MotM Proposition

Tay

Hey everybody,

I realize I need to get my rear in gear about last month's MotM -- my apologies to those who helped me with that project! -- but I wanted to feel out a different approach to MotM. I realize that MotM is divisive. There are too many great people and too many cool projects to definitively choose any one person, and sometimes feelings get hurt. Here's the best my brain cells can do for how to improve it. If this doesn't do it, then I'll have to dejectedly return to Rooke and try to come up with something better.

What would you guys think of MotM becoming nomination-based? Specifically: whenever you think somebody is doing something cool or worthy of praise or attention or is being an all-around great person, you send an email to [email protected] with the word "MotM Nomination" in the email's subject line? All emails will be kept confidential.

Each month 3 nominations are chosen and they'll be featured somewhere (and somehow) on the forums index page. (I actually have ideas for how to do this on the technical side of things, so don't fear that part) I'll be the first to admit that 3 isn't much better than 1, but it's a little better. You can nominate individuals and even projects (in which case everybody's names would be included for that entry).  In my mind, the purpose of this whole system is to highlight cool projects and people, give their work pageviews, and recognize the people who do a lot for the community.

Example: This month's featured folks of the month are: TL Project such-and-such, user such-and-such, and the team who wrote such-and-such blog article (with links to a more detailed award page featuring what they were nominated for and info on how to learn more). In this example you can see one individual, one project, and one community project were selected. Those are the three types of nominations I could think of, but I suppose you could nominate anything*. (*Within reason)

Thoughts? (I'd especially love to hear from those who don't like MotM)

Having members that hold a project or help out become MotM seems better to me, it makes it look more homey than having an almighty admin rule everything.

I say we give Ren the member of the year and go home.

Not sure I understood. You're thinking having a committee of members choose from the nominations?

Not sure I understood. You're thinking having a committee of members choose from the nominations?

Ah, my bad, I probably misunderstood you.

I had in mind having 3 members nominated by you because of whatever support they gave the last month and then having a poll where other members vote--or even a committee, that sounds better.

Septermber's MotM would be announced in October as the September MotM showdown ends after September ends; the October one would be announced in November and so on.

Am I making myself clear? My last resort (drawing) hasn't been drawn out yet~

I think nominations is a good idea. I don't agree with having three rather than one though, as it cheapens the value of the prize. Feelings will be hurt in anything remotely competitive, and cheapening the reward while at the same time increasing how upset one will be at not being one of the chosen three will only make things worse. 

I think nominations is a good idea. I don't agree with having three rather than one though, as it cheapens the value of the prize. Feelings will be hurt in anything remotely competitive, and cheapening the reward while at the same time increasing how upset one will be at not being one of the chosen three will only make things worse. 

More people able to be nominated = more motivation to make it on the list. Some people just are competitive like that and I'd rather see more people being able to make MotM to avoid drama, which a single MotM is likely to cause. It's also hard to pinpoint on a singular member for  the efforts in collaborative projects, see the compendium people worked on.

If the intent is to have people engage in various activities around the site I have one huge problem with this proposal though - since the main motivation is getting featured on MotM, projects that are publicly endorsed and promised consideration for MotM will cause an insurgence of people eager to work on them and afterwards jump ship for the next big thing, since some really only care about the recognition.

I agree on the 3 nomination system because they aren't the same type of nominations, allowing for a differentiation to whom the "prize" is awarded. It's like game of the year awards for example, there exists several categories, that's how I see it.

Having 3 MotM might be a good idea, even then some people will still not get the recognition for their works but there's no way to avoid it, MotM anywhere is always a competition, there'll always regret, always a losing side. Either way, this brings motivation for the members to work even harder on their individual projects.

A question: How would the three be chosen? You (Tay) and/or a team of mods discuss and decide which are the best nominations or what? Also, the quantity of nominations for the same member/project would weigh on the decision? I fell like that are people who help Fuwa from the shadows, without most of the members noticing and that could be a bit unfair with them.

I think it'd be better to have recognition for different fields. It gives the contribution of each member to a specific category more highlight, since the very subject of their contribution is the one at question. Something like that.

I do think this is a good idea, but right now, there'd hardly be enough members for that. Some fields would be left with no relevant contribution (in comparison to some others or at all), but this would be worth implementing one day.

What would you guys think of MotM becoming nomination-based? 

Example: This month's featured folks of the month are: TL Project such-and-such, user such-and-such, and the team who wrote such-and-such blog article (with links to a more detailed award page featuring what they were nominated for and info on how to learn more). In this example you can see one individual, one project, and one community project were selected. Those are the three types of nominations I could think of, but I suppose you could nominate anything*. (*Within reason)

I Agree and disagree with this. While we would be diversifying the amount of candidate that are eligible for this prestigious award, we would also be Putting several others at a disadvantage. The reason is simple. We are all different and therefore we all have different opinions on what is "Motm" material. 

I am not against this Idea, please. I just thought I'd point this out. But otherwise. It does seem like a cool idea.

I Agree and disagree with this. While we would be diversifying the amount of candidate that are eligible for this prestigious award, we would also be Putting several others at a disadvantage. The reason is simple. We are all different and therefore we all have different opinions on what is "Motm" material. 

I am not against this Idea, please. I just thought I'd point this out. But otherwise. It does seem like a cool idea.

everyone having different opinions on what makes a good motm is exactly why nominations is a good idea. after all no matter the members reasons for doing so if sevreal members nominate the same person and they get enough nominations to be picked as motm  is this not conforming to the wish of the membership at a whole?

only downfall i see is people getting together to gather votes for single members as a team effort. that would circumvent the whole reason behind the nomination process. but a workaround for this could easily be implemented.

This is true. But I still don't feel to good about this. We'll see. Like I said it is a good idea. 

I like the idea of user-generated nominations for MotM, but I think we should limit the accolade to just one user per month. They will certainly be months where a number of people will deserve recognition, but I feel like they can always be revisited as a nomination for another month. Having 3 MotM every month might just eventually spread the candidate pool too thin and dilute the quality of MotM down the line. 

That said, I don't think recognizing and featuring a project every month alongside the MoTM award is a bad idea. It might practically be the same thing for all intents and purposes, but I don't think it's a meaningless distinction. 

I'm really glad that were discussing this, especially since I was one of the people who didn't like how the MotM thing was going. If I repeat anything previously stated, I apologize. I was eager to out my two cents in so I only read Tay's post.

I was thinking about strictly basing it off of participation in a translation project, but that's not really a good idea. I wish that more of us could contribute to translating, but in reality most of the Fuwa citizens don't have the skills to contribute.

But I still think that we should only give MotM to people who have made some sort of significant contribution, videos, blogs, reviews, walkthroughts etc. We shouldn't have your average joe user getting his hopes up for being recognized after not doing anything but posting a bunch, we must be aware that its a reward that must be worked toward.

I personally think that having multiple categories will, as nohman said, use up the list of eligible people/projects rather quickly. There should continue to be only one MotM at a time. I don't see Fuwa going anywhere but up, and maybe in time well have enough followers to have multiple categories.

If we do it by email, I fear it will be very underused. I expect that the same few people would nominate others. We need the community at large to appreciate others who work hard, and where people will send in nominations even though they may never be MotM themselves