Places to Start

theboxcarracer

Hey all, I just wanted to ask for a bit of advice regarding where to start when it comes to watching anime.

I personally have watched several shows, but I still feel like I haven't really "broken in" to the medium. I feel like I'm still missing something and that if I had it, I would be able to enjoy anime a lot more. Are there any specific shows I should watch to get a foothold in the medium, so that I can start to enjoy other shows more?

I also wanted to know how you guys manage to keep up with all the new stuff. I see what's coming out and I have no idea where to start, or what's worth my time. I actually really want to enjoy anime more than I do, so if anyone can help me out here, that would be greatly appreciated!

I guess I should state what little I know about my tastes. I am not really into shounen, though I feel like I could be, if there are any particularly good ones. I'm not averse to ecchi either. I really enjoyed High School DxD, for more than just the boobs, too. I really like mushy romantic stuff, and thoroughly enjoyed Toradora, which I finished recently. For more specific stuff, you can see my MAL page, but you totally don't have to go to the trouble, or anything. 

First things first: I would suggest one of two things. 1) either watch all the airing anime that you plan on eventually watching. or 2) make a list of all the airing anime each season that you would like to watch sometime. Myanimelist is a good place to do this. That really keeps me in touch with what's airing. As long as I have it somewhere that I can find it when I need to, I can just go with the flow and watch what I want to. I tend to just look at art and read the summary and look at the rating to decide if I want to watch it. Anything above 8 is sure to be good ^^ and I play it by ear below there.

I think that something that will really get you into anime and fits those tastes... maybe Kore wa Zombie. Baka to Test is also really good. Kami Nomi is a good bet too. Those are all comedies, of various degrees. If you want something so cool that you'll never look back... Durarara!! or Gurren Lagann? Something classic and hilarious but also pervy and lolsy would be OniAi. It's hard to say what will blast you off, but I imagine those could do it if the genre fits. I'm less sure about OniAi, but it's one that I feel is undervalued, so read the summary first maybe xD

My first ones, aside from a childhood of Ghibli, were Death Note (so good!) and Gintama.

Oh my god. I forgot to sell Gintama. Gintama has been one of the funniest, one of the most touching, and one of the best things I have ever watched. And it's long. Which means that there's a ton of it. If you want to get into something and seriously enjoy it, try Gintama. The first 4 episodes are a little weird, but it gets going after that for sure. Not that they are bad either... >,>

also, I just read your profile and this is a good time to say that you seem awesome. I suspected it from your posts. Fellow Katawa Shoujo lover!? Anyway, I kind of dropped a lot of suggestions cause there's a lot that I like. If you want a more personalized rec you could send me a message with more specific interests or something ;D  --hit me up if you want someone to talk to or give you suggestions, or whatever. I love tat kind of thing. Otherwise, whatevs ~.^

I hope you find the passion you seek!

I'm going to link some threads here for you that I think might be helpful in finding something to watch. ^_^

A good place to start might be watching something more 'classic', and for that I will link you to Clephas' list of Anime classics, where a handful of people listed anime that they consider to be, well, classic. You'll have to browse around and find something that suits you, but there are a lot of good ones in that thread. Some that I like that were mentioned in that thread are Trigun, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, and Azumanga Daioh. And it's not one of my favourites, but a lot of people would recommend Cowboy Bebop.

It you don't want to do that, there is this thread here, where people listed their top 10 anime along with their preferred genres and themes, so it might be easier to find something that suits your tastes (you'll even see my list in there).

When it comes to currently airing anime... I'm probably not the best person to ask about that. I'm able to keep up with my currently airing anime by being picky and only choosing 2-3 to follow per season.

It depends on the genre you are picking. I'd like to help from the start so I'm going to list down the useful sites we use in general:

AniDB - This is your information site on who-subbed-what with detailed information on videos. Not like you would understand it, but you'll get the general idea if you skim through one series for a few minutes on that site.

ANN - Up-to-date news on everything out there that involves the 'Anime' world.

BBT - Releases completed series/seasons with the best or good quality from fansub groups.

For programs that are required:

CCCP - Get rid of any third party codec program, including VLC (it's shit) and install this. Use the MPC inside of it. There are three other steps I want to put down here but I'll list them later if you do take this step. They're optional, but they'll make the player lighter and the subs will be smoother and easier to load.

uTorrent 3.0 - This is the best uTorrent version that doesn't have all the crap they put in the later versions, including ads ... unless you want ads then go download the latest version. Disable the 'update to newer version' in General tab.

Though I gave you the break down of how I do things (and the majority of us), you can also go to Funimation or Crunchyroll and stick to their streaming services which is several steps below the fansub quality you get.

As far as getting into the Anime world ... the links provided by The Major is a good start. It all depends on what you're into. Are you into mo'e (cute) anime? Realistic? Fantasy? Dark Fantasy? And so on and forth.

But here's one other thing you could use - go to AniDB, click on 'Calendar', in the drop down box where it lists the months, scroll down to the 'seasons' and you will see all the anime releasing/released for that season and for the year you picked. I use that for quick reference to what I missed, what's coming up soon, or what I want to watch.

Just pick whatever anime you wanna watch and go for it. The rest will come in time.

If you're looking for recommendations though. Hajime no Ippo is a really simple, enjoyable series about boxing. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a lot of wacky fun. If you're like me and enjoy a lot of surrealism and ideology then Bakemonogatari may work too.

Hey all, I just wanted to ask for a bit of advice regarding where to start when it comes to watching anime.

I personally have watched several shows, but I still feel like I haven't really "broken in" to the medium. I feel like I'm still missing something and that if I had it, I would be able to enjoy anime a lot more. Are there any specific shows I should watch to get a foothold in the medium, so that I can start to enjoy other shows more?

I also wanted to know how you guys manage to keep up with all the new stuff. I see what's coming out and I have no idea where to start, or what's worth my time. I actually really want to enjoy anime more than I do, so if anyone can help me out here, that would be greatly appreciated!

I guess I should state what little I know about my tastes. I am not really into shounen, though I feel like I could be, if there are any particularly good ones. I'm not averse to ecchi either. I really enjoyed High School DxD, for more than just the boobs, too. I really like mushy romantic stuff, and thoroughly enjoyed Toradora, which I finished recently. For more specific stuff, you can see my MAL page, but you totally don't have to go to the trouble, or anything. 

I just skimmed through your MAL and I can say you like ecchi and comedy mixed together. I can suggest some animes in that regard:

To Love Ru

Noucome

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?

But if I would suggest some animes I personally like:

Sakurasou no Kanojo na Pet

To aru kagaku no Railgun/ Majutsu no Index

Seitokai Yakuindomo

I see you are watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Give it a chance. That one and Code Geass got me hooked into the anime world. If you want more I could suggest that when I arrive home later. I don't remember everything I have watched.

But if you are looking into new animes each season I recommend anichart.net

For more specific stuff, you can see my MAL page, but you totally don't have to go to the trouble, or anything. 

You forgot "baka". :)

ok i think ill chime in here. 

1) how do i keep up, simple i wait till the season ends then marathon the entire season worth of anime in about a week and a half give or take. i only choose series that appeal to me in at least some small way. there's no point forcing yourself to watch series you know for a fact you wont like, that leads to burn out fast. what sources do i use? as tatsujin posted i use bbt, nyaa, crunchy , and anime freak and other streaming sites mostly i torrent a series watch it all in one go then move on to the next. as for how i know what will interest me i look at the art,character designs, and synopsis, and recommendations from people who's tastes i consider decent.

2) a few good ones to get you started. welcome to the nhk (its a dark comedy and its extremely good ), working/wagnaria! (season one and two are out now season three is releasing i believe in this winter season upcoming, its a comedy about people working in a family restaurant.), genshiken and its sequels (great comedy about otaku a lil tongue in cheek at times and serious at others), and for a non comedic twist id suggest a few movies HAL, summer wars, and kara no kyoukai the entire series of films you wont be disappointed trust me .

if you like check my mal , be careful what you click though i do have hentai in my list most of which is not for the faint of heart .

I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, I just keep getting distracted and my house's Netflix TV is rarely available. And I feel bad about pirating it if there's an easy and free (for me) legal option to watching it.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this. I do think it'll be a little easier to get a grasp on this stuff, especially with the links Tatsujin provided.