A Quick/Short Survey ~What category of VN player you belong to?~

Christfall

Which category of VN Player are you?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. As per title, which category of VN Player are you?

• I read Translated/partially translated VNs only.
    • I read any VN I felt like reading, with assisted translation tools (VNR etc), but translated VNs are preferred.
    • I read any VN I felt like reading without translation tools, actively plays up-to-date titles.
    • I am a newbie starting out.
  2. 2. For anyone who is starting out or have not played any untranslated VN: Are you willing to learn Japanese?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither, I already know enough Japanese
    • I am actively learning Japanese now

This poll is closed to new votes

As per topic, I would just like to do a quick survey to see how people's habits are when picking a VN to play. We all love good VNs with a passion after all, and I would like to see more people willing to tackle untranslated stuff so there will eventually be a wider discussion topic (in my wild dreams) as well as for me to refrain from mention too much stuff about untranslated stuff when no one cares.  :wacko:

Feel free to share your views and points.  B)

At the moment I only read translated VN and i also try to read only fully translated ones. Because it's to depressing to have to stop a really good on in the middle (Majikoi  <_< ) ... Likewise my japanese it's not existing. But I've seen so many really interesting untranslated VN's that i will start in learning Japanese when the outdoor season goes to an end and my job is slowing down a bit. I'm really looking forward to it.

Greetz

I only read translated and partially translated VNs.  As for wanting to learn Japanese, right now it's a no.  I can only really learn one language at a time, and I really want to learn Latin soon, so I don't think it'd be a good idea to start learning Japanese until after I've learned Latin.  I doubt I'll be fluent in either language, but still, I'd like a basic grasp of Latin, at least.  Like I said, right now I don't want to learn Japanese, but in the future, yes.

Well I do love to read VN and I almost took care of those translated ones. As for the partially translated and untranslated VN, well I haven't played them because I need to learn my Japanese. I'm currently studying it and I can read some but I still can't read kanji. I know most of the VN's used kanji that's why its pretty hard on me to try to read and understand it.

Are there easy to learn lessons for learning Jap?

I'd like to learn Japanese at some point, but I've come to terms that I most likely won't ever actually do so. Maybe I'm just not cut out for it, it wouldn't be the first language I've stopped learning partway through. Maybe I don't have the patience for it. A weird thing to say when I have the patience to wait for translations that take years. A more realistic answer is that I just don't want to sacrifice any of my other hobbies to make time for learning a language. People always say "It would be faster to just learn the language yourself than to wait for translation!" but it's not that simple. Playing VNs isn't the only thing I do, and it isn't even my #1 hobby. I'm not really willing make the sacrifices it would take to learn it just so I can play some untranslated VNs, when I haven't even finished reading all of the translated ones I'm interested in. 

So I'm relying on you translators out there. Keep fighting the good fight so us lazy asses have something to read! :P

Most of the VNs I play these days are in Japanese, and I play them with translation assistance tools (and have been doing so for about 7 years now).  I have a basic understanding of the language, and as long as the writing style isn't too complex I'm able to understand the text just fine.  With each passing year I pick up a little more of the language.  It's unlikely I'll ever become fluent, but I feel I can already play basically whatever I want to play, so I'm satisfied.  Just being able to dive into just about any game that catches my fancy feels very satisfying compared to where I used to be--waiting on translations that took forever or never happened at all for games that usually weren't my primary interest.

Only translated/partially translated VNs only.

I know myself well enough that I can say learning Japanese will probably be something I'll never be able to do. It'd be nice sure, but I'd never be able to sustain the willpower or commitment it would require to get done. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person who prefers instant gratification over enjoying the fruits from a sustained effort.

I play both translated and untranslated, but usually the latter.

For some certain untranslated VNs I use VNR, mostly just to be able to read the Furigana for the Kanji (I don't use the machine translation feature) since I'm also currently learning Japanese. I try not to use this when reading VNs with simpler Japanese.

Modified the poll abit.

As I would have guessed time constraints are what prevented most people from learning Japanese. But it is certainly doable, but its a long and tedious road after all. The good thing is, you don't need to be actually very good at the Japanese (native level) to understand majority of the VNs.

Anyone has to start somewhere, myself included.

Anyways, nice to know there are more people willing to walk down the road of learning Japanese.  :lol:

I want to learn Japanese but that is probably impossible due lack of time. And last time I tried learning a new language I just didn't care (looking at you French and crappy school rules). So I stick to the translated VNs. I read some partially translated sometimes if I can't wait for a complete patch (who knows, they maybe dropped the game).

Modified the poll abit.

As I would have guessed time constraints are what prevented most people from learning Japanese. But it is certainly doable, but its a long and tedious road after all. The good thing is, you don't need to be actually very good at the Japanese (native level) to understand majority of the VNs.

Anyone has to start somewhere, myself included.

Anyways, nice to know there are more people willing to walk down the road of learning Japanese.  :lol:

I'm considering it more as a thing I'm going to do once my life gets in order but with school and everything now there's just not enough time.   Also, when I do have some free time, I would much rather play something then keep learning.   I do quite enough of that.