What are you listening to right now?

Snowtsuku

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've ranted in this thread, right? I'm still listening to Japanese music incessantly and have two new obsessions. First, in the category of old Japanese pop, it's Miki Matsubara: unique vocals and some absolutely wonderful songs with strong jazz vibe to them. Sadly, she's another proof to the rule that Japanese popstars either live to their 90s or die of cancer way too early. This is actually one of the most depressing ones, as she seemed like a really great artist and not just a product of the idol industry. But well, at least there's all that awesome music to listen to...

On the brighter note, I also fell in love with Leo Ieiri's songs, which kind of weirds me out. She's a very by-the-numbers, maybe even generic pop-rock singer, which should normally bore me to no end. But there's just... Something in her music. She even reminds me of a polish pop singer Kasia Kowalska in that her style is extremely unremarkable at first glance, but the songs somehow stick with you nonetheless. Only that Leo's songs are better and so is her singing. Listening through her Spotify catalogue I actually had a problem finding one that wasn't catchy and pleasant to listen to. Few of them really stand out, but the general quality of her music is still kind of awesome. It temporarily dethroned Mako Ichino as my go-to relaxation playlist. :)

16 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Only that Leo's songs are better and so is her singing. Listening through her Spotify catalogue I actually had a problem finding one that wasn't catchy and pleasant to listen to. Few of them really stand out, but the general quality of her music is still kind of awesome.

Yeah, pretty nice. (and I can't stand Kasia Kowalska, or most of other our 90's-and-later singers, except early Varius Manx :P).

As for my personal list, Anri Kumaki still rules unrivaled when it comes to japanese pop. I think she actually became my favorite pop singer ever, not limited to Japan. There's new album coming out on 30th October - I can't wait! :D

Edited by adamstan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking a little bit lately on what I actually find appealing in music above anything else and my conclusion was that its genuine emotion. What really puts me off in idol music and a lot of mainstream pop is that it's completely sterile and industrially-produced. It might be really well-crafted at times, but it's pure plastic – which might sound awfully snobbish/hipster coming from me, but while I might like that kind of music too, I can only truly respect stuff that has some heart in it. This is why I get fascinated by all those singer-songwriter types a lot more even if their output has some major flaws. Majiko is an interesting example, because she's simply not a great singer – I mean, she sings very competently, but has a weak voice and often compensates by shouting excessively, with her voice simply dying out on the middle of it... But damn she shouts her heart out on many of those songs and live performances and it's just... Genuine. And that is IMO really, really hard to fake.

(She doesn't only shout BTW)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Just now, Plk_Lesiak said:

This is why I get fascinated by all those singer-songwriter types a lot more even if their output has some major flaws.

I'm like that with Ai Kawashima. She is by no means a great singer (on early records and concerts she is often out of tune), but for some reasons I get really emotionally moved by many of her songs.

But she has not only sad ballads ;) Her more uplifting songs also feel genuine to me, and manage to bring smile upon my face.

So, this is like the weirdest thing I've heard in a while. The solo piano performance is so antithetical to this fast, upbeat song, that my mind can't process it properly. Ai Otsuka is genuinely talented though and while I don't really feel much about most of her songs, I just can't get this one from my head. The normal version, that is...

And as a bonus, a Daoko song that I also can't stop playing in my head:

• 5 weeks later...

I also had my phase for Initial D soundtrack about 12 years ago :) . It's totally over the top, but has its charm. Being somewhat of italo-disco fan, sometimes I return to it.

It is interesting, because in essence it is just sped-up italo disco made for Japanese market. And in case of many of Initial D songs, they are made by actual italo disco producers and singers.

I already mentioned KOTO in "confessions" thread, but since we're at Eurobeat now, she deserves a mention here too:

For ultimate cheese, sounding like straight from the eighties, check out girl going by stagename KOTO (not to be confused with Dutch spacesynth band ;)):

I love how they nailed perfectly every aspect of '80s aesthetics (including both beatuiful synth sounds and horrible visuals :P)

This production is absolutely amazing, because it sounds like straight from the late eighties - really, they nailed the sound down to a t.

Edited by adamstan

25 minutes ago, adamstan said:

It is interesting, because in essence it is just sped-up italo disco made for Japanese market. And in case of many of Initial D songs, they are made by actual italo disco producers and singers.

Right, it's pretty easy to feel that connection. But the insane beats and the bizarre Japanese/English/Italian mix in many of these songs... It ends up feeling pretty unique too.

And those awesome stage names like MEGA NRG MAN (all caps). :wahaha:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I already mentioned KOTO in "confessions" thread, but since we're at Eurobeat now, she deserves a mention here too:

Right, now I fully feel what you meant back then, having a direct comparison with Eurobeat. ^^ BTW, do you think this girls is more popular in Japan? Her stuff seems decently-produced, but her YouTube and Spotify presence is at the levels of my gf's middle school friend who suddenly started making electronic music and putting it on the internet for shits and giggles. ;p

In other news, holy crap, 90's... :mare:

Edit: And holy crap, what is this insanity? They're actually performing! :marie:

36 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

BTW, do you think this girls is more popular in Japan? Her stuff seems decently-produced, but her YouTube and Spotify presence is at the levels of my gf's middle school friend who suddenly started making electronic music and putting it on the internet for shits and giggles. ;p

Honestly, I have no idea. It's officially produced, I bought the CD at cdjapan, but it might very well be just another weird niche. I don't even remember how I found out about her - probably turned up in my Youtube recommendations, after I listened to some 80s stuff.

I often wonder the same thing when listening to all those female singers-songwriters I mentioned before.

Edited by adamstan

There's no full version of this anywhere outside of Spotify and embedding songs from there is broken lately, so I guess this will have to do. Another Spitz song a cover of which charmed me lately. I can't really get into the originals, in decent part because of the vocalist, but there's this very positive, gentle vibe in their music that I enjoy. Sakura Fujiwara's version really brought out all the positive qualities of this particular song (I kind of like her in general, although most of her songs are quite forgettable).