Fuwanovel Osu! Thread

Tief Blau

I think my multi training with Maefdomn is starting to pay off. I can do the majority of Insanes fairly decently now. Including the map that Yume made

Get ready, next session we are doing this :

fr6PBvC.png

So, I fell into an osu! slump about a month so I took a break and finally started playing again recently. In the past 48 hours though, I've had the frustration of low miss runs on every song I played...

n0hKCHb.jpg

NORRQX4.jpg

7yzMHof.jpg

qMXqKIv.jpg

8HZoqW5.jpg

tWD2fDu.jpg

ZkjxkO8.jpg

It's hard getting into the game when you keep getting 1-2 misses on songs you know you should be able to FC with ease...

Well, right now I am playing better than I was right when I entered that slump, it's just demotivating to keep screwing up on easy stuff. I blame switching tablet area since I changed from a laptop to desktop. And I've had enough experiences trying to find the button piece to my pen after throwing it, so I'd rather not break anything else tyvm :P

Looks like I'll be taking a break from Osu until I get a new mouse pad. Had this one for more than a year and it's gotten to the point to where I have to water it down pretty frequently to get my mouse to move properly.

Get ready, next session we are doing this :

fr6PBvC.png

Once I have my mouse pad thing situated, I'd like to join in on some multi's with you guys too. I'm still at 481pp, but I'm sure I'd still benefit from the practice. :D

I checked the PP algorithm out of curiosity.

And man ... I don't like that system.

(Aim^(1/X)+Speed^(1/X)+Accuracy^(1/X))^(1/X)

Bullcrap

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points

A summary :

Increasing your rank

• Play efficiently and master your play style.
  • Work on getting some really good scores, not thousands of "okay" scores. FARM
  • Get higher accuracy (even 1% difference can help light-years!). FARM
  • Get higher combo. Go for Full Combo/Perfect or "SS/SSH". FARM
  • Play well on harder difficulties.

And I thought the PP update was to prevent that ... I'm so gullible

I don't think the update was meant to get rid of farming entirely, but to remove ranking through just farming. Farming for scores alone is one thing, but I think the intent of the update was to focus on farming a song with improvement in mind. Considering the game's ranking system and structure, I think the current system is not bad at all. It wouldn't take all that much effort to just complete a song, even if you are upping the difficulty. I'm not even skilled enough to FC most hards, but I can complete them with very little effort, and doing a large number of hards could put me on par with another who performs well on individual maps. I have a pretty solid DL speed and a lot of space on my HD to store songs and could easily up PP if they were using the old system. All I'd have to do is DL a beatmap pack, finish every song that was in it, and move on to the next one.

I checked the PP algorithm out of curiosity.

And man ... I don't like that system.

(Aim^(1/X)+Speed^(1/X)+Accuracy^(1/X))^(1/X)

Bullcrap

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points

A summary :

And I thought the PP update was to prevent that ... I'm so gullible

I can't farm too much. If I do I start to lose PP or ranks. So I stick to FC-ing insanes now

I can't farm too much. If I do I start to lose PP or ranks. So I stick to FC-ing insanes now

You only lose PP if you beat one of your scores with a lower % than your old score. And just a warning, adding a score mod isn't always a good thing. I've lost 5PP on a song for getting 2 less % with Hidden than without :(

I don't think the PP algorythm is flawed.

Getting a lot of Performance Points would imply you have a good performance.

Getting thousands of Okay scores with mods on super hard songs means you might have skill but you still performed the song poorly (tons of misses and whatnot) and that's what counts for performance.

Certainly it's frustrating because it shows you have skill and that's not reflected in your ranking but the algorythm itself is not flawed in my opinion.

Let me try to make a comparison.  Sorry if I fail.

Imagine this guitarist that can completely nail a really complex song.

Then he tries to do the same song but with a blindfold on and misses a bunch of notes despite finishing the song.

Would you still consider the latter a good performance? I wouldn't

You only lose PP if you beat one of your scores with a lower %. And just a warning, adding a score mod isn't always a good thing. I've lost 5PP on a song for getting 2 less % with Hidden than without :(

That explains things. I always thought that as long as you could FC with a mod, the % wouldn't matter and you'd still gain pp, but I suppose that's only true on certain maps/mods. I did recover the lost points after a bit, but I thought it might have been some kind of bug with the way the client displayed my scores. But I suppose it makes sense now that you bring it to mind.

I don't think the PP algorythm is flawed.

Getting a lot of Performance Points would imply you have a good performance.

Getting thousands of Okay scores with mods on super hard songs means you might have skill but you still performed the song poorly (tons of misses and whatnot) and that's what counts for performance.

Certainly it's frustrating because it shows you have skill and that's not reflected in your ranking but the algorythm itself is not flawed in my opinion.

Yeah, it actually works out for me as well. I guess I'm severely lacking in the skill department. Whenever I come across a song I don't know in multi (and it's not too far below my skill level) I tend to miss high combos and generally low scores. But I can hit them pretty easily once I've gotten the hang of it. I don't mind playing the same song to some degree either. I'll usually put it off after 5 attempts or so, but I can play the same song for an hour if I really want to achieve something with it. That's how I was able to HD Kyouki Chinden on Hard. I loved playing that map so much and I really wanted to get the most performance I could from it. Achieving an FC with that mod felt really satisfying as well (one day, I'll come back and do an HR + HD for it).

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Happened to me on this map. I went from 2 100s to 7 100s and lost like 5 pp on it. Kinda made me sad because I couldn't seem to get a higher % even though I consider myself to be exceptionally good at Hidden for my skill level. My rank might actually be a bit inflated because I have so many HD scores boosting my PP a little.

Also, what do you guys think of the latest update? I think it's made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. I'm a very structured person and I've always used the difficulty tab to sort through maps that I can use to improve on. It's really nice not having to guess how hard a song is based on the difficulty setting and stars. Not the sections are actually organized to where you can group up the maps of similar difficulty. It was so easy for me to get good enough for 5-star songs because there were only a few 4-stars that were exceedingly harder than the others in that grouping. But once you hit the 5-star section, you can have one song that's only 1/4 as difficult as another in the same group, and there were even a good number of insanes that could be easier than some hards. I definitely approve of the 10-star structure! It's a lot more flexible and removes a lot of ambiguity with beatmap difficulty. Not only that, but I can also plan out my practice sessions more effectively.

And my new practice structure is going smoothly. I never thought I'd be able to FC this map so soon (some parts are ridiculously tricky). Actually got a damn good percentage on this, too.

PvHrZkl.png

Yeah the start thing is supringly well done. I guess my limit is 6 stars.

I can play most of the 5 stars consistently, but above it gets kinda tricky.

Gotta get those 6 stars mwhaha

Also : FUCK YEAH ! and of course that isn't worth shit :3

Hv8ih87.png

I take it from the list of "saved screenshots" how pumped you were to pass that :P

Wait, there's more star difficulties now? I gotta check into this.

Guess it doesn't work too well, Big Black is only 6.5* According to the game, the "hardest" song I passed was this

9nOVv.jpg

Fucking love Chata. <3 Also, this is a nice map. 1st time doing rotating sliders too. It was really fun. :D

sKA5jD9.png

I'll likely be able to FC this map once I get my new mouse pad. Still hard as heck to move my mouse around with my current one, but I'm putting up with it for now.

Also overcame this obstacle I've had with hitting fast streams and triple notes. I've been using 1 key up until now since I could never get use to pressing 2. But that, unfortunately, has some hard restrictions. I thought I could up my speed a little and eventually adjust to it, but those beats are just too fast for one keystroke! I still can't get the hang of using two keys either, it just feels weird to me, but I've decided to start using key+click for those particular notes. So instead of just tapping 1 really fast, I hit 1+click+1 for the triple notes and streams. Probably a weird way to play, right? :P This is what I imagine dual wielding would feel like in Osu, lol!