Xenoblade Chronicles Announced For New Nintendo 3DS

Stray Cat

It can only be played on the brand new model of the 3DS. For every step forward Nintendo takes, they take 3 steps back. 

Yea I was wondering about that.  So basically they're going to force us to buy a new one eventually, so people like me who don't buy the larger versions when the come out will be forced to do so.  

Yea I was wondering about that.  So basically they're going to force us to buy a new one eventually, so people like me who don't buy the larger versions when the come out will be forced to do so.  

It really pisses me off because I bought a 3DS XL a few months ago. Likely won't be buying Nintendo again if this is how they plan on doing business now. 

Agreed on the points above.

Also... that name... (the following is stolen from a funny Forbes article)

It would be one thing if this system was a full on sequel to the 3DS, and with these kinds of upgrades, it practically is. But once again, Nintendo’s naming department has totally botched branding. From what we can tell from the announcement and subsequent marketing, I will repeat, they have actually named this new model “New 3DS,” which is an even more confusing identifier than the famously terrible “Wii U,” which misled people into thinking the brand new console was just a peripheral for the existing Wii.

But “New 3DS”? I can already imagine the conversations at the GameStop counter.

“Do you have a new 3DS?”

“I’m sorry, did you say new 3DS or New 3DS?”

“My son wants a new 3DS for his birthday.”

“A new New 3DS?”

“A new 3DS.”

“We have a used New 3DS.”

“I will take the cheapest one.”

“Ah, that would be a new old 3DS”

*child cries on his birthday*

It really pisses me off because I bought a 3DS XL a few months ago. Likely won't be buying Nintendo again if this is how they plan on doing business now. 

I'm already not buying a Wii U.  Depends how many games they shift over and the price but my guess would be most of them from now on.  

Agreed on the points above.

Also... that name... (the following is stolen from a funny Forbes article)

The sad thing is that's probably going to happen.....a lot.  

I'm wondering what nintendo is doing? When will they stop going full retard?

It's things like this that make me question my loyalty.  I've played Nintendo systems since I was little and seeing the steady decline of products has been disappointing.  I feel that a lot of their games are still incredible but unless they get their hardware in order it won't matter. 

I dont really see any difference between the New and Old 3DS XL's beyond better battery life (which admittedly would be a help), a new 3D stick (?) and coloured buttons. Will all "old" 3DS and DS games work on it like 999?

I only got my 3DS XL recently (like 2012/13) FGS and had been fine with it up until now. Hell, just today I got a Vita to play Persona 4 and Danganronpa but this is getting out of hand.

This is not the first time Nintendo did this...

The DSi was one such system, though it had an actual OS and an online store and internet connectivity and such so was a bigger improvement. It had more power too- the deal is, they didn't go around releasing exclusives for that.

But now (especially Nintendo) fanboys practically bend over as long as they get "games"- because selling them for €35 (practically $70!) in Europe and such acts did not cost them anything. So they wanted to go big-time moneygrabber mode this time, and this thing is a mid-generation like the DSi: stuck between two proper generations. 

I won't be buying this(In ways more than one), all I will do about it is keep its pictures in my OneNote file where I gather pictures of cool gaming devices, like a gallery.

If you have a 3DS already, I'd recommend you buy a Vita instead. Maybe that will be more enjoyable (definitely more affordable) to play JRPG's on.

This is not the first time Nintendo did this...

The DSi was one such system, though it had an actual OS and an online store and internet connectivity and such so was a bigger improvement. It had more power too- the deal is, they didn't go around releasing exclusives for that.

But now (especially Nintendo) fanboys practically bend over as long as they get "games"- because selling them for €35 (practically $70!) in Europe and such acts did not cost them anything. So they wanted to go big-time moneygrabber mode this time, and this thing is a mid-generation like the DSi: stuck between two proper generations. 

I won't be buying this(In ways more than one), all I will do about it is keep its pictures in my OneNote file where I gather pictures of cool gaming devices, like a gallery.

If you have a 3DS already, I'd recommend you buy a Vita instead. Maybe that will be more enjoyable (definitely more affordable) to play JRPG's on.

I have a Vita as well since all I essential play are portable games.   I feel like many companies are starting to head this way though.  Don't know if it's Nintendo's or Atlus' doing but there is no justifiable reason that Persona Q should cost $50.

I have a Vita as well since all I essential play are portable games.   I feel like many companies are starting to head this way though.  Don't know if it's Nintendo's or Atlus' doing but there is no justifiable reason that Persona Q should cost $50.

That reminds me of the time when NIS America launched its European store and gave Danganronpa 2 LE a price tag of 60 pounds... Nobody bought that of course, but people will still go out and buy PQ in droves.

Already have and played Xenoblade, I stow it right next to my copy of Suikoden 2

As for this "New 3DS" I'm basically going to treat like I'm treating the PS4, will buy when/if there's some games on it that I really want to play. Besides, already got a WiiU for Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and Xenoblade 2 (or whatever it's called) so Nintendo's gotten enough of my money for now. Will agree that's a crappy choice in name; I mean even for a lazy new name that's a bad choice. I'd have gone with 3DS Neo if I wanted to be lazy