NGNL Author Caught Tracing

Nosebleed

This came as a shock to me today but apparently No Game No Life author who goes by the name of Kamiya Yuu has recently been called out on twitter for tracing his illustrations.

For those who don't know what tracing is, tracing is when you draw over someone else's illustrations using most or all their lines, essentially meaning you don't actually draw most part of the character/object/background.

A twitter account was opened and posted a lot of Yuu's No Game No Life illustrations alongside the images they were originally traced from.

Twitter in question: https://twitter.com/rotiflride

This is a very serious offense that has resulted in people getting fired in the past. Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse's novel author was fired when he was caught tracing.

This could potentially mean that Kamiya Yuu might be facing consequences for this which could greatly affect if not end the No Game No Life novels.

What are your thoughts on this and tracing in general?

Some pictures for evidence (you can see all on the twitter above):

unNxhvk.png

P35AXpQ.png

mMXRKbt.jpg

4fuwfsN.jpg

cx872Fr.jpg

jjfIlKe.jpg

CgA8r2q.png

hrICYGO.png

Mu2T0Qp.png

K6qnabo.png

I'm fine with tracing in general. Seems pretty effective. I can see why the original author would be displeased, though. I don't think it's an unnusual practice, but your name will be covered in mud when people find out. Not like it directly hurts other people... But it is taking a shortcut that would get honest authors pissed. 

NGNL was kinda fun to read, even if not a masterpiece. Hopefully nothing too big will happen to the series.

Yeah I don't think this is an isolated case at all, wether or not it's good practice is questionable, I personally think it's lazy drawing, but that's just me.

But since it's been called out, the author's name will not be seen under a bright light and if the publishing company he works for doesn't like it in particular he could get his publications canceled, that's really what would kind of suck.

Its far from being a copy. He mostly used the same pose. In case of real-life drawings artists use poser software all the time.
If we're talking about most of the work, then in this case No Game No Life author's original contribution is clearly bigger. In any way, I don't really care as long as the content is good (not talking about images, they are good, but rather about finished product in general).
But yeah, seeing how he is pretty successful with his work, it was only a matter of time for this topic to pop-up.

Its far from being a copy. He mostly used the same pose. In case of real-life drawings artists use poser software all the time.

If we're talking about most of the work, then in this case No Game No Life author's original contribution is clearly bigger. In any way, I don't really care as long as the content is good (not talking about images, they are good, but rather about finished product in general).

But yeah, seeing how he is pretty successful with his work, it was only a matter of time for this topic to pop-up.

No this is a clear case of tracing. When you just look at another piece of art and redraw the pose by eye the lines don't match up like this. Using poser software is completely different from this as that is software that is made for that reason. Outright tracing someone's work without permission is stealing. It is sometimes fine if you're being honest about it and it's just some personal art or fanart or something but tracing your art for a commercial product is extremely serious and really disrespectful towards the original artists as you're essentially taking money for their work.

No this is a clear case of tracing. When you just look at another piece of art and redraw the pose by eye the lines don't match up like this. Using poser software is completely different from this as that is software that is made for that reason. Outright tracing someone's work without permission is stealing. It is sometimes fine if you're being honest about it and it's just some personal art or fanart or something but tracing your art for a commercial product is extremely serious and really disrespectful towards the original artists as you're essentially taking money for their work.

B-but I never said its not tracing? Sure maybe he drew right on top of it, why would I care? Even if he completely traced the outline, finished work still have more of his own contribution. And anyway, I'm a simple consumer, final product is all that matters.

Edit: By looking at hair, clothes, background and stuff, we clearly can see that no more than 90% of the outline match (often less). And outline by itself is no more than 50% of the total work. Compared to many similar cases, this is a pretty modest stealing.

Edited by メルP

I'm not a fan of NGNL but I don't think it's a huge deal. Artists do this all the time, and it's not like he leaves it the same as the ones he traced, he makes enough changes. If you guys think that tracing and then changing some details is easy and simple, think again. And besides, all these anime girls look the same, not to mention all the same poses are reused all the time.

Not a fan. I think tracing contributes to the “samey” type of illustrations we’re seeing in manga/anime/LNs these days - the art tends to look more boring and uninspired. Not to mention I have philosophical problems with this practice.

The art from NGNL looks boring and uninspired? I mean, sure its subjective but I do think most people would agree that the new ones he made look better than the ones he traced.

The art from NGNL looks boring and uninspired? I mean, sure its subjective but I do think most people would agree that the new ones he made look better than the ones he traced.

I think it was more a general remark on the fact that chara-designs tend to be very standardized in recent years. Not to say they all look the same, but diversity isn't exactly thriving.

Though I'd argue that rather than practices like tracing it comes simply from the fact that anime&such consumers have acquired extremely precise "tastes" in terms of desired elements of design and will ignore anything that doesn't conform to them.

tracing is fine under specific conditions, its even a valid technique with its own set of equipment such as light boxes and reflector boards,. but the original artists were not credited, he didn't just sample a piece or design he took entire drawings and spiced them up and altered small features to suit his characters. thats plagiarism.  and in some cases ip theft. 

as for the using the same poses and poser software goes, they are no where near the same as this. its like comparing a counterfeit dress and the original "well he just used the same shape the color and material are different so its fine" . it does not work this way. artists live off their particular styles. companies hire them based on what they bring to the table stylistically all artists take small amounts from other artists but they don't out right trace it thats not being influenced by another artist its ripping them off, its dishonest, and its lazy.

• 4 months later...