Your first VN experience

Wolfscythe

My first VN experience depends on whether you consider Monster Girl Quest to be a shallow but funny visual novel with RPG elements or the world's most linear JRPG with a surprisingly well told story.  It could certainly be described as an "experience" either way.  If you can overlook the sex - and if you can't there isn't enough brain bleach in the world to erase the memories - then it's pretty enjoyable as a short little story with JRPG style battles that actually require strategic use of all your abilities(thanks to the utter lack of random battles to level up on).

My first visual novel that I knew was a visual novel going into it was Katawa Shoujo.  I played without a guide until the only one I had left was Rin.  Overall, I really liked it, with probably Hanako and Emi being my favorite routes overall and Shizune being my least favorite.  

No way... Glad i'm not the only one whose first visual novel was Monster Girl Quest. ( i guess you can count it as a visual novel..)

I liked the idea of having a relationship with a monster girl, goddesses, Elves, etc... It was more like my fantasy. i was always fascinated with Greek mythology and their romance between gods and humans. The reason why i was so into Greek mythology was because of the God of War Series. But it wasn't enough for me so i tried to look out for movies related to Greek mythology or anything related to fantasy romance. i came across some of them. still, it wasn't enough because they didn't reach my needs. I needed more, to satisfy myself. So i tried to read books instead. I found a site while searching in Google named Goodreads, searched and read some book's description but couldn't find any great ones. The reason was because most romance books were mostly towards women only. i understood that as there weren't a lot of males that were into romance. So my last resort was Animation and mangas. But still couldn't find some great ones. Though, i did hear a lot of reference regarding "visual novels" adapted as anime and "eroge games" from a bunch of forums and thread. So i said "what the heck, why not give it a try?" i searched Monster girl VN's and came across RogueTranslation. Thanks to Rogue. i finally came across MGQ :D

MGQ series was my salvation :)  Halfway through, i totally forgot about the reason why i started playing MGQ and started reading more VNs and this was only 7 months ago. i'm glad i was born  B)

couldnt start with a better one than Hoshizora no Memoria, wonder if ill find something thats even more to my liking

but that one is rlly a 10 out of 10

I loved Hoshi, but this was one of those games that the moment I finished the 1st route, I felt lost. The story should have lasted longer? I don't know, but I felt there was something missing, and I don't mean that in a way which says "this game didn't answer my questions," but rather "man, I feel they left the ending of the common route with many open ended questions."

I guess I would have felt better had they gave me closure to the main story without having to go as far as delving into the routes themselves, but don't get me wrong, the game is still fantastic.

I loved Hoshi, but this was one of those games that the moment I finished the 1st route, I felt lost. The story should have lasted longer? I don't know, but I felt there was something missing, and I don't mean that in a way which says "this game didn't answer my questions," but rather "man, I feel they left the ending of the common route with many open ended questions."

I guess I would have felt better had they gave me closure to the main story without having to go as far as delving into the routes themselves, but don't get me wrong, the game is still fantastic.

well, cant hav anything, right?

i guess it would feel better if things started to progress sooner and hav longer endings

My first VN was hoshizora no memoria, which simply was the one that sounded most interesting in vndb. At first i had some doubts if i would actually read it through (and if it was worth all the hours of downloading and installing), but i was already amazed by the prolog and learned how great it is to have such a deepness, different from most animes. Afterwards i'm happy that i choosed it as the first vn because if it would have been something like rewrite (currently reading) i would have probably just skipped it because of the much less likeable protag.

(First post yayyy~)

My first VN was Fate/Stay night, but I dropped it as at that time I wasn't into games where you only had to read (I was a brat). Later on, I found Katawa Shoujo (YEAH) and Koihime Musou (I've been mixing them up lately, but I'm pretty sure I played Katawa first) and got hooked instantly. When I played a voiced one I was so delighted I couldn't stop getting all the visual novels I could, and after a long journey, here I am.

My first VN was also Fate/Stay Night, because I really liked the anime and heard it got even better. I coincidentally found a youtube stream for the VN, so I read it that way (I've actually read quite a few VNs through youtube). I enjoyed it a lot, so I kept up with Visual Novels, especially because the concept itself was so interesting to me. Although I first learnt of their existence through Shuffle! a year or so earlier, its anime and the comments on the anime videos about a game's existence. But it wasn't in english at that point and I've lost all desire to read it now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first Vn I read was Never 7. But at that time I did not know it was a visual novel so to be fair my first Vn is another by the same author 999

(Uchikoshi is awesome xD). After reading 999 I started looking for other visual novels to read.

My first VN was A Profile, at first i thought it would be a typical highschool story but it got interesting once the darker themes started showing, i also liked how each route forced the main character to grow and mature in some sort of way and that both his past and present differ from your normal everyday protagonist.

Technically my first "vn" was the phoenix wright series, but what really got me into the medium was 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors. Everything about that game just blew me away and I needed something even remotely similar to it and that lead to Ever 17 and that led to everything else

Little Busters was my very first VN. At first, I picked it up just for Refrain because everyone seems to be so hyped about it. Didn't thought that I would enjoy the regular routes since I've already watched the anime, but I ended up enjoying it immensely. The experience from reading the VN is so different from watching the anime. When watching the anime I only felt like an observer, whereas reading the VN, it felt as though I'm the main character and I was immediately drawn into their world.

• 3 weeks later...

Suprisingly my first VN was Fate/Stay Night.

Quite a nice story to it with a sad but happy ending, did end up playing Fate/Stay Extra on my PSP after 1 week though, the game is quite repetative in the story though (too many circles and finding out where the f they are).

After that VN I found out about Monster Hunter Quest and Saya no Uta. *shivers* I wonder why I didn't have nightmares after Saya no Uta. 

my first one would be Da Capo and its sequel,it was like 2-3 years ago and i was so annoyed by the anime endings i looked up and found out about the vn and played it to sate some of my frustrations xD

truth be told it wasnt before 2013 that i read my next VN wasnt really into it (2nd one was G-senjou)