SC2013: torbin12 [Kanji Stage]

torbin12

I am gonna hijack everyone else's also, since this seems fun and an interesting way to learn. Also, apologies for getting a late start, but better late than not at all, right?

I am technically posting on Day 0, Day 1 will be tomorrow for me, it seems that my brain remembers best when I think of, or try to remember something within an hour or two before I go to sleep, although I tend to have a pretty good memory through out the day also. But, I also tend to have a fairly weak willpower, or....the ability to really apply myself if I don't 'need' to do something. Which is why I think this little contest/competition will be awesome for me, since it will make me feel like I 'need' to do the learning, so that my reports don't look....barren :P. I think I will have a decent ability to learn the Kanji well, and the Japanese alphabets as they bear certain similarities to Farsi (the primary language of the Middle East) which also uses characters for words, meanings, etc. and I was able to grasp and understand a good bit of Farsi with a fair bit of fluency. So, in that respect I have a slight advantage over a total lay-person (someone who is completely un-experienced in a certain aspect) in that I already have some experience drawing words and meanings from characters. Well, that turned into more of a wall than I expected it to.

Goal 1: I hope to understand Kanji and Kana well enough to be able to automatically translate it in my head without much effort by the end of 2013.

Goal 2: I would like to be able to read at least part of Bakuman in Japanese (a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I traditionally eschew[to avoid habitually] anything that doesn't break away from normal at least a litte, I still love Bakuman for some reason.)

Goal 3: To eventually be able to read an entire Visual Novel with no assistance from English translation, translation software, translation tools, completely from memory and knowledge of the language itself [Date Undetermined]

Study Time: I work early mornings (typically starting at about 0200-0400) until just afternoon, then I will set aside time for study from apprx 1500-1600, enjoy a nice light dinner, re-do the learning that I went through before, maybe play around with a game or two, then before going to sleep, do a review of what I learned that day.

Where I'm at right now: From the others that I have read, it seems that between 20-40 Kanji is where most people do it at, so I will initially attempt 30 Kanji a day, this number to be evaluated on my progress at the first 3rd Day Report. My total knowledge of actual Japanese language comes solely from what I have picked up through casual anime watching (sinful, I know, I apologize) and a few of the base Katakana symbols that I have picked up from some of the most ridiculous sources.

I will pick up the sources that I can when certain things allow, as well as attempting to use some of the resources posted (Japaneseclass.jp, Renshuu.org, etc[et cetera{and others}])

Thank you for this wonderful idea.

Day 3 Report

After a dismal first day, which included my job calling me back in 6 times over the course of 1400-2330 (2pm-1130pm) due to various malfunctions with equioment, I didn't have time to get much study done. My next 2 days turned out much better, and I have about 55 Kanji that I can reliably see and understand without 'too' much effort, so all in all, so far a success.

I have considered lowering the quota to about 25 per day, but for the moment will keep at 30, just to give me that kind of pressure (I am one of those who seems to do better in the final inning, if you know what I mean) The website, Japaneseclass.jp, seems to be a fairly fun way to practice and learn, so I believe I will continue to integrate that into my study.

My next report will be in apprx. 1-2 weeks from this one, although the success may be a little more scattered as my friend and I are going through the planning and prep phase of opening our own business, and that will, obviously, command quite a bit of my time.

So, this comes from experience: you're at the most dangerous point! You've learned a handful of Kanji, had some ups and downs, and now comes a "off-and-on" period. It's your life and your choice, but I'd say more than 95% of people will drop kanji if they do what you're thinking of doing.

Here's what I'd suggest: if it's a busy time of life, scale back to something crazy small like 5 kanji a day + reviews. Whatever you do, don't stop learning them! Any breaks make it easier to not come back.

Just a suggestion. Good luck : )

EDIT: Yeah, sorry, that post came out wrong. What I was trying to get across was that when life gets busy, Japanese is almost always the first thing that I, and others I've seen, let slip. If it gets to that point, scale back, and be sure to rely on all of us here in the forums. We've got your back, and will cheer you on. : )

Edited by Tay

I'll take that into consideration Tay, thanks for the advice, since this will definitely be a busy period for me, although, even when we get our business off the ground, I won't even try to stop learning, I may need to do more, dealing with the type of business I am going to be going into :P