VN elements

Totodile

What's your favorite part of a VN  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that a VN loses it's interest if the CGs are not great even if it has a great premise and storyline?

• Yes it does, i would like some i candy with that route
    • If it has tits i'm satisfied
    • Nope, i read it for the plot so CGs aren't my main concern
    • I would love if it did have good CGs but i wouldn't cast it aside if the story was great.

This poll is closed to new votes

What I DO find strange is option 2 still having ZERO votes. I think some people are fibbing...

...why would you sit through a long storyline if you just wanted to see boobs?  That'd be like buying the Mass Effect games just to see the sex scenes.  There's boobs everywhere on the internet, after all.

I just find it strange that people don't give much care about visual in a VISUAL novel.

Visual is not everything for me, but yeah, if it's suck, then it's likely that I will drop it soon or later (except that it has incredible story or such)

+1. Visual's not everything, that are tons of VN with great art by crappy stories but they sell better than some with poor art.

People can vote for "Only story matters" because they have the luxury to choose which to play "second-hand" and not actually have to "pay" for anything. 

Genuine JP players that actually spend at least 8,000 yen on a newly released game mostly pay for the art only. Most of the people who don't care about art are picking up titles based on reviews and recommendations where they know it can't go bad. Players that play them first-hand don't have that option.

I've played both old and new VNs and have noticed graphics are improving very fast. Now there's hardly any 600*800 resolution VNs released among the ones that get focus. Not all new VNs are better, there are lots of bland ones, however I feel the worst level has become better... among the ones that get focus.

There are those old gems where it doesn't matter that the graphics are bad (in the eyes of today), there's no voice-acting etc etc, they are still good. There's a reason behind Kanon getting translated 10 years after being made.

However they made many crappier titles back then. It feels like they are focusing on a concept that works and now releases many more great-to-bland VNs leaving out the bad with the drawback the diversity has went down. Or I'm just glorifying the nostalgia.