Fuwanovel Osu! Thread

Tief Blau

I have a good improvement method :

Play for fun.

This works :P

But I've seen three improvement methods people use.

One would just be keep trying songs out of your reach, so playing super hard stuff with No Fail, which is probably the least efficient way to train, since you are only practicing speed without actually building overall skill.

The 2nd was is the general method, which is play songs a little bit above your skill level until you can play fairly well on them then moving on. This is good balance between improving at a good speed and building good skill levels.

The last I heard is play songs slightly above your skill range until you can FC, not just easily clear and move on when you have FC'd most things in your skill range. This builds consistency but is probably the slowest way to improve overall.

I personally used something similar to the third method because I like watching my rank rise. I also play songs a little more out of my skill range, but that's usually songs I like and to see if I can actually pass some songs.

I'm not saying any method is overall better than the others, these were just my perspectives on different training methods in osu!

Play for fun.

I support this method.

What's your improvement method? When I played, I mistakenly stayed around doing HD+HR+DT on normals for too long, and then stayed around farming PP on Hard with HD for too long :P My playcount is huge because I retried countless times trying to earn PP back when the PP system sucked

I used to do the same thing but for ranked score back before the PP system. DL a map, FC the hardest difficulty I could then move onto the next map. Rinse and repeat. Wasnt really improving, just grinding rank...was super anal about my accuracy tho...If I had anything less then 97% I would quit the map before finishing so it didnt mess up my overall acc%...Got to around 2300 before the system got changed and I quit. 

Now I just dont give a shit about rank or accuracy and just play songs I like.

I support this method.

I used to do the same thing but for ranked score back before the PP system. DL a map, FC the hardest difficulty I could then move onto the next map. Rinse and repeat. Wasnt really improving, just grinding rank...was super anal about my accuracy tho...If I had anything less then 97% I would quit the map before finishing so it didnt mess up my overall acc%...Got to around 2300 before the system got changed and I quit. 

I was the same way about accuracy, I wouldn't finish a map with below 97%, but nowadays I do t care, but the dog s that give me good PP usually are high accuracy scores since I play jumpy maps where it's not all that hard to get a high %

Play for fun.

I support this method.

Unfortunately, I can't just simply play like that. But no worries, I'm actually one of those guys that can have a lot of fun with improving alone. And I'll never play a map seriously if I don't enjoy it. In fact, I'm more likely to trash it than anything else (I have about 1600 maps downloaded, so I'm not worried about variety, lol). But yeah, I suppose it's a thing I picked up from WoW. Believe it or not, I use to perform on a worldwide level as a melee dps. I'm hoping to do something similar for Osu. It took me a year and a half to get that good on WoW, and I'm hoping to get that good for this game within that timeframe. God, I haven't had this drive in a while.

What's your improvement method? When I played, I mistakenly stayed around doing HD+HR+DT on normals for too long, and then stayed around farming PP on Hard with HD for too long :P My playcount is huge because I retried countless times trying to earn PP back when the PP system sucked

Be prepared for a colossal wall of text. I've put a lot of thought into this method, and it's fairly complex as well, so I can't really put it in a short statement, lol.

Before I get into my routine, I'll need to explain how I have my maps organized:

Low PR: C

Mid PR: B-S (less than 50% FC)

High PR: A-S (more than 50% FC)

Accuracy: FC'd maps with less than 99% acc.

1 Mod: HR

2 Mod: HR+HD

2.5 Mod: HR+DT

3 Mod: HR+HD+DT

Borderline mastered: 99% with all 3 mods

Mastered: 100% with all 3 mods.

The way it works with the mod section is that I'll move upgrade them whenever I hit 99% with them. When I HIT 99% in accuracy, I'll aim for 99% with HR, then 99% with HR+HD, and so on. And while FL may have been fun for a little while, I eventually got tired of it. Since it doesn't improve anything other than your map score (your PP will plummet if you don't match your previous accuracy with the original 3 mods), I decided it wasn't worth investing any effort into. When I improve my performance enough on a particular map, I'll relocate it to a different section. I won't downgrade it if my performance goes down for whatever reason, I'll just leave it in the same spot and try to improve on it later.

iCzYqWul.png

(Does anyone have any idea how to rearrange these?)

As for my progression: I've been using a little bit of a pyramid system. I'll start off with doing maps that are above my performance level, and work my way downwards. Right now, my current performance level has me doing 3-star maps with good quality. I'll start off by doing a warm-up with a map from mid priority. I'll then do 2-3 maps on the 4-star level while using the no-fail mod. I'll then do 2-3 runs of 3-star maps that I haven't been able to pass (no mods). After that, I'll do 5 maps from my low priority section, 10 from my mid, and I'll do 1-4 runs of 4 different maps on high. The 1-4 is determined by the length of the map, and the maps I choose will be based on difficulty as determined by the game client (I'll choose 2 of the easiest ones and 2 of the hardest ones in that section). Then, I'll do 1-2 repetitions of every map in my accuracy section. I'll choose 1 map from each of my mods section and keep working on them until I can advance it to the next section (unless it's impossible for me to do until I improve my performance, or until it hits borderline mastered). Then I'll finish off the routine by doing one map from the borderline mastered section once. If I can't SS it on the first try, I'll give up on it.

The idea of this routine is to build up your skill levels in the most flexible way possible. Osu is a very complex game and offers a very diverse way to improve your performance in addition to building skill. I feel that this method would be the best way to cover as many angles as possible without having to resort to mindless grinding. The idea behind this scheme is to put an emphasis on skill-building and getting your mind right for hitting notes accurately. As you move up with this technique, you'll notice that the ease that comes with working downwards will allow you to concentrate less on the execution of the note hitting and more on hitting them with precision. Even performing an easier song with greater efficiency will develop the way you play Osu. Being in a mindset that forces you to hit notes more accurately will help to make this trait feel more natural, and it will carry over once you get back to doing the harder songs. Then, once you've gone through everything and start over with doing the harder songs, you'll notice that you're able to hit them with better precision. In turn, this will allow you to push for more challenging content, and making it possible to push maps into more improved sections. This is also set up so that I can improve my performance while avoiding repetition fatigue. It's a pain having to improve performance on songs where you have a lesser chance of gaining anything.

If you do decide to try this method, just let me know if it works for you or not. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I want to eventually post a video for this (it'd be a million times easier to explain on a video than it would be in a forum post, lol). I'm not sure if I explained everything the way I intended to, so feel free to ask if you're unsure on anything.

And don't worry, I've been meaning to write this out anyways, so it's not too much of a bother for me. I'll eventually get it on video once I've gotten use to using it a lot.

If you can actually play HR+DT, I'm impressed.

I personnaly think it useless to play maps unless it's a bit challenging.

S'ing a map feels nice, but i'd rather spend some time on C'ing Scarlet rose (Soon TM) rather than S'ing hard maps with mods.

And I don't want to critize. But gaining ranks until 40k is really easy.

The ascenscion slows up gradually and gets really really slow starting 30k.

But if your objective is to climb up rank, the way things are made rewards the mod and acc grinding, even on easy maps, so I guess your method would work ... maybe.

I'm still convinced someone who can pass a 6 star maps with crappy acc is way better than someone who can SS a 3 star map with 3 mods.

So many people are overrated.

When I go multi with strangers at 20k-ish we play 4.5 star maps ... Why ? I just don't get it.

And when we get a little faster it's QQ time about maps being too fast ...

The game just wants me to grind boring and slow <=4 star maps.

To sum up how I think : Passing > FC'ing

*Yeah I really really don't like the ranking system if you didn't notice*

*Pissed off mode OFF*

Maef is talking about me in there with my 20k rank :P I was being overwhelmed by his choices of map. In my case, I just grinded jumpy maps and nothing else so I lack in many areas of skill.

@Kenshin: That's awesomely planned, but one thing I suggest is that if you are using DT+HR on a song on Hard, you're pretty much ready for Insane. DT+HR is crazy high Approach Rate, higher than you play on almost all Insane without score mods.

Maef is talking about me in there with my 20k rank :P I was being overwhelmed by his choices of map. In my case, I just grinded jumpy maps and nothing else so I lack in many areas of skill.

No I wasn't talking about you ! 

The maps we played were fun and challenging ! 

There's no way i'd say that.

Please don't think that ;_; I didn't mean that !

I feel the main problem with the tl;dr approach detailed above is the amount of organizational overhead involved. Just kinda playing things is moar fun for me, but your personal approach is understandable - min / maxing that way can be a satisfying experience as well. I do feel it works much better in a game like WoW though.

No I wasn't talking about you ! 

The maps we played were fun and challenging ! 

There's no way i'd say that.

Please don't think that ;_; I didn't mean that !

I was joking, it's just that I've only played online three times and all three times I was being destroyed skill wise by players lower rank than me because of how I trained.

What about...both! 7328962f58.jpgGot 80 pp for this. I'm really getting used to AR9 xD

I have never felt the need or want, to resort to mindless grinding. I play for fun and of course I will retry a song if I know I can do better or if I derp but I never have or will resort to mindless grinding because this is only a game for fun to me. Not a competition

That song was the first one I attempted with AR9 and was my obsession to pass a while ago. I tried it again 2 days ago and got 98.15% (not home for screenshot). It's a calming song and pretty high OD (8 I think)

If you can actually play HR+DT, huge props to you.

I personnaly think it useless to play maps unless it's a bit challenging.

S'ing a map feels nice, but i'd rather spend some time on C'ing Scarlet rose (Soon TM) rather than S'ing hard maps with mods.

And I don't want to critize. But gaining ranks until 40k is really easy.

The ascenscion slows up gradually and gets really really slow starting 30k.

But if your objective is to climb up rank, the way things are made rewards the mod and acc grinding, even on easy maps, so I guess your method would work ... maybe.

I'm still convinced someone who can pass a 6 star maps with crappy acc is way better than someone who can SS a 3 star map with 3 mods.

So many people are overrated.

When I go multi with strangers at 20k-ish we play 4.5 star maps ... Why ? I just don't get it.

And when we get a little faster it's QQ time about maps being too fast ...

The game just wants me to grind boring and slow <=4 star maps.

To sum up how I think : Passing > FC'ing

*Yeah I really really don't like the ranking system if you didn't notice*

*Pissed off mode OFF*

Your rage is understandable, lol. It's no problem. :) My aim isn't so much to have high acc with mods be the ultimate objective, but to use it as a means to keep consistent quality with your improvement as you climb up the ranks. My methods aren't really geared towards beating maps at higher difficulty, but to complete them as efficiently as possible for better ranks. There's still an emphasis on progressing difficulty with my method, but doing low-performance maps is more of a measure for how far your training has taken you and a way to mentally prepare yourself for easier maps that you've had struggles with. Keep in mind that just simply playing a map that challenges you in some way is guaranteed to progress your skill, and once you've gone from the bottom and start working your way up from the harder maps, it's a chance to improve at that map so you can start playing it with efficiency. I will eventually hit 6 stars using this method, and I'll integrate it into my training so I can play them with as much accuracy as possible after practicing for some time. And of course, I wouldn't be this driven if it was that easy to rank. ^^

@Kenshin: That's awesomely planned, but one thing I suggest is that if you are using DT+HR on a song on Hard, you're pretty much ready for Insane. DT+HR is crazy high Approach Rate, higher than you play on almost all Insane without score mods.

Well, the exercise isn't meant to have those mods as a hard substitute for doing insanes. As I mentioned, if I can't even achieve an FC with the mods, I won't bother training them (the mods are, more-or-less, there to refine my skill and get use to using mods during gameplay). I probably should have mentioned this sooner, but I will have 2-star maps integrated as well for accuracy practice, but I plan to eventually 3-mod rank with harder difficulties as I progress. The mods are basically me improving my performance using a wide range of difficulties and challenges. And even 2-star HRs can be tricky when set up a certain way. Getting use to those tricky mechanics will help you a lot in the long run.

I have never felt the need or want, to resort to mindless grinding. I play for fun and of course I will retry a song if I know I can do better or if I derp but I never have or will resort to mindless grinding because this is only a game for fun to me. Not a competition

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's just that my preferences warrant me wanting to improve. I look at replays on maps like this, and I get a strong urge to want to play at that level! Again, I know it's aiming ridiculously high for any standard, but my goal is to one day rank in the top 50 of the hardest setting on a Saten map (seriously, I love the way this guy designs his maps). Hell, I've had that urge ever since I started looking at replays for Wahrheit. Hell, I've even done 140 vanity plays just because I was attracted to it (I have a very unhealthy mindset when it comes to gaming). But by all means, just simply playing the game WILL improve your skill, and it's generally funner depending on your preferences. For me, I love planning things out and working with a structured layout on stuff. It's just how I am. And considering how it coincides with my desire to get better, it all works out! And I can't emphasize this enough, but even acc training can still be fun for me, so it's no problem at all. The only reason I mention it is to give you guys an idea, or an inspiration, on how you can change things up to better improve your performance. But if you're content with how you play, then you're basically in the most ideal position you can be for playing Osu.

I feel the main problem with the tl;dr approach detailed above is the amount of organizational overhead involved. Just kinda playing things is moar fun for me, but your personal approach is understandable - min / maxing that way can be a satisfying experience as well. I do feel it works much better in a game like WoW though.

Yeah, I have an unusual knack for organizing things. If you looked at my folder layout in Windows Explorer, you'd see that I have things set up rather intricately, but in a way that allows me to open files in the most convenient way possible. Believe it or not, I actually enjoy organizing things. The hour I spent on organizing my maps into sections went by in a flash. :P

Actually, WoW doesn't even require that much effort to get good. More-or-less, your performance is based on research, trial and error experimentation, theorycrafting, and setting up your interface. If you can master those aspects, you're basically 80% of the way there to playing amongst the elites. The 20% is filled by live experience. Unfortunately, the only way to get better at raiding is through sheer raiding, and those take a lot of time to set up. Even dungeons will only help you to improve so much for raiding (dungeons generally require a lot less attention to detail as compared to raids). But Osu is a lot more reliant on practice due to its large variation of mapping styles and it doesn't require multiplayer to improve (although it's always more fun to play with friends). WoW raiding is extremely rinse and repeat, so all you have to do is get use to the fight mechanics once you've mastered your play style.

And I think it's working! I ended up getting this just from a quick session and got another 6 PP! It literally took me one hour, and the process didn't feel grindy at all. Still, I missed my FC at the end of the map, but it's a huge improvement from where I was with this map yesterday (I could only get up to 329 on my combo).

wC6RhJm.png

And I think it's working! I ended up getting this just from a quick session and got another 6 PP! It literally took me one hour, and the process didn't feel grindy at all. Still, I missed my FC at the end of the map, but it's a huge improvement from where I was with this map yesterday (I could only get up to 329 on my combo).

wC6RhJm.png

1-miss club ftw!

So, I have a huge weakness of being super inconsistent on streams, but I managed to pretty much FC this song (I dropped my streak at the very beginning in the easy part like a loser)

GcXrrZe.jpg

Just noticed, according to osu! this his the most "difficult" song I've gotten an S on. It probably would have been my best performance if I had the full FC and didn't suck at streams earning only 94%. I'll probably try sometime soon to FC and 96% it.

Um, I decided to try it out and it got all the way up to the chorus and then there are just no more notes.. but then 3/4 of the way in there will be a random slider, then there will be a no notes again. And then once it gets the end of the map a spinner will appear.

abe9aa263f.jpg

Well.....

uhm.....

That's because i'm still working on it... ._.