Fan asks for help translating Watajuu

I was browsing English Otome Games this morning, and saw a post re-blogged from Tumblr. The person said, "Good news: I have permission from TetraScope to translate Watajuu. Bad news: The engine doesn’t recognize single-byte characters, and none of the existing NScripter clones work with the game properly (as far as I can tell.) If you know any programmers who compile on Windows or could help in any way, let me know please." (source: http://neibaku.tumblr.com/post/96720160223/good-news-i-have-permission-from-tetrascope-to)

Watashi no Real wa Juujitsu Shisugiteiru is a free otome game / visual novel that was released early this year. It got positive reviews from both Hinano's Game Babbles and Maiden Kingdom.

Ah, I figured there was going to be a simple solution but I went for a more difficult one anyway. I was able to edit the exe to allow for non multiple of 2 strings (and allows for mixing JP/Eng regardless of position), but it then somehow turned into giving all characters full-width spacing even though they were ascii, no idea why. I fixed that and then found it strips all spaces from the text before even getting to the display loop anyway. What a pain. >: The loop for the text at 0044A9C0 is just silly.

I'm honestly shocked that the solution was right under my nose. If I had known it was that easy, I wouldn't have led myself on this needless goose chase. Maybe this (apparently) little-known tweak is the reason ONScripter-en development halted.

Thank you so much!

Though I wonder if the name restrictions, being that it only lets you type in full-width, can be lifted.

edit: The coding sort of messes up, like the colour commands are unusable and the name command ($name1) shows as-is.

I just noticed your edit there.

Here was one of my attempts at adjusting one of those lines...

original text...

#FF7c7b【姉崎$name1】#574031
「はは……ごめん、それじゃあまたね」\

translated text...

textcolor #FF7c7b
【Anesaki $name1】
textcolor #574031
>「Haha... Sorry, I'll see you later.」\

and a screenshot of the result...

H6aA7UY.jpg

Right. There are a couple more issues I've run into.

Every so often, there is a double-coloured line, which doesn't work with the text commands being on a separate line. It also causes the speaker parts to

be

on

different

lines.

CakvFF5.png(They aren't on different lines here, but this is how it looks when I try to put it on one line.)

v.

FJJXUKb.png

Then the choices seem to have some length limit. Not character-wise, but how long it is. It cuts off, even with the spaces before altered and if I make the choices single words.

g4S4vX3.png

v.

GfAvEDp.png

"Spaces before" being that the choice texts look like this:

;選択肢-------------------------------------------------------------------

csel"      I'll wait for you",*c_sel01a,"    I'll be leaving",*c_sel01b

Lastly for now, the save/load screen doesn't register the colours, which is strange because it did before. Yesterday, it wouldn't even let me open the save screen, though that issue was resolved by adding a colour code onto a different line (albeit one that didn't have a code originally.) But anyway, the save titles are white when they are supposed to be pink. Again, these worked before, and I didn't add any white colour codes.

O01B0Og.png

v.

FAzEFaX.png

edit: I've fixed this.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if anyone knows how to repack the arc.nsa file. I tried, but it corrupted and crashed pretty quickly.

It looks like the forward slash /

can be used to tell NScripter to not put a line break after the current line.

This only works when you're not using the > prefix, so that's a pain since you'll need to count bytes.

So the slash can be used to prevent line breaks and make the double-colored text work out...

original...

#009683【瑞穂#574031・#FF7c7b$name1】#574031

translated...

textcolor #009683
【Mizuho/
textcolor #574031
・/
textcolor #FF7c7b
$name1】
textcolor #574031
「「…………」」\

It does make the code look a lot messier than it should be, but it works...

KOgAMh2.jpg

For the menu choice text, we're apparently going to need to count bytes.... again.

NScripter seems to dislike having spaces that occur on a even byte count, so what I did here was replace those even spaces with a full-width (double-byte) space. It looks annoying. The original Japanese line actually used full-width spaces to pad the choice text.

csel"    I'll wait for you ",*c_sel01a,"    I'll be leaving ",*c_sel01b

The effect may not be obvious in your web browser, so paste it into a text editor and use a monospace font to verify it, or just see it in-game...

5Melemg.jpg

As for repacking a new archive, you probably want the NScripter SDK from here: http://nscripter.insani.org/sdk.html

Get it and use the nsaarc tool. It works successfully when I repacked the game's data.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to necropost, but I'm back on this once again, and I'd rather keep existing information in one place than reference two/three threads.

Two of the major issues I am having right now are with Nscripter's name command ($name1) on a line around the middle of the common route, line 5168:

学校では“才色兼備で非の打ち所のない生徒会副会長”と周知されている私、姉崎$name1は、実際には三度の飯よりアニメやゲーム(特に乙女ゲーム)が大好物なただのオタクである。\

The game crashes when that line comes out. I counted the bytes and all, and it fit. I even broke the line into two blocks in case it was crashing because it was too long, but didn't seem to help.

The other issue is with soft line breaks; I can't use the backslash to keep actual text on the same line. It either has to do a hard line break (text goes on the line below) or it just frizzes out. Some of this is a big issue since between soft breaks, there's sometimes delay and/or graphics commands, like so:

#FF7c7b【姉崎$name1】#574031
「えっ。/
delay 200
mov %Nozomi,0 : mov %Ase,0 : mov %C,0 : gosub *nozomi_a62
print 1
mov %Nozomi,0 : mov %Ase,1 : mov %C,0 : gosub *nozomi_b43
print 7
うわ」\
mov %Nozomi,0 : mov %Ase,1 : mov %C,0 : gosub *nozomi_b42
print 7
しまった。スカートのプリーツがとれかかっている。\

As we've established, soft break commands don't work when using the English designation (>line), and removing it like you do for name command lines doesn't work either. So...

• 3 months later...