Sundome Manga Ending Discussion

Ksiyas

So I just read Sundome in one sitting and in that amount of time i grew so attached to the characters even knowing what was going to happen relatively early on.

This ending left such a big impression on me, its like Clannad all over again.

Pretty much changed my ideas of what a manga/anime can be.

It had lots of perverted ecchiness that certainly got me excited but it still managed to bring me to tears. 

The ending was obvious from the beginning but it was still such a shock to me that I could not even cry. I wanted to believe that Kurumi was alright and that this new women was her after aging a few years. But upon letting it sink in I realized it obviously wasnt her and after reading through the final scene that Kurumi and Aiba were together multiple times I understood it. During the scene where he was im going to guess jerking off but it could have been a sex scene, but Aiba isnt the kind of person to go against her wish, and she never wakes up so they he doesnt have sex with her "Sudome". She is already dead during what he is doinf. It is just a flash back Hideo was having during the process and at that point I was able to cry. Throughout the scene we see Kurumi's hand and Aiba's hand together but Kurumi's hand is not locked in Aiba's. 

Like other people, I kind of wish that Aiba was not with another women at the end but perhaps having a memory of Kurumi, perhaps while looking at a picture. But understandably he cant just be alone forever, right?

Im a bit of a sensitive guy when it comes to anime/manga so im truly pained here. What did you guys think of the ending? Did it leave you speechless? Can you re watch it?

How did you get over it? I feel as if though it will take some time for me to get over this manga just like with Clannad. Although clannad had a much happier ending I think. Even if it was a cop out.

Honestly, Sundome is beautiful. It's so touching and so sincere, and the 'pervertedness' just makes that more real. The ending, him with another girl, was really bitter, but also sweet in the sense that he can move on. Because people move on and time heals. It's been a year and a half or two since I read it, so my detail isnt very good, but I remember that after finishing I didnt cry. I just sat up, looked around for a few minutes. And then I went on a walk, I think. I dont think I talked or said anything for the rest of the day, or at least a good number of hours. Knowing what to do with myself, how to be after reading and finishing Sundome was just too hard. I felt like all I wanted to do was to imprint that story onto my life somehow, to make it a part of me, but that I didn't know how to do so. I just wanted to be alone with it and feel all those things and understand everything, but it all sliped away from me, and continues to do so, with every passing second. Finishing Sundome taught me a thing or two about the long journey down from a peak. Something about the value of 'Sundome' because dealing with what comes after can be so hard, so empty, so painful, and so unfulfilling. Because you will never have what you had then.

I just wanted to be alone with it and feel all those things and understand everything, but it all sliped away from me, and continues to do so, with every passing second. Finishing Sundome taught me a thing or two about the long journey down from a peak. Something about the value of 'Sundome' because dealing with what comes after can be so hard, so empty, so painful, and so unfulfilling. Because you will never have what you had then.

I know what you mean. As it is now, all I want to do is find a way to make sure I dont forget this manga and its bittersweet lessons. Thanks for replying. Nice talking to someone about it :)

i loved sundome. i spent a few hours thinking about it a few months ago when i marathoned it. and the ending struck me with a thought. i don't think he moved on at all.i think he simply got a surrogate for her his wife in the ending looked extremely similar in appearance to her and his sexual dysfunction is because even though his wife looks similar he knows its not her and she wont do the things that kurumi would so the mimicry is not effective. i loved the foreshadowing with the fish. and the scene at the beach had me tearing up quite a bit. not many manga have touched me emotionally but sundome did, it left a lasting impression. frankly its right up there with welcome to the nhk for manga with impact for me.i would love to see it animated but at the same time i am afraid they will focus to much on the perverted portion of the series and not effectively balance it with the emotional turbulence he goes through falling in love with her and how it makes him grow as a person. 

I think krill has a point. I recall thinking something of the kind because he looked sad at the end, almost unfulfilled. I'd have to read the last chapter again, but to a degree I agree with Krill. While I wouldnt say that it's a surrogate, I believe he is still struggling, mostly unsuccessfully, to find his way through his experiences. But I believe that he will get there.

i loved sundome. i spent a few hours thinking about it a few months ago when i marathoned it. and the ending struck me with a thought. i don't think he moved on at all.i think he simply got a surrogate for her his wife in the ending looked extremely similar in appearance to her and his sexual dysfunction is because even though his wife looks similar he knows its not her and she wont do the things that kurumi would so the mimicry is not effective. i loved the foreshadowing with the fish. and the scene at the beach had me tearing up quite a bit. not many manga have touched me emotionally but sundome did, it left a lasting impression. frankly its right up there with welcome to the nhk for manga with impact for me.i would love to see it animated but at the same time i am afraid they will focus to much on the perverted portion of the series and not effectively balance it with the emotional turbulence he goes through falling in love with her and how it makes him grow as a person. 

Yeah. As much as I love  fan-service, I dont think the animators would focus enough on the love that rises from it and i would just be pissed off. The foreshadowing with the fish was an amazing detail and it really put me over the edge. We've known it was coming but that level of foreshadowing just made it painfully clear.

I think krill has a point. I recall thinking something of the kind because he looked sad at the end, almost unfulfilled. I'd have to read the last chapter again, but to a degree I agree with Krill. While I wouldnt say that it's a surrogate, I believe he is still struggling, mostly unsuccessfully, to find his way through his experiences. But I believe that he will get there.

The last page where he thinks "You still exist" is what i think you are referring to right? I think here, he is actually remembering Kurumi. He might be sad but he is also happy. It looks like thinking of her gave him the courage to man up and ask his girlfriend/wife (The girl does have a ring on her) about the golden shower. But I do agree that while he did have a pleasant expression it also looked pained.

Ugh. My heart.