Your first VN experience

Wolfscythe

• 2 weeks later...

Mhm, it all started with Clannad. I was in a mood to watch good shoujo anime then. I watched Clannad, then Kanon, then Air. It came out that the trilogy is based on visual novels. I became more interested in novels and finally downloaded Clannad (from Fuwa). The game came out to be good and I wanted to complete it before watching Clannad ~After Story~ . After Clannad I wanted to play more novels and... that's how it was. It started with Clannad through Phenomeno and some eroge (I'm not very proud of that) up to Ever17... and I'm not going to stop :D...

He He,

My first Visual Novel was also Katawa Shoujou. ( Lilly Rulez )

I found it by mere coincide via a YouTube recommendation.

I did sort of have a thought that someday i should try a visual novel. I watched Oreimo and VN's was features in it which is how i found the link on YouTube.

I downloaded it and instantly fell in love with it.

Since then i have played numerous VN's some good, some bad.

My personal Top 5 would have to be:

Rewrite

Katawa Shoujou

Little Busters

Clannad

Tomoyo After: It's a wonderful Life.

I have to say as well, all the VN's released by Key are just plain and simply amazing.

My personal Top 5 would have to be:

Rewrite

Katawa Shoujou

Little Busters

Clannad

Tomoyo After: It's a wonderful Life.

While it is a good top 5 indeed, I'd recommend a little diversity there. KEY is, without a doubt, author of amazing titles as you said, but there are other great companies out there too =D

osu! piqued my interest. I always come across eye candy VN OPs with videos of pretty girls and nice animations. The first one I found, I googled the name, which lead me to vndb. After that, I found more and more visual novel OPs. But every single one I search didn't have English releases (I thought I was just unlucky, but now I realized that the VNs are too new to have translations). April came (yeah this year) and I think I started browsing vndb. I was searching for good looking VNs then I came across Rewrite. (I was actually thankful that I picked an All-Ages VN as my first). I downloaded it and I started playing just this month. I was on my 4th route (that was May 18 this year) when I registered to FuwaNovel. Right now I'm done with all the heroines and I'm on the Moon route. Also, I finished downloading Kamidori, Muv-Luv, Muv-Luv Alt, Hoshizora, and Planetarian, thanks to all those recommendations you gave. :)

Despite being here for less than a week, I am now part of an FTL (Koiken Otome) (actually that thread made me want to register, since Sword of Virgin was my favorite song on osu!) and I'm also trying to involve myself in other events on this forum. I'll be trying my best from now on to help provide fan translated visual novels with everyone~ <3

• 1 month later...

My first VN was Ever 17, in the beginning I had problems as I failed to get what was going on but later I manage to get into it (I guess Ever 17 wasn't good choice for the first visual novel) but still it was good. And how I get interested in VN in the first place, well I watched anime Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga no where main heroine is Otaku who loves to play VNs and that is how VNs picked my interest.

• 1 month later...

Mine is probably one of the old JAST releases, most likely True Love or Season of Sakura, which I both quite enjoyed at the time. I also played Thousand Arms on PS1, but it's mostly RPG with some dating sim parts.

Ahh, the good old Thousand Arms. Remember the time when I was the only one among my friends to play such games. When I wanted to spread the love they were never interested, saying it was too childish. It was lonely being a JRPG player. ;_;

As I said in my intro page, my first acquaintance with anything related to VN style of gameplay was Hexamoon Guardians on psx. Then Gloria fell into my hands and it was pretty darn good. The H-scenes kinda surprised me but it was good... khm... learning material. I think Season of Sakura came after that. At the time I didn't know much about those games so when I played anime/manga style of game I could not know if game had adult material or not as my English wasn't that good then. Yes yes, the ignorance of +18 sign...

Do you Like Horny Bunnies fell into my hands and I became even more interested. I had that game installed for a LONG time. Then Virgin Roster came into my hands later and it almost scared me for life. I cried a lot and it was too heavy for me. Then I learned a lesson to always research about the game a bit before playing it. Now I'm less into eroge and more story based VNs.

Ahh, the good old Thousand Arms. Remember the time when I was the only one among my friends to play such games. When I wanted to spread the love they were never interested, saying it was too childish. It was lonely being a JRPG player. ;_;

I guess I was lucky enough to have a few friends who were into it, especialy considering I come from a countryside village. I had a deal with one of my friends during the Snes/PSX era where we would try not to buy the same RPGs so we could lend them to each other. (Still kinda sad I'm not the one who bought Suikoden II, them e-bay prices. ;_; )

This thread reminded me of another of my first eroge, Knight of Xentar. (aka Dragon Knight 3) Even back then it was kinda iffy, but it still is one of the first games I played that had hentai scenes and I have somewhat fond memories of playing it. I never finished Cobra Mission though.

I guess I was lucky enough to have a few friends who were into it, especialy considering I come from a countryside village. I had a deal with one of my friends during the Snes/PSX era where we would try not to buy the same RPGs so we could lend them to each other. (Still kinda sad I'm not the one who bought Suikoden II, them e-bay prices. ;_; )

This thread reminded me of another of my first eroge, Knight of Xentar. (aka Dragon Knight 3) Even back then it was kinda iffy, but it still is one of the first games I played that had hentai scenes and I have somewhat fond memories of playing it. I never finished Cobra Mission though.

Aah, I envy you. To have someone to talk and share your favorite genre. I was lucky one to buy Suikoden II, probably the most played game in my life. Knights of Xentar was a hidden gem and way ahead of its time. Aside from h-content, the game was pretty damn fun, same for Cobra Mission and Metal & Lace. It's a shame that Megatech software fell apart rather quickly, if they were active we would have had a lot of games.

I heard they reformed under MegatechGames but so far they only released Undercover - Girls of Cobra mission for iPhone.

Mine was Clannad, I enjoyed the animes of Kanon and Air and found out that they were done by the company key. I was going to watch the Clannad anime next but since I found out that it was a visual novel, I decided to read the vn instead. (And this was around 2008-2009) Sadly, I stopped reading in the middle of Nagisa's route (finished the rest) and finished the anime. I remember watching youtube videos of LB! back when it only had the common route translated XD;; The first vn I finished was Narcissu though.

• 2 weeks later...

My first eroge is Shuffle!

Actually, i was dumped by my girlfriend at that time. Was feeling really frustrated thus i searched around the net for something similar relating to anime/manga etc2. And came across Shuffle! VN somehow instead of the anime(though i'd prefer watching anime more that time but oh well).

Thought it was boring since i was more of a FPS/action gamer at that time. But the story and how VN approaches the reader made me hooked, and i have to say i love Kaeda in the game(i love short-hairs, yeah).

Later came across G-Collections' Sagara Family etc2 but i was still disgusted with nukige at that time, so i pick up something lighter such as My Girlfriend is The President and others.

My first visual novel was fate/stay night.

Back then, I was looking for new anime to watch and I stumbled upon the studio Deen adaption of fate stay night through a top 10 list reccomendation. I decided to wiki fate stay night to see its synopsis and found out it was originally a visual novel.

My first response was like "What the hell is a visual novel?"

So I decided to play the f/sn visual novel, and here I am lol.

I stumbled across 'True Love' a long time ago, back before I knew what visual novels were. I thought it was an awesome game (still do), played a few more (seasons of sakura and stuff) thought they were awesome too... and then for some reason I forgot about the genre for many years. Probably because I got busy.

Tsukihime was the first VN I read though back then I never really knew what visual novels really are. I thought it was just like a digital book (a novel with visuals) and you could probably imagine my confusion when I got one of the bad endings and thought that was the end of it lol.. :lol:

Though it was OsaDai (My Girlfriend is the President) that actually got me into this whole visual novel/eroge scene.

The first visual novel I played was Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side for the Nintendo DS.

Then Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side: 2nd Kiss and then I ventured off into some other types of visual novels.

Some RPG maker games in a visual novel style and Corpse Party, which apparently is a visual novel.

I think then I played Katawa Shoujo.

And most recently Danganronpa which is also a visual novel, apparently.

My first visual novel was Umineko no Naku koro ni. I started reading it because the girl I liked was reading it (lol) and because I was really into Higurashi when it was airing. ...Then Umineko took over my life, whoops!

Though I'd always had this weird interest in eroge. It started when I was 11 or 12 and was part of roleplaying communities where we used anime style CGs, so I found out about titles through the art I'd use. At the time my computer only had like 2GB of storage (?!) so I could never download games, and then for years I never tried anything on my Mac. So instead I just LOOKED at a lot of games and retained a lot of knowledge about various titles without actually playing them myself?? But once I had Umineko running, I suddenly felt motivation to try and get games running on my Macbook. So here we are.

My first eroge was Shuffle! purely because it was the first eroge I'd heard of years ago and I, for some reason, felt like if I ever started playing eroge, it'd have to be my first one. Wasn't really worth it tbh.

My first VN was Katawa Shoujo as well. I first heard about KS from a review on blisteredthumbs and I found the premise of the game very interesting. Adding to that the review said that the game handles the subject matter with the respect it deserves and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Went on to play it and pretty much stopped everything else until I was done with all routes. As for the experience of playing the game, I would have to say I was very pleasantly surprised, since I was skeptic about how serious an eroge could really be, but KS definitely did not disappoint!