What are you listening to right now?

Snowtsuku

6 hours ago, adamstan said:

Indeed :) It sounds very good with this natural-sounding singing. What was with the album version - did they overuse the vocal processing? (extreme tuning etc?)

Yup, maybe not to the extreme, but it still ends up sounding sped up and artificial. The composer behind it used to make vocaloids songs and, bafflingly enough, makes a singer she now works with sound a bit like a vocaloid too with all those effects. Kind of defeats the purpose of that whole transition IMO, particularly when working with someone this talented. :P

Yesterday, as I went to sleep, I listened to Maiko Fujita. There's something in her songs that tugs on my heartstrings even though on the surface they're pretty typical Jpop ballads. Don't know what it is exactly. (Or perhaps I'm just captivated by her beauty? But then, I was only listening, not looking ;)) The first song on the disc was 藤田麻衣子君が呼ぶのなら, which is also featured in this live clip:

Now I think I have to get some of her live discs as well :D

Edited by adamstan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I like the third one the best. Pumping dynamics compression on the first one kills my ears. Coupled with vocal processing makes it sound a bit too "modern US" for my taste. However that third one is pretty good. The second one has a bit similar mood, but I like those synth sounds on the third one more.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I think I like the third one the best. Pumping dynamics compression on the first one kills my ears. Coupled with vocal processing makes it sound a bit too "modern US" for my taste. However that third one is pretty good. The second one has a bit similar mood, but I like those synth sounds on the third one more.

I actually like the second one the best, I think the vocals just sell it to me that much. ^^ It's very westernized music for sure, but I find myself listening to this kind of stuff a lot lately... Just for the chill factor. Kiki Vivi Lily being another thing on repeat for the past two weeks...

20 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I actually like the second one the best, I think the vocals just sell it to me that much. ^^ It's very westernized music for sure, but I find myself listening to this kind of stuff a lot lately... Just for the chill factor. Kiki Vivi Lily being another thing on repeat for the past two weeks...

Nice :)

I recently heard "Ito" by Miyuki Nakajima - pretty sweet love ballad from 1992.

It has been covered by many artists. Since it moved me too, I decided to record my organ cover as well ;) Here it is:

Edited by adamstan

• 2 weeks later...

New entry in my collection of ambivalent j-pop/anison fascinations, GARNiDELiA's music is kind of trashy... Or maybe very trashy even, but it's catchy and the vocalist... She's not just a good singer, but also has tons of charisma and seems to be the person behind the band's visual style, which is pure kitsch, but also elaborate and polished to the point where I can't help but appreciate it. Also their life performances are just SO TIGHT. ^^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me spamming with my recordings (but actually that's what I'm really listening to right now - after I record something, I tend to listen to it a lot in the following days ;) )

Anyway, I just uploaded my cover version of 誕生日 (Tanjoubi - Birthday) by one of my favorite singer-songwriters, Anri Kumaki, to celebrate birthday of another singer-songwriter - Yoko Matsuura I mentioned a few posts before :) I think it turned out quite nicely ;)