because there might be some negative effects too along side all the good ones is stupid in my opinion.

Where do you think we would be if cave mans decided to not leave the caves because houses are not as stable as caves?

What's worthless about being animals? I personally think that humans are 'engineered' to be happy just being alive. It's not like the advent of computer technology meant humans got a huge amount happier. Actually we're not really any more happy on average than any other era, I'd guess (counting stress and lower sleep averages, etc)

What's worthless about being animals? I personally think that humans are 'engineered' to be happy just being alive. It's not like the advent of computer technology meant humans got a huge amount happier. Actually we're not really any more happy on average than any other era, I'd guess (counting stress and lower sleep averages, etc)

Are you serous or are you just trolling?

Your forgetting that in a monitary society which is what the whole world lives in btw. Technology can only go so far. If technology is to continue to advance that would make jobs redundant and faltten the economy. So in this system technology can only go so far. There is no worry in this case. I think the only thing we have to be worried about is the banks and the government. But thats just a theory, a conspiracy theory.

When I said 'flatten', I meant in terms of general satisfaction and the belief that we are better off than our parents were.  Also, the average worker's wages in the US have not increased significantly since 1985... considering that inflation has really exploded in the last two decades, I don't think the economic system is working too well, do you?

Are you serious or just trolling?

But let's say I am serious. I'm totally serious. I think it's dumb that you value your technology that much.

Really dumb. we should all go live in the woods

Well I value technology that much. Without certain drugs, in which I still need to this very day, I would be either blind, deaf or dead. There is a certain condition I have had in the past that would have basically mutilated my eyeballs, along with my asthma which has left me to the point of near death. 

As much as I find some technological advances distasteful, I do find the statement, "We should all go live in the woods" quite over the top. No amount of natural non-technologically augmented drugs would have saved me from these situations.

Well, in a certain sense you're taking me too seriously and in another sense I think you're not taking it seriously enough. I doubt I'm going to get anything more than hate for this, but I think that for the most part we'd be fine without it. I mean not *us*, but humanity in general. A humanity that didnt know the allures of technology wouldnt mind life without it. it's just a matter of expectations. You expect a certain lifestyle and would be sad to have that expectation unfulfilled. However, without the expectation, I think you could be quite happy with 'living like an animal' (again, I dont understand why that's such a horrible thing). When I see a blind person or a deaf person, I dont see people who live tragic lives. There are studies that suggest that people have some innate level of happiness towards which they will tend over long periods of time. Going blind will make you unhappy, but I doubt you'll think about how horrible it is twenty years after the fact.

As for the topic of modern medicine... yea it's true that without technology more people would die. But dead people arent sad, it's the living that are sad for them. People will always find ways to deal with death. Humanity will survive. (actually as a species, we're in more trouble now than we were a thousand years ago).

But that's not to say I dont enjoy the technology and think we should actually all go live in the woods. We're too far to turn back so sharply, and I have no shred of belief that anything of the sort would ever happen without something tragic and devastating happening.

Damn, it seemed u guys have somehow understood the video as a grand attak on technological advancement in general, wich it really isn't. The guy's more or less trying to spread awareness of what a hacker can actually do, meaning we might wanna be more careful about depending too much on internet-connected devices, and sharing our personal info and stuff. My introduction and questions to the video were purposely over dramatized, we have way worse things than hacking in this day and age that we might complain about. I myseld share as minimum IRL info on the internet as possible, and I use as little devices as I can. I do think the middle path on this issue is the best path, and it's the path I follow ^_^

I hate game theory. He presents it as fact when clearly most of it is made up nonsense. Sadly I don't know what he says in this video as I refuse to give him a click.

He essentially just talks about the security of our technology and the rate in which it is growing, which he summaries the security to be beyond terrible. He refers to various hacking methods used in Watch Dogs and compares them to the possibilities, and allegedly, real life instances where similar events have happened.

In one instance he explains wireless pacemakers and how easy it is for hackers to interfere and possibly kill those who use them, providing demonstrations in which an actual person was able to hack a pacemaker to send volts through it. He also references self replicating viruses and more specially a program named agent.btz, in which took the American government 14(?) months to eliminate it.

In regards to your dislike to his channel, I personally enjoy it. I do, however, not indicate his opinions as fact, but rather an interesting theory in which I either agree or disagree with. But to each his own I suppose.