Sign in to follow this  
MetalUpa1014

Sega Dreamcast Visual Novels

I've finally gotten around to purchasing a Sega Dreamcast. I was lucky enough to get a Japanese region HKT-3000 model from a third party seller on Amazon. He lived in the US, so I fortunately did not have to pay much for shipping. While the system ships through the mail, I'm looking at the various games available for the system. Sure, I'm definitely going to play Shenmue and Marvel vs. Capcom, but there's of course a bunch of import games that the US never got. I'm talking about the visual novels available for the Dreamcast.

VNDB lists a ton of VNs on the system here:

http://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=plat-drc

Does anyone have any particular recommendations? I'm well aware that the Infinity and KEY games had Dreamcast ports. One particular series I'm interested in is the Memories Off series. It's only in Japanese, but hey, I'm learning the language anyway. If someone could point to me some Dreamcast VNs that don't have too complicated Japanese, I'd be most grateful.

I'm also aware that since the Dreamcast has little protection, there's a dedicated homebrew scene. Are there any English patches available for any good Dreamcast VNs?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post! I look forward to hearing the responses.

There are no english patches for any dreamcast VNs, or for any dreamcast games at all, as far as I can recall. And there are no official english VN releases on the dreamcast either. So it's Japanese or bust on that front.

Those are patches of the windows versions of those games. You can use releases to more accurately search for that stuff. There is only one english language dreamcast VN, and it's the result of some weird amateur porting project where they ported a web version of some VN to a bunch of different consoles: http://vndb.org/v119

And it's not even a good one.