Fuwanovel's Battle of the Guilds!

OriginalRen

Battle of the Guilds - Preview #5

Before reading on, be sure to check the 4th preview posted on the previous page.

Locations:

F1GN7XR.png

Here are some examples of locations you may encounter in your quest to control Fuwanovel:

oQH4bJp.png

Location cards represent important and mystical places on Fuwanovel. A guild that controls one of these sites can use its influence and power to great effect.

When a location card is played from a team's hand, it takes effect immediately. The team executes the ability written on the location card. The location card is then discarded.

The power values on a location card have no effect when it is played from a team's hand. These values are only used when it is a stake card. A location card cannot be assigned to a district like an agent card can.

I understood pretty much all up till now true I still have a few questions.

- In beginning you said that each match will have 4 players but then you said that all players from same guild play together each match, so I didn't quite get that. is each match played by all people from 4 guilds or will there be multiple matches so that in each match 1 person from a guild plays that match as a representative of that guild witch changes for every match? Personally I think that a later option is a lot more fun.

- Why do all locations have only moe power? Or is it just coincidence and you have yet to make location cards with other powers (Friendship and cuteness)? 

- When will we start choosing characters for cards  and when do you plan for a game to begin?

- (additional questions for a first question) If it's a latter option is a correct one then how will we choose characters for cards? will we vote and every person from a guild will have a same characters/cards or will each person choose a characters for his cards and have a different ones? (I already asked you this but you misunderstood my question).

- (additional questions for a first question) If it's a latter option is a correct one will there be some kind of "global ranking" like guild of lolis scored #1 that many times #2 that many times.... or will each match be completely for it self?

- How muny matches do you plan there to be?

- after you played a card after 4 turn ends will cards you played go back to your hand or will there go to your pile deck (once that don't stay on the fild)? If they go to your pile deck then what happens with cards that stay in your hand after each 4 turn?

This looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Battle of the Guilds - Team/Match Announcement

The Teams -

Hey everyone!

I know a lot of you have been curious on the team's for the BOGs competition, and after putting a lot of thought into how everything will play out for the past hour or so, I think I have found a system that will allow everyone to participate and enjoy the game to the fullest. With that being said, let's jump right in.

Before reading on, be sure to check out all the previous previews for the game in case you missed any.

Here are the teams for the Battle of the Guilds!

Edit: Please note that there have been some changes to the teams in order to balance the game. If you have any issues with this new balance, please let me know.

Representing the Chibis...

Team #1:

CLuBLioN

Nosebleed

(Deck Complete)

Team #2:

Tiagofvarela

cloudy12

FinalChaos

(Deck Complete)

Representing the Kuuderes...

Team #1:

SilverLi

Life

(Deck Complete)

Team #2:

Stray Cat

Zakamutt

babiker

(Deck Complete)

Representing the Lolis...

Team #1:

Satsuki

SieghartXx

Okami

(Deck Complete)

Team #2:

Mr. Meogii

Flutterz

Kenshin_sama

(Deck Complete)

Representing the Senpais...

Team #1:

Ezeefreak

Funyarinpa

crunchytaco

(Deck Complete)

Team #2:

hsmsful

arakura

krill

(Deck Complete)

Representing the Traps...

Team #1:

Grieviious

GetterEmperor

(Deck Complete)

Team #2:

nohman

(Deck Complete)

And finally, representing the Tsunderes...

Team #1:

Abdomen

Ivan A.

Zenophilious

(Deck Complete)

Team #2:

Eclipsed

Kurisu-Chan

Ceris

(Deck Complete)

For starters, I suggest PMing your teammates so you can get to know one another. I will be posting TeamSpeak channels for all of you in the coming days when the game is finished being setup, so keep an eye out for that in case that was an option you wanted to use for communicative purposes.

In addition, you are now able to (as a team) select 11 starting cards you want to be apart of your starting deck! These cards must consist of the following:

• 9 agent cards
  • 1 location card (your headquarters)
  • 1 relic card

Simply PM me the desired cards. Include a link to an image you would like to use (have it be at least 720 pixels in height if possible), as well as names of each character and the names of your location and relic. If you are unsure as to what each card should be like, take a look at some of the previous cards in previews for examples. Please note that you do not need to send me the stats for each card, as I will be creating those for each team's starting deck.

Teams were selected randomly based on what you signed up for. For those of you who don't know the people you are paired with, this is an excellent opportunity to meet someone new on the forums! Good luck to everyone, and I wish you all the best.

The Matches -

After plenty of thought and a few changes here and there, this is the final format for the match system used in the Battle of the Guilds. There will be a total of 3 matches in the competition. I will select who you will be facing off against for the 1st round (at random) before the actual game begins. The format for each match is as follows:

Match #1: This match will be a 2 team game where opponents will be selected at random before we begin. Losing this match does not eliminate you from the competition, however victory point totals count towards your guild's final score, whether you win your match or not

Match #2: This match will be a 3 team game. If your team won their 1st match, they will be moved into a winner's bracket where they will face off against other winning teams. If your team lost their 1st match, they will be moved into a separate bracket. As with the previous match, victory point totals still count towards your guild's final score, whether you win or not. If you didn't get a lot of points in the 1st match, this 2nd one is a chance to redeem yourself!

Match #3: This match will be a 4 team game. The winning teams of the winner's and loser's brackets will face off in one final match, while the losing teams of each bracket will also play a 4 team game against one another. This means that 3 matches will be played at the same time, each one with 4 total teams. Again, victory point totals count towards you guild's final score, and since this is the final match to obtain them, make it count!

After adding up the scores from all matches for every team in the competition, the guild with the most victory points will be awarded the crown on Fuwanovel, and as such, be the new ruler of the website!

If you have any questions about the matches, please don't hesitate to ask, otherwise please check out the images posted below for the format of each board during each match in case you are confused.

An example of a 2 team game:

PqYDbCJ.png

An example of a 3 team game:

kfGYyMQ.png

An example of a 4 team game:

9RyPqKN.png

Currently, I am working on grinding more cards for the competition, so the 1st match will probably start by the end of the week. I will make sure to announce when this time is coming close, so in the meantime, keep an eye out for more previews and keep following the thread. Best of luck everyone!

It's not like I'm totally hyped for this or anything, but y'all are going down!

@Flutterz a "bye" is tournament mechanic where if there are an odd number of competitors at any stage of a single-elimination tournament, one player is excused from play and continues on if he had defeated his (nonexistent) opponent.

Edited by Eclipsed

Points halved for the Tsundere Guild?

Sounds a bit unfair. Can't it be 60 or 70% of our points count?

A disadvantage is a disadvantage. But we have the superiority in numbers. Let's show everyone not to mess with the Tsundere Guild!!!

Yes, I'm super hyped about this!!! It can be helped, I'm competitive. It got worse since I started speedrunning in Sonic Generations. Like I care about your opinions on me. I swear upon the Name and Flag of the Guild of Tsunderes(Mondaiji-tachi reference), that I will fight with everything I got and by whatever mean necessary to win. 

I understood pretty much all up till now true I still have a few questions.

- In beginning you said that each match will have 4 players but then you said that all players from same guild play together each match, so I didn't quite get that. is each match played by all people from 4 guilds or will there be multiple matches so that in each match 1 person from a guild plays that match as a representative of that guild witch changes for every match? Personally I think that a later option is a lot more fun.

- Why do all locations have only moe power? Or is it just coincidence and you have yet to make location cards with other powers (Friendship and cuteness)? 

- When will we start choosing characters for cards  and when do you plan for a game to begin?

- (additional questions for a first question) If it's a latter option is a correct one then how will we choose characters for cards? will we vote and every person from a guild will have a same characters/cards or will each person choose a characters for his cards and have a different ones? (I already asked you this but you misunderstood my question).

- (additional questions for a first question) If it's a latter option is a correct one will there be some kind of "global ranking" like guild of lolis scored #1 that many times #2 that many times.... or will each match be completely for it self?

- How muny matches do you plan there to be?

- after you played a card after 4 turn ends will cards you played go back to your hand or will there go to your pile deck (once that don't stay on the fild)? If they go to your pile deck then what happens with cards that stay in your hand after each 4 turn?

This looks like it will be a lot of fun.

1, 3, 4, 5. All of these questions are answered in the post regarding team and match setups.

2. It is mere coincidence, and I have yet to make cards for the other values.

6. After you have played a round (essentially meaning all 4 of your cards have been played), you draw 4 new cards from your deck to start the new round. All cards you used or obtained during the previous round get shuffled off to your discard pile. It is not until you use up all your cards in your hand that you are allowed to reshuffle your deck, however some location cards allow you to cheat this and shuffle your deck earlier as a special ability.

What's a "bye"?

Also I'm really tired right now so I can't quite put my finger on why, but it seems to me that halving the points for tsunderes puts them at a disadvantage. I might just be overthinking things though.

Points halved for the Tsundere Guild?

Sounds a bit unfair. Can't it be 60 or 70% of our points count?

A disadvantage is a disadvantage. But we have the superiority in numbers. Let's show everyone not to mess with the Tsundere Guild!!!

Yes, I'm super hyped about this!!! It can be helped, I'm competitive. It got worse since I started speedrunning in Sonic Generations. Like I care about your opinions on me. I swear upon the Name and Flag of the Guild of Tsunderes(Mondaiji-tachi reference), that I will fight with everything I got and by whatever mean necessary to win. 

As Eclipsed stated in his edited post, a "bye" is a tournament mechanic where an odd number of competitors are used. As a sort of reward for doing well, one team is excused from play and continues on during a round of the competition as if they if they had defeated their (nonexistent) opponent.

Also to clarify, the halving of points for the Guild of Tsunderes has nothing to do with individual matches; points are still awarded in full. The change in points only applies to the end of the competition when a guild winner has been announced.

For example:

Let's say Team #1 from the Guild of Chibis loses their 1st match, earning them a total of 27 points. Even though they lost, that 27 point total still counts toward their end score for the guild as a whole. Whatever the other Chibi team scores during the competition, whether they lose or win, also counts toward that final total. Since each guild has a total of 2 teams, and the Guild of Tsunderes has a total of 4, adding up the point totals for the Tsunderes would give them a huge advantage when determining the guild winner. As such, I am halving their points to make it fair, essentially meaning that their 4 teams are only earning half of their points for that final total.

Again, this does not affect individual matches.

I'll definitely crunch some numbers tomorrow. What are the scores usually like at the end of a match with 2 and with 3 players?

That depends on how you play the game and how you decide to earn cards. There is no average, because some people try to control locations for a large amount of points, while other people go for smaller amounts to screw over their opponents with easier cards. It depends how you play the game.

That depends on how you play the game and how you decide to earn cards. There is no average, because some people try to control locations for a large amount of points, while other people go for smaller amounts to screw over their opponents with easier cards. It depends how you play the game.

Sure, but no matter how you play you aren't going to get 50000 points, and I'm guessing you've played the game this is based on so you should have an idea of the kinds of scores that happen. I don't need anything super specific, even something like the highest score that can happen would probably more or less suffice.

Sure, but no matter how you play you aren't going to get 50000 points, and I'm guessing you've played the game this is based on so you should have an idea of the kinds of scores that happen. I don't need anything super specific, even something like the highest score that can happen would probably more or less suffice.

I have changed it. The top 2 scores for the Tsunderes will count toward their final total, while the other 2 scores will be dropped. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't do that initially. Sorry. Please keep in mind that there are some balance rules I haven't tested yet while playing my solo games.

Battle of the Guilds - Preview #6

Another preview. The opening post in this thread has links to all of the previews so far, as well as links to the rules and game round example video. Remember that all future updates and previews will be posted there before the game begins, so check back there often in case you miss a post.

Relics:

NRLUAh4.png

Here are some examples of relics you may encounter in your quest to control Fuwanovel:

aoK4KZS.jpg

Relic cards represent valuable artifacts hidden on Fuwanovel. These precious items can often sway an important individual to join a guild's cause.

A relic card can be used to bribe a freelance agent. A relic can only be played on a team's agent who is already assigned to the same district as an agent stake card. If an agent is facedown, it is then turned faceup. The financial value of the relic is added to the agent's power value that matches the main power value of the stake card (the numbered displayed in the golden circle):

• If the total is higher than or equal to the freelance agent card's financial value, the stake card is immediately won. The relic and all other cards assigned to that district are placed in the discard pile, and a new stake card is turned faceup in that district
  • If the total is less than the freelance agent card's financial value, nothing happens. The relic and all cards assigned to that district remain there and can be combined with another relic or agent on a future turn to bribe a freelance agent card

Special Cases:

• It is not possible to bribe a relic or a location card
  • It is possible to use a relic with multiple agents at the same district. The total value of the bribe is calculated by adding together the agents' matching power values and the relic's financial value
  • If the financial value on a freelance agent card shows a "-" sign, that freelance agent cannot be bribed

Choosing the top two teams of tsunseres for points actually gives them a slight advantage. It'd be more balancedbalance if Ren choose the middle two, but that'd be no challenge for us! (The smack talk comes out, hehe)

It's like if you had fifty teams, then choosing the top two would almost surely lead to your victory. Except you have four and we have two

I have changed it. The top 2 scores for the Tsunderes will count toward their final total, while the other 2 scores will be dropped. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't do that initially. Sorry. Please keep in mind that there are some balance rules I haven't tested yet while playing my solo games.

If anything, this is more obviously unbalanced. If any other team has a game where they get no points they're essentially screwed, but Tsunderes would just get that score dropped.

Also do the scores from every match count? So the team that gets the bye during the first round will only have 2 games' worth of points while the other two teams that get to the final would have 3 games' worth of points?

That's why I'm offering to do the math, because you won't figure out if stuff like this is balanced without running some tests, but you seem to be adamantly opposed to it for whatever reason.

Say, if I were to ask for the most similar game to what Ren is creating, what would it be? I can only think of solitaire...

http://www.alderac.com/arcana-rules.pdf

For those of you complaining about balance issues, please understand that the added totals will only count toward the best scores you earn. If for example the Chibi guild wins all 3 rounds with 27, 34, and 36 points respectively, they don't get all of those points added to their final score. Only the highest score is added, making 36 their point total.

If you don't get a lot of points, well, don't suck and lose the 1st round of the game, it's that simple. Instead of worrying about a point total issue, start getting to know your teammates and work on forming a deck of cards with them.

About that deck of cards Ren... How exactly do we form it? Are you gonna give is options, do we just decide numbers or names or characters or what exactly?

Read the Team/Match announcement(go up)

My question is characters from where, Manga, Anime, VN?Just One? All of them? Females Only?

Read the Team/Match announcement(go up)

My question is characters from where, Manga, Anime, VN?Just One? All of them? Females Only?

Your team's agents can be any character you would like them to be. Try to stick to your team's theme if possible though; it would be odd to choose a loli for the senpai guild (unless of course the loli is a senpai).

During the first round, can two teams from the same guild end up against each other?

For the 1st round, no, however it may be possible that the team matchups are the same. For example, the Guild of Chibis may face the Guild of Senpais in both matchups, however the Chibis will never face the Chibis, and so on and so forth.