MUSIC

FriendlyPanda

Hey there people so I was wondering if there are any other people out there in the fuwa community that also like making music? if so if you got a soundcloud or post on youtube post it here so we can check you out! :D

my music might not be the best but i love making music so heres my sound cloud http://soundcloud.com/bo-dean-bullard

feed back would be awesome! :D

I've have listened everything but the various WIPs of Silent Cries, however I'm going to do so next. You have nice music to the ears, by that I mean that it's not overwhelming which is good  :) . If I had to criticize anything would be that, for my ears, Past and Getting By sound awfully similar, it may be just me but it's how I feel. Also you seem to put a very upbeat feel to your tracks, it's not necessarily bad, but for example in Silent Cries the track title seems to want to convey something solemn however that upbeat feel ruins it. The criticizing I did basically only touches in my personal perception so it may not be the best.

I was wondering the exact same thing actually:p

I play the guitar & piano for some time now and atm only taking piano lessons and  I also like to write my own piano scores.

And I'm currently the one producing the music for a visual novel of a team of this forum :)

Been producing my own music for 5 years now. 

I started with FL Studio, but have switched over to Studio One now.

What DAW do you work in btw?

Well for feedback, I like it but this kind of music is not something I know a lot about producing myself, but for example at "future sight" you have that breakdown @1:30, it has a sidechain/volume envelope on it.

I would cut that out and turn the volume down, you can see in the waveform of that track, that it is not correct.

@3:00 Also the "kick" is the dominant instrument in every EDM track (house, d&b, dubstep, etc).

Now the kick sort of drowns because of all the other instruments, now can't hear it clearly and doesn't have a lot of punch.

You can solve this by almost everytime with just EQ'ing and sidechaining.

Cut off low frequencies of the synth, there will be some and you don't need them and they are messing with the kick.

Sidechain the bass and synths so it will make more room for the kick.

Also when you sidechain it will have a more dynamic feel to it, makes people dance and stuff :P

I would recommend using more FX (i've heard some, but need more:P), like white noise buildups and down or snare fills or make cut-off envelopes of you synth, since those breaks are coming at a kinda random moment now.

When you do this, there will be more tension in the track overall.

Also your tracks lack really power and some instruments sound too thin, like for example daijoubu.

That snare is way too thin, it needs more low and depth.

You can do this by layering more snares with that one, and matchEQ them. (if you have one for the lower end, you cut some low off the other).

After that you compress them, put some saturation/distortion on them (try Sausage Fattener by Dada Life, really simple and cool plug-in).

Also you can use that VST on your bass and synths.

And some general tips, always make sure strings have compression on them when do are just background instruments, since they don't need the dynamics.

This will make room for other instruments, which will result in a louder overall sounding track.

Use this also on bass if needed.

Don't know if you are doing it or not, but it helps if you seperate the Reverb and Delay of the mixer channels.

You have them linked to sends, and then you have the ability to edit and hear (if you have all the channels linked to busses) the reverb and delay separately.

Have a short reverb one for the bass, snares, hats etc. and a long for the synths, fx, vocals and stuff and a delay too.

That's it for now:P

Hey there people so I was wondering if there are any other people out there in the fuwa community that also like making music? if so if you got a soundcloud or post on youtube post it here so we can check you out! :D

my music might not be the best but i love making music so heres my sound cloud http://soundcloud.com/bo-dean-bullard

feed back would be awesome! :D

The most important thing in any case is that you start at all :P

Doesn't really matter how and nobody's going to make the first months of producing any high quality music, and you need to put in a lot of time of learning in mixing everything right

If I'm going to make music at all I'd like to make trailer or theatrical music. Like the song on my profile for example. In my opinion that would take a great amount of time and creativity. But thanks for the motivation hilbi-san

I was wondering the exact same thing actually:p

I play the guitar & piano for some time now and atm only taking piano lessons and  I also like to write my own piano scores.

And I'm currently the one producing the music for a visual novel of a team of this forum :)

Been producing my own music for 5 years now. 

I started with FL Studio, but have switched over to Studio One now.

What DAW do you work in btw?

Well for feedback, I like it but this kind of music is not something I know a lot about producing myself, but for example at "future sight" you have that breakdown @1:30, it has a sidechain/volume envelope on it.

I would cut that out and turn the volume down, you can see in the waveform of that track, that it is not correct.

@3:00 Also the "kick" is the dominant instrument in every EDM track (house, d&b, dubstep, etc).

Now the kick sort of drowns because of all the other instruments, now can't hear it clearly and doesn't have a lot of punch.

You can solve this by almost everytime with just EQ'ing and sidechaining.

Cut off low frequencies of the synth, there will be some and you don't need them and they are messing with the kick.

Sidechain the bass and synths so it will make more room for the kick.

Also when you sidechain it will have a more dynamic feel to it, makes people dance and stuff :P

I would recommend using more FX (i've heard some, but need more:P), like white noise buildups and down or snare fills or make cut-off envelopes of you synth, since those breaks are coming at a kinda random moment now.

When you do this, there will be more tension in the track overall.

Also your tracks lack really power and some instruments sound too thin, like for example daijoubu.

That snare is way too thin, it needs more low and depth.

You can do this by layering more snares with that one, and matchEQ them. (if you have one for the lower end, you cut some low off the other).

After that you compress them, put some saturation/distortion on them (try Sausage Fattener by Dada Life, really simple and cool plug-in).

Also you can use that VST on your bass and synths.

And some general tips, always make sure strings have compression on them when do are just background instruments, since they don't need the dynamics.

This will make room for other instruments, which will result in a louder overall sounding track.

Use this also on bass if needed.

Don't know if you are doing it or not, but it helps if you seperate the Reverb and Delay of the mixer channels.

You have them linked to sends, and then you have the ability to edit and hear (if you have all the channels linked to busses) the reverb and delay separately.

Have a short reverb one for the bass, snares, hats etc. and a long for the synths, fx, vocals and stuff and a delay too.

That's it for now:P

I'll be putting all of this into my new work thank you so much for the feedback it means allot :)