Fuwanovel Osu! Thread

Tief Blau

On 1/30/2018 at 1:22 PM, Odenvard said:

Alright, so I got a pretty good score on beatmap I previously struggled with pretty hard. Its a normal difficulty map, and technically on the lower end of that, at least star-wise, but considering that, when I first started playing osu, I got stuck below the skill level needed for most easy maps, it at least seems impressive for a zero talent player. :P

This post conveniently serves as a test to make sure I can actually put up images as well.

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot.png

Score isn't showing for me. Can you link the beatmap and say what score you got?

EDIT: nvm it shows in the quote lol. Nice score too.

Edited by tahu157

So, I've gotten slightly better than when I posted that score. One thing I like to do is play maps that are way above my skill level on no fail. It serves as good practice, and is even, somewhat ironically, far less stressful than practing on my skill level. After all, if the map is so hard for you that just getting a few hits is pretty impressive, then its quite a decent bit easier to brush off failure as being normal, while still being possible to learn from it.
Here's an example of a score I got on the insane difficulty of the map I previously posted about;

Spoiler

screenshot_insane.png

Also, here's a legit, no-no-fail, score from the hard map of a cool map for a cool song;

Spoiler

screenshot_hard.png

On 2/3/2018 at 11:52 PM, Elysion said:

osu! was a part of my life for 9 years or so.

It can be a very comfy game to come back to, I'm glad to see some people here enjoy it.

Don't forget to rest your eyes, the strain is very real!

I can confirm that eye strain can be a problem... the circles have stayed with me an hour or two after one or two of my play sessions. :P

Edited by Odenvard
spelling

10 hours ago, Odenvard said:

One thing I like to do is play maps that are way above my skill level on no fail.

I've never really tried playing stuff that's out of my league with no-fail as a learning method. I will say though that I find I improve the most when I play maps that are uncomfortably fast. These are still maps I can get a pass on without too much trouble, but I usually can't maintain any real combo/score on them because I don't have the consistency for that tapping speed yet. Even so, just getting used to the speed tends to have a trickle-down effect that improves all of my skills at the same time.

58 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

There's nothing wrong with using no-fail to practice, just as long as you can get a B or a high C on a map. Ds are definitely too hard for reliable improvement, though.

To be fair, I can actually get extremely consistent scores on maps I get low D ranks on. For example, when I was just re-getting into osu, I was getting as low to 10-15% on certain really hard maps, but the accuracy I got on such maps stayed extremely consistent at any given time. At this point, I seem to get 20% consistently on the super hard ones, and as high as 40% on certain ones. For any map, however, the accuracy doesn't change too much within the same day for me, unless I specifically note certain mess ups I'm making and actively practice my way around those. I do attempt this mindful sort of practice of stuff well enough in my skill range, but I try not to do this on the ones way out of my league, though, since just focusing on getting hits at all is far more useful. It is my firm belief that, in a lot of cases, simple practice on tasks notably above what you want to actually accomplish with a certain skill can lead to the same overall skill than (necessarily more focused) practice of tasks sitting mostly within your skill level in less time overall. Of course, it's generally a good idea to mix the two practice styles, rather than sticking to either entirely.

1 hour ago, Odenvard said:

To be fair, I can actually get extremely consistent scores on maps I get low D ranks on.

See, that's the thing. Your overall score is a bad measure for performance when it comes to Ds because you're either not racking up any kind of combo or your rhythm timing is too far off for it to have any meaningful impact on it. In fact, consistency shouldn't even be measured on practice maps because you're still developing the muscle memory and reading needed to play them well.

1 hour ago, Odenvard said:

It is my firm belief that, in a lot of cases, simple practice on tasks notably above what you want to actually accomplish with a certain skill can lead to the same overall skill than (necessarily more focused) practice of tasks sitting mostly within your skill level in less time overall.

I think you're overevaluating the difficulty range needed to improve. A D usually indicates that you have virtually no ability to read that map, and all you're accomplishing is waving your mouse wildly, hoping to click the circle. Running with this difficulty will do nothing for your aim or accuracy, and you'll end up developing very bad habits that will be difficult to shake off in the long run. Take it from someone who was stuck at 5.2-5.6 stars for a really long time.

2 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

See, that's the thing. Your overall score is a bad measure for performance when it comes to Ds because you're either not racking up any kind of combo or your rhythm timing is too far off for it to have any meaningful impact on it. In fact, consistency shouldn't even be measured on practice maps because you're still developing the muscle memory and reading needed to play them well.

I think you're overevaluating the difficulty range needed to improve. A D usually indicates that you have virtually no ability to read that map, and all you're accomplishing is waving your mouse wildly, hoping to click the circle. Running with this difficulty will do nothing for your aim or accuracy, and you'll end up developing very bad habits that will be difficult to shake off in the long run. Take it from someone who was stuck at 5.2-5.6 stars for a really long time.

Err, by score, I meant how well I did. I guess accuracy percentage is actually what I use.

I suppose something to keep in mind is that my ability to read maps is WAY ahead of my physical limits... that is, I know what I need to do to beat any given map long, long before I can actually do that thing well enough for that information to be actionable. That's probably a pretty big factor in why what I do seems to actually work.

Here's a score from the end of last month (pretty much just a week ago), on an insane map, which is above my play level, but not as far as some of the stuff I play;

Spoiler

scrsht1.png

Here's a play from that same map, but from earlier today;

Spoiler

scrsht2.png

And here's a play from same map, from immediately after the previous one;

Spoiler

scrsht3.png

Slightly worse, but that can be pretty much entirely attributed to being tired from the play right before it.

All three of these ranks are D's, but there is a clear, cleanly defined jump here. These are probably what one would consider "higher end D's", but this sort of pattern carries throughout all of my plays, from high ranks up to SS to the lowest D's. Mentioning "score" probably gave the wrong idea, but the accuracy is the biggest factor when I check these patterns. I just consider accuracy to be a better indicator of proficiency than score itself,and thus more of a score than score itself, all things considered..

Your screenshots are broken. Try imgur.

12 hours ago, Odenvard said:

I suppose something to keep in mind is that my ability to read maps is WAY ahead of my physical limits... that is, I know what I need to do to beat any given map long, long before I can actually do that thing well enough for that information to be actionable. That's probably a pretty big factor in why what I do seems to actually work.

Try playing one of your D maps with easy/halftime. If you can play one like that, I might be inclined to believe you can read them properly.

12 hours ago, Odenvard said:

All three of these ranks are D's, but there is a clear, cleanly defined jump here. These are probably what one would consider "higher end D's", but this sort of pattern carries throughout all of my plays, from high ranks up to SS to the lowest D's. Mentioning "score" probably gave the wrong idea, but the accuracy is the biggest factor when I check these patterns. I just consider accuracy to be a better indicator of proficiency than score itself,and thus more of a score than score itself, all things considered..

Accuracy is almost as important as consistency. Accuracy is easy to work on if you train yourself to read a certain way, but consistency will require a lot of discipline and fewer retry spams.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:25 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

Try playing one of your D maps with easy/halftime. If you can play one like that, I might be inclined to believe you can read them properly.

To be honest, easy mode seems to make these maps harder, so I went and did one with just halftime (no nofail :P).

Amusingly, despite being absolutely lazy with this, it turned out to be a higher overall score than my highest nofail on this map. Anyways, its a C rank:

Spoiler

scrsht_ht.png

Btw, my images work for perfectly for me. Are you somehow blocking postimg or something?

In any case, those previous ones are all runs of Linkin Park, Steve Aoki - A Light That Never Comes [Insane], just as this one is.

The first one is D rank, 181730 score, 46.32% accuracy, 262x300+309x100+36x50+194xMisses. Nofail

Second one is D rank, 355675 score, 68.79% accuracy, 465x300+239x100+38x50+59xMisses. Nofail

Third one is D rank, 355360 score, 67.10% accuracy, 452x300+239x100+35x50+75xMisses. Nofail

In case you can't even see this one, its C rank, 362719 score, 72.87% accuracy, 506x300+211x100+44x50+40xMisses. Half Time

If you seriously can't see any of my images, then I guess I'll make another post with links to a temp general file hosting site with the images instead, or something.

Edited by Odenvard
a word

Oh huh. Idk why, but all of a sudden they started showing up for me again.

You probably did better with halftime because it's an AR you're more accustomed to. The EZ mod is suppose to make the circles easier to click and provide a more forgiving accuracy range, but the downside here is that it makes reading a bit more strenuous. Combining that with halftime would've made it an even greater monstrosity since they both lower AR. But see, the point I'm trying to make is that reading is a bit different from how you're describing it. The definition of reading kinda differs from player to player, but I think just about every experienced player will tell you that it doesn't involve the ability to just see circles as they come up. In my view, reading involves the ability to react to circles in a way that aligns with your pattern recognition. Applying the EZ mod negatively amplifies a map's readability. If you could get an A or higher using EZ/HT, I would be more inclined to believe that your reading capabilities outpace your cursor movements.

I do see the consistency in your scores, but I would still make the argument that these maps are too difficult for you. Getting better at Osu is all about concentration and muscle memory, and you absolutely cannot develop that with D maps.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to force you into a more preferable playstyle, I'm just giving you advice the best way I can. I've written a beginner's guide that has been approved by a top 400 player, so I'm fairly confident in my ability to help new players. Feel free to give it a glance on my profile if you like. https://osu.ppy.sh/users/4313410

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Thanks. :) Sadly my damaged left arm has kinda taken me out of commission for the time being, but I'll be playing again once I'm able to do a reasonable amount of pushups. So far I've just been able to recover from my surgery well enough to ride my bike again.

Another tip: Don't spend too much time playing this game, lol.

Yeah, a few months ago my hands were hurting pretty bad from playing too much. Then school breaks happened and I didn't play much because I was away from my usual setup. My play sessions are a lot shorter these days too because my patience for the game is wearing out. Between the two things my hands are feeling a lot better.