All translated VNs years chart. (Updated with new charts)

Okami

So I was interested in knowing how much has translation of VNs increased with time and I had done some research and now I decided to make a chart and to share it here so everyone can see. (Only fully translated VNs are included in a chart, nukiges aren't included in a chart).

Alltranslated_VNsgraph.jpg

And here are separated charts for fan-translated and officially localized VNs (VNs that ware fan-translated and later localized aren't included in localized chart)

All_Fan_translared_VNsgraph.jpg

alllocalized_VNsgraph.jpg

That's a very interesting graph you put together. Do you have a spreadsheet or something that you can share with all the raw data? It'd be cool to see what came out when and by whom. Or perhaps there is a way to do that with VNDB?

I am not completely sure I understand what you are asking for but if I am not wrong you want to know with VN was released in witch year by whom? If that is a case  the best place to do that would be  my "Complete list of ALL English translated VNs".

I am not completely sure I understand what you are asking for but if I am not wrong you want to know with VN was released in witch year by whom? If that is a case  the best place to do that would be  my "Complete list of ALL English translated VNs".

Yep, that's exactly what I was curious about. Thanks for pointing in the direction of that thread.

Awesome chart. A VN translation coming out in 1988 is surprising, though. The internet didn't even exist yet.

Internet existed 1988, however the World Wide Web was invented the year after. They probably distributed the translation on floppies and ordered the original game and that through mail-order (!?) I don't know, or it was a commercial release sold in stores.

If you check Okami's corresponding list you'll find out which VN was released in 1988 - https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/3473-complete-list-of-all-english-translated-vns/

Not a bad list or graph. However Okami's list misses some of the older VNs translated, especially from the 90s, so the curve isn't quite as pronounced as the graph suggests. Things like True Love or Seasons of Sakura. It also includes VN hybrids (I'm being nice here) translated by official companies and promoted under different genres. Games like Phoenix Wright.

But overall it shows a general trend. The emergence of Sekai Project will only add to the number of titles. It would be nice if this increased awareness in the West translated into more support for the industry.

This of course. Up to around 2005 there were almost no fantranslations to speak of really (I don't think there's a single one that was released before 2000).

That's right a first fan-translation was in 2001.

If you check Okami's corresponding list you'll find out which VN was released in 1988 - https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/3473-complete-list-of-all-english-translated-vns/

Not a bad list or graph. However Okami's list misses some of the older VNs translated, especially from the 90s, so the curve isn't quite as pronounced as the graph suggests. Things like True Love or Seasons of Sakura. It also includes VN hybrids (I'm being nice here) translated by official companies and promoted under different genres. Games like Phoenix Wright.

But overall it shows a general trend. The emergence of Sekai Project will only add to the number of titles. It would be nice if this increased awareness in the West translated into more support for the industry.

You are right they are missing, I will add them to the list and update a chart later, I'l probably also make those separate charts in next few days. If you notice any more titles that are missing please let me know in this thread.