SC2013 - Ryoji's Blog [Kanji Stage] My Journey Into Japanese

Ryoji

well, 9 days left in Feb and i still need 75 Kanji to reach my goal. Im sure as hell going to try, but the amount of time I need to spend reviewing might make it impossible.

Goal Accomplished!! 500 Kanji!!

Ok with 3 days to spare i am now 500 Kanji in. My review times are getting kinda crazy but My new goal is 800 Kanji by March 31. I know to some of you kids, 10 a day seems a snap. Well ill just say ive been out of school longer then most of you have been alive so my brain is working overdrive lol.

Thanks to all who have offered encouragement and support so far. Its MOST appreciated and I am grateful.

Ok with 3 days to spare i am now 500 Kanji in. My review times are getting kinda crazy but My new goal is 800 Kanji by March 31. I know to some of you kids, 10 a day seems a snap. Well ill just say ive been out of school longer then most of you have been alive so my brain is working overdrive lol.

Thanks to all who have offered encouragement and support so far. Its MOST appreciated and I am grateful.

Congratulations on hitting your goal! 10/day is great, I lowered the amount I did today to save myself from burning out. That is a good idea as well, making smaller goals in between your larger one.

Good luck.

Congratulation Ryoji! After reading through your blog updates, I see that you have made some great progress over the past month. 800 Kanji is the next step. I have complete confidence that you'll hit this and all of the future goals to come, keep it up.

Awesome! Congrats on the achievment, and also good luck reaching that 800!

(I'm sorry that I'm only just getting to this! -- it's been a crazy week.)

(

)

500! Congratulations!!

This is a crazy-impressive feat. Not only have you put TONS of new information into your brain (a super-healthy and awesome thing in and of itself), but you've made enough progress to start feeling GOOD about learning Japanese. You've formed habits. You've tasted the sweet and bitter. As Bolverk said on my blog:

You really seem to have gotten into the kanji review regime. I have no reason to see why you can't do this. You will no doubt complete your goal, as it is now a part of your daily life.

Congrats. You earned it. : )

Ok guys, it's day 40 is here so heres what's going on.

Well im 600 Kanji in.

It seems ive reached a great groove now. Studying is definitely a huge part of my days now and i look forward to it a lot.

Actually time studying is around 4.5 hours a day. This is working for me. 2 hours learning and 2.5 in review. This is what is working for me :P

As its day 40, I feel like Ive accomplished quite a bit. When i started this I said I was going to give it my all and I have proven to myself that I can do this no matter what. Hell guys, If I can do this ANYONE can.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Congrats, man. You're an inspiration.

Thanks Tay, your post here is the reason I decided to start this journey. I cannot thank you enough for always helping me and helping me stay motivated!! Thank you for the support!

Much agreed. Studying something you enjoy makes it all worth it. Good job, Ryoji!

So true. Ive tried other methods, Rosetta Stone, Books, ect. This method is not only the best, its also very fun. Thank you for the support!!

So true. Ive tried other methods, Rosetta Stone, Books, ect. This method is not only the best, its also very fun. Thank you for the support!!

I have too, but the knowledge just wasn't sticking with me. Rosetta stone was throwing too many random phrases and characters in the mix trying to cover everything at once it seemed (Grammar, Characters, Speaking, Reading) which may work for some people but not so much for me.. Nor did I have the motivation that this community has provided. I'm very grateful to be a part of this challenge. I've progressed much more in the past two weeks compared to 2 months with Rosetta Stone.

I have too, but the knowledge just wasn't sticking with me. Rosetta stone was throwing too many random phrases and characters in the mix trying to cover everything at once it seemed (Grammar, Characters, Speaking, Reading) which may work for some people but not so much for me.. Nor did I have the motivation that this community has provided. I'm very grateful to be a part of this challenge. I've progressed much more in the past two weeks compared to 2 months with Rosetta Stone.

I agree, Ive learned so much since I have started this. :P

Ok guys, it's day 50

Well im 775 Kanji in.

Still in a good groove. Been kinda distracted lately but still doing the work. Studying is definitely been harder lately because my review times are crazy.

Actually time studying is still around 5 hours a day The time might be adjusted a bit due to review times.

As its day 50, I feel like Ive accomplished a bunch. The motivation is still there but i find myself getting distracted. I still have MANY long term goals to accomplish as well as short term so im not going to stop.

Ok guys, it's day 60 59 (apparently I cant count)

Well im 865 Kanji in.

Last few weeks have been very difficult for me. Having a really hard time concentrating. Just found out today that the medicine I was taking was causing the problems. Its going to take about 4-6 weeks for it to completely leave my system but I am determined to stay the course and get to 1000 Kanji by day 70.

At day 60 59 I am motivated still just glad I figured out the issue with my concentration so once that's rectified I will be unstoppable. My review/study time is the same so no change there.

I'm 100% dedicated to this. Also I recommend watching Anime with Japanese subs, its really helped me a lot. You can get good Japanese subs here! Its a great site with quality subs.

I'm behind you in the numbers, but I'm bent on hitting 1K with you. How many days do I have?

11 days. I will be at 1000 Kanji in 11 days. That's the goal right now!!

You guys really keep me motivated and i cannot thank you enough. Your support and encouragement really helps so thank you!

Awesome. I'm going to meet you there. We're almost there!! Crazy!

Also -- Just want to off my amazement and pride and congrats for learning EIGHT HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE KANJI WITH A CLOUDED BRAIN! That seriously speaks volumes about your willpower.

Seriously. Wow.

Also -- Just want to off my amazement and pride and congrats for learning EIGHT HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE KANJI WITH A CLOUDED BRAIN! That seriously speaks volumes about your willpower.

Seriously. Wow.

Thanks Tay. Its crazy how far we've come. I'm lucky I have such a wonderful Wife because Kotomi has been instrumental in helping keep me focused and motivated. I wouldn't be as far as I am without her.

ありがとう 琴美

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, it's day 75 (Ive been slacking on the updates recently sorry about that)

Well im 1,040 Kanji in.

Well I reached my goal of 1000 Kanji by day 70. Im very proud to say that. Setting goals is a great way to remain focused. Now that my mind is getting clear its becoming easier.

Ive had a bit more time (since the addition of our great new mods) it definitely helps.

My study times are going to decrease for the next few weeks (due to other stuff im focusing on i.e. VN project Rins Mysteries) I still plan to keep learning 10 kanji a day but it might drop to 5 some days.

I'm still very determined to keep learning. Ive been watching pretty much all my anime(except the new season) with Japanese subs, its really helping me a lot. SO thats a way to keep learning :)

Thanks for your continued support and ill try to update more regularly.