When do you consider that you finished a VN?

Okami

When do you consider that you finished a VN?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. When do you consider that you finished a VN?

• Only when I read complite 100% and see every single scene, chouse every choice.
    • When I read all the endings including dead and bad ones.
    • When I read all the good/normal endings (when I read all routes).
    • When I read all routes that I am intereset in.
    • As soon as I get to the first ending.
    • Other.

This poll is closed to new votes

@deep blue, sry but i have to object, since there´re tons of novels out there, where you wont get the full picture when skipping the bad endings.

edit: I´m NOT saying that each & every bad ending is relevant to the story, but you wont know until you do them

well yep, in that case you are correct but most of the time bad endings are just there for....I'm not even sure why...for example most of the bad endings in fate/stay night, waste of time.

But if the bad endings are part of the plot itself then by all mean yes.

I consider a VN done when I have seen a good ending on every route. I've only played one game where routes have multiple good endings (Fate/Stay Night), and in that one I did in fact get all 5 non-bad endings, but I didn't feel like I really gained much from them; the game was done for me the moment I finished the True ending to Heavens Feel, and I liked the Normal UBW ending better than the Good UBW ending anyway...

Oh, and joke routes don't count - I never played the Oppai route in Rewrite, but I definitely consider it done. As for 100% bad endings, 100% CGs, etc., I just don't have the time or the motivation.

I'm pretty close to a 100% kind of girl. I like to get every ending and choose every choice. I'm still stuck at 98% for No, Than You!!! Though because once you finish all the endings you have to replay every route for like an added 5 lines here and there to get the last 2%. I figured if I ever replayed the game one day (one route at a time when I felt like it) I will someday get 100%.

Otherwise even if I "drop" a VN I will eventually come back to 100% it

• 4 months later...

I've been confused for some time about whether I've finished some VNs. It's because sometime I don't bother to collect all collectibles available, uninterested to read some extras, or unmotivated to see some additional endings. So I'd like you guys to help me define what "finishing" a VN is by voting.

It's personal and arbitrary thing. If you feel like you finished a visual novel just by reading all of the routes minus the bad endings or collecting all the cgs, then you should feel fine saying you finished it. Its not like there's some oversight committee regulating the proper use of the word "finished." 

For me, I don't really put down a visual novel until I've read through every single ending (good, bad, and in between) and obtain every single cg.  Exceptions are made in the case of lengthy gameplay vns.

I think seeing endings and completing CGs go hand in hand so they are pretty much the same to me. I usually try to 100% CG gallery since I save those in my folder vs downloading them. I like my computer resolution better vs downloading them from other websites...

This is interesting, because while I normally like to say I have read everything to call it complete, Grisaia did a terrible job at this. Yumiko is by default the route you enter if you don't go down any routes, and since the game literally has no epilogue and ends when you finish the last route, holy cow will that put a shitty taste in your mouth.

Not always. Sometimes you may still miss some CGs even though you've cleared all routes or seen all endings. 

If that's the case 100% CG/Scene/Music/Omake is my priority for "finishing" a VN then. It's like playing RPGs and trying to score every single item there is. A completionist's nightmare, but a huge satisfaction and sense of accomplishment in the end.