Gmail passwords leaked

Darklord Rooke

5 million Gmail passwords have been leaked by Russian hackers. List can be downloaded here - https://forum.btcsec.com/index.php?/topic/9426-gmail-meniai-parol/

A list of almost 5 million combinations of Gmail addresses and passwords was posted online on Tuesday. But the passwords seem to be old, and they don't appear to actually belong to Gmail accounts. Instead, it seems that many of the passwords were taken from websites where users used their Gmail addresses to register, according to some of the leak's victims as well as security experts.

For example, someone might have signed up for a website with the username "[email protected]" and the password "mypassword." The list exposed this week makes it look like "mypassword" is the password for the Gmail account itself, but the user's actual Gmail password might be totally different.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/gmail-passwords-leak-online-but-you-may-not-need-to-panic-20140910-10f872.html

People might want to check to see if they need to change passwords.

Well...looks like I'm safe, according to Zakamutt's link.  Still gotta make a new password, though...my current one is over 20 characters long with upper and lower case letters and symbols.  Seriously going to have a hard time thinking up another one as good as that one.  God, I hate hackers.

Should be mentioned that you might get your email harvested by the site or something, I don't really care at this point but still.

come to think of it, maybe I should make my google account password safer anyway (note: it's not that bad either.) God knows the password for even my fuwanovel account is a bit stronger, and the vnaer password should be p. decent w

I have several email accounts which I change their passwords every 3 weeks to a month out of habit, as well as a few that I set the passwords to random generated numbers and letters that I simply remember.  One of my accounts was compromised and I just trashed it entirely, thankfully I have the emails that were necessary on paper in a filing cabinet (you know, those things that old people use).

Fuck the guys who did this, though.

It's actually not that bad to have this released publicly though.

If they managed to get into those databases and steal all those passwords, god knows how many other people/underground networks already had their hand on this before. Now this data has been made pretty much meaningless.

One of mine showed up.. and it was an important email too :(  I didn't even know about this, but luckily I had changed it couple months back anyways (I think when I heard ebay accounts got hacked into).  Ugh it's so annoying though.. I swear, I have so many different passwords, I sometimes can't log into my own account because I forget which belongs to which..