What are you listening to right now?

Snowtsuku

• 3 weeks later...

I know this show's humour is not to everyone's taste (I personally find it great), but there are just so many cool touches and examples of the team behind it going above and beyond, I find it extremely impressive. Hiring a former "King of Love Songs" to sing their OP is just one of those brilliant moves and the song itself is really cool IMO - so unlike your typical anime music. ^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've been following the Eurovision Music Contest (for our American friends, it's basically a cringy European holiday of kitsch pop music and baseless national pride) for like 20 years now, and I've seen many grand things in it. However, few, if any, were as grand as this... :meguface:

I still don't get how there are people who don't love the ESC. The mixture of trash, kitsch, camp, weirdness, lots of (not very subtle) gay overtones and patriotism really is something to behold. I'm a little bit sad that power ballads including weird costumes and extensive use of wind machines seem to be going out of fashion, but seeing that even Croatia's erupting volcanoes and golden angel wings aren't enough to reach the final, it's not that surprising.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys allow me for another pointless rant, I've recently "discovered" Spotify and started exploring various old music, which I both really like and can rarely be bothered to actively look for (I also listen to so many podcasts etc. that I don't listen to music much lately) and stumbled upon songs by Annette Hanshaw, one of the biggest stars of late 20s - early 30s. Brilliantly catchy stuff and I felt there was this kind of genuine joy and personality in her singing. The kind of stuff that always makes me think "this is a person that loves what they're doing".

Then I read that she absolutely hated singing professionally (and show business in general), despised most of her records (though they all suck) and ended her career as soon as she got married. Said in an interview that she only did it for money and were ashamed of that for a long time. I don't understand anything about this world anymore. :notlikemiya: :vinty:

• 2 weeks later...

So, continuing with random musings, I've posted about Eurovision before with Iceland's song (which still is absolutely awesome). Usually, the contest is 60% forgettable (this years winning song, Netherlands, is definitely in this category, basically a mediocre, bootleg Coldplay song), 35% gloriously bizarre (the audience's winner, Norway, would place here) and 5% genuinely brilliant. And in that last category, outside of Iceland, is the guy that I think was the only one really deserving to win the whole thing. At least there's some justice in this world, as this song exploded all over Europe, and I'm pretty sure few people even remember about the "winner" month later. :>

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, I'm a horribly lazy person, so my search of Japanese city pop kind of ended in a lazy place - covers. These two albums by Yu-ri Tanaka are kind of everything I was looking for in a second-hand version. The singer herself is... Good, but I don't think much more than that. However, the longer I'm listening to these songs, the fonder of them and her interpretations I get. Really good background music for working. :3

She's also the lead singer of some obscure band. I honestly have to yet check out most of their stuff, but the general vibe is a bit similar:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I just found my new favourite name of a Japanese girls group: Tacoyaki Rainbow. Like, why...?

Couldn't listen to much of it though, it's like really bad anime music without any context that would it bearable. In the topic of extremely cutesy things, this one is the ED theme of Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches and I kind of love it. I wonder if it's actually good or it's just the association with the show working... :3

Edited by Plk_Lesiak