Your first VN experience

Wolfscythe

Not sure if there's a topic about this or if this is the right place to put it (my stomach says yes) but here I go.

I've been hearing "Katawa Shoujo was my first VN" a lot these days, so that made me do this topic, simply post things like: Which was your first VN?, what you thought about it?, how you got into VN's?, and many more stuff like that, simply put, how was your first experience and how you got into it.

Oh, and inb4, i'm not criticizing KS, already read it, all the routes and it's good, i like it and my fav girl is Shizune BTW, also inb4 for people calling me weird....

My first VN is Clannad. The reason I played it is because I want to see Kotomi's route and I hate the fact that Nagisa is the main heroine.

As for the experience, I really love it and from the VN i learn to love most characters, like Tomoyo and Kyou. I can't remember how many times I laughed because of Sunohara.

After playing Clannad though, I stopped playing VNs since the only reason I played it is for Kotomi. The VN that really bring me into VN reading is Symphonic Rain.

I went in through one of the other most common entry doors: Fate/Stay Night.

I had friends that kept talking about Type-Moon stuff, so I decided last summer to give a shot to the VN because the anime was so disappointing. Even though I kept telling me while playing that this VN had lots of flaws, it was a wonderful experience, so I just kept going since then.

I guess the way most people get into VNs is through the ones that are discussed outside of VN communities, that is Type-Moon VNs, Key VNs that were adapted into animes and stuff like that, Katawa Shoujo that made quite a lot of noise when it came out, and Saya no Uta because Urobuchi got kinda popular recently with F/Z anime adaptation and Madoka.

I think I did some random nukige (Hitomi?) for some strange reason, but I'm not too interested in those anymore

wanted to play Clannad/Little Busters and had them on an old hdd, but I moved to a diff better comp, so I lost those I think... (don't remember)

then found fuwa eventually and dled a bunch of them, but not playing them until I set some other stuff up first (streamuu)

hmm

also this topic

I would've laughed if this topic was named "Your first time" (playing) or something troll-ish x.x

Before sitting down and actually trying it out, I'll admit that I was one of those people who thought pretty lowly of VNs. My first step into the world of VNs started with Narcissu after reading a blog post about it (can't remember the blog name anymore). I read the translated English version and it completely blew me away and shattered my heart into tiny pieces (in a good way, lol).

I was pretty amazed since I thought all VNs were nukige. Boy I'm so glad I was wrong and decided to try it out instead of just being ignorant. That was in 2010, and although I haven't read many, I'll get there eventually.

My first VN was Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! (Majikoi).

The main reason I played it was because I hated how the anime ended, and I already knew it was based in a VN, so I just looked for it and played it.

It was a new experience, VNs are like a mix between manga and anime, and since I love both, I really loved it. I really liked that you could choose your own route, I played all the translated routes (I'm still waiting for Miyako's route to be completed) and enjoyed every one of them. The thing I liked more than anything else about VNs was that you could do all the routes. I was used to VN-based anime, which end without ending (most of them), where the MC ends in good terms with everyone, but just as friends, so playing a VN for the first time was great.

First VN: Yume Miru. Don't know why, really. I just downloaded cuz I liked anime, and it seemed nice on Youtube. I must have been watching some AMV and found it by accident in the related videos, I can't really remember xD. Did all three routes and took a long break. I really liked it, but I was a bit busy with silly things like real life. After I lost my college entrance exam, I was kinda depressed, so I replayed it aroud the time I was in cram school, and then I remembered Yume Miru existed. Unexpectedly, I cheered up quite a bit and looked more into it, and instead of taking all the time I should be studying, playing Visual Novels motivated me and I actually passed (I'm in Law school now). Since then, I played what I think is considered a great deal of VN, but, who knows maybe I'm just starting =D

The first experience is always painful.. oh wait, it's not about that? XD (Coming from a 童貞)

My first VN was Chaos;Head, I really liked it back then and was probably almost as delusional as the protagonist. This was.. holy shit at least 5 years ago. It all started when I was watching the anime, thought it was interesting and found the game somehow. (Though the anime got worse the more episodes were being released)

@Mikel, @Snowpoke: Yeah, I was thinking of calling it "Your first time" or something like that like zhurai said.... but well, it's done.

With that said, Holy Crackers!, didn`t expected so much replies in one day!!, well, i'll make my aportation.

There are two candidates for my first VN, Baldr Force, read it like six years ago, it was the ps2 version so it's in japanese, at that time I found a walkthrough for it on gamefaqs that explained pretty well the story, with that, the entertaining gameplay and my very very basic japanese I pulled trough all the routes, but technically i didn't read it so don't know if that counts...

If not then it was Soul Link like five years ago, it was my first VN in english. Both of them are good.

My first Visual Novel was Clannad. All of the routes were amazing. My favorite though has to be Nagissa. That storyline is so amazing and powerful.

Fuka and Kotomi routes were good as well.

Regarding the title of this topic, it could of been worded better. I must admit I had to read it twice and laughed when i did.

For me, it all started in the late '90s with three Playstation games. The first was Thousand Arms, which was a half decent console RPG with some romance elements. It's not easy to recommend today, but it's an interesting example of what Red Entertainment was making in between untranslated Sakura Wars games. The second was Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, a life simulation that I really liked despite its limitations. The third was Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, the first genuinely cute and girlish vidoe game that I enjoyed.

Three Sisters Story was the first 18+ game that I tried. I usually describe it as a visual novel, though it has a few elements similar to graphic/text adventure games. Kana Little Sister was the one that helped me become genuinely interested in VNs, as well as my first VN with no added gameplay.

I also started off with a G Collections: Heart de Roommate. It was cute...

Back in 2004, I bought Heart de Roommate, and I enjoyed it enough to read through at least two routes. I haven't looked at the VN in about eight years, and I'm honestly not sure if I would still like it today.

To be honest, since at that time i don't have access to Internet,

CD's are my only souce of VN (my friend offered me some games and since im bored at the house with a PC but no net, i tried it)

Brave Soul is my first,

followed by Snow Sakura and Shuffle after that i just got hooked in playing.

but after being introduced in Key's VN.

What im looking for a VN also changed,

I want to play VN's with a really good stories now. :lol:

Yeah, I was confused to see what kind of first experience it was talking about xD

I smiled when i read this.

We're in the same boat my friend. ^_^

My first VN was G Senjou no Maou..

Being a fan of anything with a good storyline (movies, manga, anime, game, series, anything), it was quite an eye opening experience for me.. Reading an eroge is just not the same as watching movies or TV shows.. It just does not give you a feeling that you are in the protagonists shoes, you actually are the protagonist itself, and it just blew me away..

As for my first experience (*ahem), I would say the amount of time I allotted was worthwhile, and I think had it not been my first VN, I would still be hooked on whatever I tried first (my choices were FSN, which I almost played, and Clannad, which I learned thereafter was extremely long, so I saved it for my second one)..

And after my first experience, and a lot more, I've become addicted ^^