Science Experiments anyone?

Yukiru

So, anyone here has the hobby of having experiments? I'm working on a homemade original double slit experiment right now, and that aside, I've made a few experiments on optics. 

So, tell us, have you ever made a scientific experiment just for the joy of it? would you like to do one? what have you done?

In suspicion that drinking tap water causes one to urinate more often, I experimented with both purified and tap water. Although my execution of the scientific method was not entirely orthodox, I've concluded that there does not exist a noticeable distinction between tap water and purified water when it comes to bladder control. Somebody else can write a scientific report regarding this matter.

I've done a lot of experiments in labs and science classes over the years but I haven't conducted one myself in a long time.  I would have to say that both biology and organic chemistry were my favorite (nothing quite like making your own aspirin tablets).   Overall, I would have to say that dissections are my absolute favorite thing.  I'm pretty sure if PETA was aware of some of the stuff we did in biology lab they would have a field day. 

Aside from experiments I've done research over the years as well and am currently working on my own independent project now (hopefully it will get published). 

Not a bio or med student. The only experiment I conducted was in a controlled environment under very strict circumstances, i.e my science class XD!

But that was a long while back. However there is one common experiment that has crossed my mind. Coke and mintos. I've seen the effects on youtube but i've always wanted to try it. 

I've been contemplating doing some tests to determine if a person can determine their hydration levels via snot consistency, much like people use urine color. Also fo a week I kept a spreadsheet documenting some sleep details to see what sleep time works best, but I didnt follow through with it for very long t.t

Not a bio or med student. The only experiment I conducted was in a controlled environment under very strict circumstances, i.e my science class XD!

But that was a long while back. However there is one common experiment that has crossed my mind. Coke and mintos. I've seen the effects on youtube but i've always wanted to try it. 

I've done that, it's beautiful. 

I've been contemplating doing some tests to determine if a person can determine their hydration levels via snot consistency, much like people use urine color. Also fo a week I kept a spreadsheet documenting some sleep details to see what sleep time works best, but I didnt follow through with it for very long t.t

There's more factors than hydration though.  Air humidity and salinity also play a role. 

It has been a while but the last thing I did was an experiment involving a trebuchet. I made one and didn't know what to do with it so I just did an experiment with it. :P For some reason the graph relations looked like a cubic graph when having the counterweight vs. distance traveled. IN the end I feel like I was unable to control every variable. :|

• 2 weeks later...

Not 100% experiments here but I'm trying out a freshman research program at my uni to see if I want to go into research.

Basically in my first (this) semester, I will conduct a research and write a paper about it at the end of the semester. At the moment, I'm thinking of topics since the proposal isn't due until around 2 weeks. Me and my partner are thinking of researching how effective antibiotics are in various temperatures and pH. I'm hoping to make a conclusion that they're more effective in higher temperatures since our body temperatures increase when we're sick.

The 2nd and the 3rd semesters consists of joining a research stream. There's lots of options from compsci to biology to chemistry XD

Not 100% experiments here but I'm trying out a freshman research program at my uni to see if I want to go into research.

Basically in my first (this) semester, I will conduct a research and write a paper about it at the end of the semester. At the moment, I'm thinking of topics since the proposal isn't due until around 2 weeks. Me and my partner are thinking of researching how effective antibiotics are in various temperatures and pH. I'm hoping to make a conclusion that they're more effective in higher temperatures since our body temperatures increase when we're sick.

The 2nd and the 3rd semesters consists of joining a research stream. There's lots of options from compsci to biology to chemistry XD

I think it would depend what type of antibiotic you're going to use, do you know?  Fever is an evolutionary adaptation in order to kill off bacteria so I would imagine we had the foresight to examine this but I can't seem to find anything on it.   You'll also probably have to account for the circadian rhythms of body temperature as well. 

I think it would depend what type of antibiotic you're going to use, do you know?  Fever is an evolutionary adaptation in order to kill off bacteria so I would imagine we had the foresight to examine this but I can't seem to find anything on it.   You'll also probably have to account for the circadian rhythms of body temperature as well. 

I'm planning on using penicillin for the antibiotic and e. coli for the bacteria.

That's really the point of the research I have to do this semester XD Create and perform research over something we've been curious about! Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm part of a clinical trial right now that is testing out a sleep medication that's already on the market. I have suffered from lack of sleep since I was probably 8.

So far it's been working well for me. I fall sleep naturally almost every night around the same time. I wake up with the lightest breeze on my shoulders compared to the heavy feeling I get with your Ambiens and antihistamines. 

At first I signed up to get a little extra money in my pocket while I was in-between jobs. Now I'm sure this medication will be part of my life once the trial is over. This seems like the most effective sleep medication out there. It's taken just like a prescription and it's meant for long term use. Many people will probably give up on the first few days of use because they are used to getting knocked out right away. This medication takes time to build up in your body. 

I've tested out stuff that I've heard from other people or on the internet, like the idea that hitting a random body part fairly hard after injuring another body part makes the pain from the first injury disappear.  It actually works, at least for a short period of time.  I guess the signal for pain is either limited or overridden by more recent injuries.  Of course, I did the obligatory Diet Coke + Mentos experiment, and I've developed a theory for correctly predicting the outcome of coin flips that seems to work more often than not, but I can't actually prove that it's true because of the randomness of probability.  Not exactly a science whiz, but I'll test things out if they spark my interest.

about how fridge destroys the cola taste

Oh man, I hate when that happens. I noticed that the less soda you have in the bottle, the more watered down it gets from the fridge. Main reason why I prefer soda cans since they stay fresher longer. That and I actually like the taste of soda mixed with aluminum. It probably has something to do with the amount of air in the container. Since it's in a cold environment, there's the possibility of it condensing into small bits of water and mixing with the soda. Not particularly sure though, I haven't done anything science-related in a while.

Oh man, I hate when that happens. I noticed that the less soda you have in the bottle, the more watered down it gets from the fridge. Main reason why I prefer soda cans since they stay fresher longer. That and I actually like the taste of soda mixed with aluminum. It probably has something to do with the amount of air in the container. Since it's in a cold environment, there's the possibility of it condensing into small bits of water and mixing with the soda. Not particularly sure though, I haven't done anything science-related in a while.

I have a solution : let your opened bottle in air, it'll conserve the taste of the cola WAY much longer.