Ciel Nosurge (prequel to Ar Nosurge PS3)

Cyrillej1

So I just started playing this game ^^ Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star

Ar_no_Surge_cover.jpg

I found out this game is actually a sequel. The first game is Ciel Nosurge that never got released in english (and probably won't ever, since it's more VN play-style it seems).

If you're playing this game, I suggest you read the translated summary of the prequel here (by blackraen). There is a shorter version here (by knightless). It gives more background about the characters, and the story leading up to that point.

It definitely gave me a better understanding of the background and made me more attached to the current characters to enjoy the game more ^^  so I'm really glad they made these summaries for us! I really recommend you read the summary of the first game if you're planning to play this.

Edit: So I just totally finished reading the Ciel Nosurge summary, and wow that was amazing! You definitely Need to read it if you play Ar Nosurge for a better understanding of the story & characters. Everything will make more sense when starting Ar Nosurge for the first time. Even though it can be long to read, it will definitely be worth it to help you enjoy the game more.

Edited by Cyrillej1

Thank you ^.^ I have to say that the soundtrack for this game is so good.

Yup, enjoy the game ^^  I'm pretty hyped about it.

I`m playin Ar no and Fairy Fencer F right now.

And i`m enjoying both of em, especially Ar no since i`m a fan of Ar No/Tonelico games.

Yeah, you were the one to tell me about this game coming out :P. I enjoyed Fairy Fencer somewhat. It was fun, but the story was somewhat lacking I think. Still cute though, and the fighting animations I liked.

I'm going to try and pick up Fairy Fencer F and Ar no Surge in a few days. I own AR 1 and 2 for PS2, and whatever that other one is for PS3. 

Fairy Fencer is really short game ^^; you can beat it in less than 20hours I think. But it seems like there is more than one character ending (I got Tiara's ending).  I'm guessing to get the true ending,

probably need to collect all Fury at certain point of the game and free the goddess statue perhaps

I was in a rush to beat it so I could play Ar Nosurge xD, I beat it in under a week of playing.  I have a feeling Ar Nosurge will take longer, hope so!

I can't play Ar Nosurge and Ar Tonelico III as PS3 doesn't yet have a stable emulator but I thought that I might want to put Ar Tonelico I & II in my to play list but I couldn't find much information about them. so can anyone give me more info about them, is there any romance in them? Are there multiple routes/endings? Is it a VN with a gameplay or a JRPG with VN elements? Is story any good?

I can't play Ar Nosurge and Ar Tonelico III as PS3 doesn't yet have a stable emulator but I thought that I might want to put Ar Tonelico I & II in my to play list but I couldn't find much information about them. so can anyone give me more info about them, is there any romance in them? Are there multiple routes/endings? Is it a VN with a gameplay or a JRPG with VN elements? Is story any good?

Romance is part of Ar Tonelico(especially in "Diving") and yes it have multiple ending in Ar tonelico 1,2 n 3.

If i`m not wrong there r 7 endings in Arto 1,4 in Arto 2 and 8 endings for Qoga(Arto 3).

Not only Romance, Music is the main charm of Ar Tonelico trilogy.

i wont say it truly a vn(though three of em have vndb pages, you should check em).

And the story huh, since i`m a really big fan of Ar Tonelico story and games i will say it one of the best out there(IMHO),however in the end you should judge it by yourself.

It's a JRPG with some VN elements to it. Yes, it hints at a lot of romance and there is a lot of character development. It seems to be an important aspect in all their games. There will be female characters that have the power of Song Magic (which is extremely powerful, but takes time to charge while in battle), and the Main Character is responsible for protecting them against enemy attacks. So they build a trusting relationship.  The battle systems are more similar in game 1-2 where it's turned based, and the 3rd game is more real-time action.

http://youtu.be/k0LLpoN8jWs

The VN-like elements come into play when you have to Dive into the heroines (this means the main character enters into their internal world.. I guess something like their sub-consciousness or w/e through the Dive system). You explore their inner world, pretty much like reading a VN and choose choices that will help her open up and become closer to you.  By doing this, in the real world, the heroine will then gain more powerful songs and a stronger bond with the Main Character.  So there's a lot of romance element to it.

http://youtu.be/GkHkdE_yv2A

You'll encounter a lot of innuendos xD.. so it can be funny if you're into that.. the game can be really moe. Here's an example:

http://youtu.be/JoODv8LVib8

It's been quite a long time since I played 1-3.. but I believe they have multiple endings, depending on the girl you choose to get close with?

I enjoyed both Ar Tonelico 1 & 2. Number 2 had more interaction between the two heroines though, so it was better in that aspect. I personally liked the characters in Number 1 more though. I didn't really like Ar Tonelico 3 as much, mostly because of the battle system being a bit boring.  The best part of the game is also the nice songs/music^^

I think they could all be played fine as stand-alone games.. but you should definitely try it in order anyways if you can since there are some references, and some characters reappear. Hope you try them!

Monmon, Curillej1, thanks for so much info it sounds pretty good, I couldn't find much useful info on it by googling and I newer heard anyone mention it here before so I didn't know what to think about it, now I'll putt it in my plan to play list. True I have 1 last question, is it possible to put Jap sound and only eng text? I can't stand eng dubs I think they sound very ridiculous (No offense to do does who like them).

Monmon, Curillej1, thanks for so much info it sounds pretty good, I couldn't find much useful info on it by googling and I newer heard anyone mention it here before so I didn't know what to think about it, now I'll putt it in my plan to play list. True I have 1 last question, is it possible to put Jap sound and only eng text? I can't stand eng dubs I think they sound very ridiculous (No offense to do does who like them).

i know its a really big file  but i couldnt help it since i couldnt find any good torrent for Undub things except this.

I believe all their games have been released with Dual Audio, so you can choose between either having English or Japanese voices. (sorry if I'm incorrect, been a long time xD)... I'm know at least Ar 3, and Nosurge have both.

Some parts of the games are not completely English dubbed I think... so if you choose Japanese, you will have more of the full experience probably. (That's what I've already noticed in Nosurge. ex: no voice during Dive if voices are in English).

• 6 months later...

Ah, yeah, I've played both Ciel nosurge and Ar nosurge. I had mixed impressions of Ciel nosurge, and I sort of lost interest in it because things got a little confusing (and weird).

I played a lot of Ar nosurge (JP ver.) - I liked the game much more than I thought I would! Well, after At3, my expectations were kinda low. =/

I can say one thing that applies to all and every Ar tonelico and Surge Concerto game: their soundtracks are AMAZING!

Edit: Crap... I didn't realize the last post was 6 months ago...

• 8 months later...