Do you seed?

Fiddle

I was curious about how people view seeding their torrents. Personally, I feel obligated to put in at least as much as what I've taken from the communitiy, not to say that everyone who doesn't seed as much deserves censure. I tend to delete a torrent only when the upload:download ratio exceeds 1, and often go quite beyond that when the torrent is on the verge of death. However, there are a number of exceptions that might occur, such as when a torrent already has thousands of seeders and I don't seem to be uploading anything after a week.

Are you a good pirate? Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "good." Is a good serial killer a relatively moral one or an especially immoral one? Well, anyway, how do you seed your torrents?

I love how BakaBT works. You can torrent from them, but to actually use the site to its full extent you have to create an account that logs your ratio. I mean some of us are good stewards and share with the community but others have to be coerced into giving back. Nyaa is a community that leaves the responsibility up to the user, and I believe we should all support that site since they are the tracker for all the VNs that Fuwanovel has on the main site.

When I use TPB I always delete torrent + data as soon as I've finished. I refuse to seed to such a huge community, especially since ISPs in my area have been cracking down on torrenting.

Hmmm, it varies for me. if it's something I plan on keeping around for a while without moving, I'll seed it for a while (1-8 weeks), but my upload rate suuuucks, so I rarely exceed even .5, sorry to be such a leecher. I generally feel that seeding is good etiquette and if you dont have a fundamental problem with torrenting (why would you be if you're doing it) then you should give back at least a decent amount. You've inspired me to try and keep seeding things a little longer, so that I can pass forward the favor many have done to me.

If your internet isn't that fast, I'd recommend investing in a seedbox. Not only will it seed when your computer is turned off, but it'll seed a lot faster. My upload speed is fairly decent, so I don't have much need to buy one. It's practically a must-have if you want to compete for Bakabt ranking (if you care about that kind of thing).

The minimum obligation is 1:1. If everyone fulfilled that obligation, there would never be a dead torrent (unless it was never fully distributed). Alas, there's dead torrents everywhere on sites that don't provide an incentive to seed.

True, but there are some trackers I've been on where I've really tried to seed 1:1 and it's borderline impossible unless you have a seedbox. Because they're flooded with seedboxes and people seeding at 50:1 ratios. Well, those trackers are very healthy anyways and don't need much help from chumps like me to provide fast torrents, and the good trackers don't punish too harshly for it and have fair bonus point systems and ratio requirements. There was a tracker I couldn't use at all because of this phenomenon and a strictly enforced 0.9 ratio requirement with no bonus points or anything, unless you donated. That struck me as extremely greedy of the site owners, making it impossible to maintain ratio unless you donated or ran an expensive high-tier seedbox. I'm sure they made a lot of money off that scheme, though.

I see what you mean. Yeah, I suppose if a torrent is overseeded like that, you shouldn't feel obligated to. I don't mind keeping a torrent on file for months on end, so it doesn't entirely bother me. Gosh, I remember this one time I downloaded a 90GB file on Bakabt. That took forever to seed back. ;_; But despite the amount of time it takes to seed something back on trackers like BBT and the lack of necessity to do so, I still do it because of my obsession for website stats. :P

That is really lame marketing. I wouldn't agree with that kind of thing.

Deluge just runs in the background and eventually this happens d4261aff34.png

I think I have tsukibako at similar lolratios on my laptop, this is my desktop only.

I essentially check torrents once in a while and pause ones that seem to have many seeders and so on. One of the reasons why I don't really need to seed fuwa's LB etc.

There's a practically dead torrent I only go seed every other day and don't stay if there's no uploading. This is to make sure I don't unexpectedly lose speed at a bad time and reduce chances of getting tracked, whatever they are.

If someone can't wait for a few days on a seemingly dead torrent it just goes to show how little they needed it.

I seed my bedroom floor more than I should.

I did seed things and always tried to get a 1:1 ratio, but since switching my net over, my upload speed has gone to absolute balls and is capped at 30Kb/s. There's no way I can seed GBs at 20kb/s and aim for a 1:1 ratio. Companies have really been hitting upload speed hard since it's more expensive than download, and I don't live in an area that get very good internet (2Mb/s is the max, no fibre or anything here yet).

I still await the day that I have a good enough net speed to stream anything.

I seed with the 1:2 ratio in mind if the torrent benefits from it. Otherwise I just delete it. I think it is pointless to seed a torrent with already 4000 seeders or so. Sometimes I can seed up to 10 - 20 times of the torrent's size if I like it and it is almost dead. Sad to check the torrents after one night and you uploaded 5 times the size of a big torrent in just a couple of hours.

Interesting idea Zaka. That way you never lose a torrent and can always put it up for seeding again if needed.